Comparison and photos: Givi sport touring vs Zero Gravity double bubble

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by sfdownhill, May 6, 2017.

1. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    I purchased my 5th gen with a Givi windscreen - some call it a sport touring screen.
    IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg

The Givi was fine for quick twisties and on a 10 day trip, but I noticed when I stood up to stretch while riding, my head and shoulders would be up in much smoother air than when seated behind the Givi. I liked the smoother air, so when Joey_Dude parted out his 5th gen, I bought his Zero Gravity double bubble because of its lower profile:
    IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0823.JPG

There would certainly be more wind on my head and shoulders with the Zero Gravity, but I hoped it would be smoother like the wind above the Givi. The result of the comparison - taken over several rides on slab and twisties, all during April days and nights in Southern California - was that yes, there was a slight bit less turbulence behind the Zero Gravity, but there was a lot more air hitting my bare neck. Even in temperate San Diego county, exposed body parts were noticeably colder compared to the Givi. My subjective impression is that the reduction in turbulence behind the Zero Gravity isn't nearly enough to offset the temperature penalty. I'm going to switch back to the Givi. I will try the Zero Gravity again when we get to our hot season in a month or so...
    Cheers all.

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Windscreens are a personal taste item - like grips and seats and helibars etc. I like the DB big time... -- -seems like what is popular, I like the opposite....

Beers for all.....

3. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Yessir, Mello. Personal preference rules for all the body-contact parts you mentioned. I was all set to love the Dub Bub windscreen to death, expected it to be all smooth wind and soft breezes. T'weren't so for me.

In my last life as a bicycle racer, bike fit was critical, but it turns out a cyclist only contacts the bicycle in three places; handlebars, seat, and pedals. Put those three in a relationship that works for the rider's build and allows maximum power generation, and you have a fit. Comfort is subjective - a bicycle racer's riding position would kill me now.