Complementary Bike

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by zPix87, Apr 15, 2010.

1. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

I love my VFR, but there are several things that it can't do, or things that I don't want to do with it. Earlier this spring, the weather was nice, but my bike was trapped in the garage because the alley was muddy. This sparked the idea of getting a dual sport bike - something that I can get dirty. Also, a little enduro would be great to commute to work and classes on in town. Of course, my VFR would still be my main bike.

So I've been looking for a few months now and I've ran across everything from KLR 250s and 650s to old Honda XL500s. They are all appealing to me, but some are just too expensive or don't have a clear title (something I am insisting on).

Yesterday, I ran across this little beauty on Craigslist. Any thoughts?

HONDA NX250-DUAL SPORT-MOTORCYCLE FOR SALE

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I think they are decent bikes and it matches your other one. Seems a little pricey to me but the seller is right, they are rare. Might make parts a little harder to get, but you are probably used to that riding an 87 VFR. Hell, it's a Honda so you probably won't have to buy much.

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map

All I have to say is....."do it in da dirt".....you won't regret.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Those are my thoughts exactly Reg. I think its cool how it matches my bike! And parts will be harder to come by, but I can fall off of that bridge when I get there.

5. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    I had a NX 650, great bike but I never rode a 250.

Attached Files:

6. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Wow, that 650 looks GREAT!!

I would honestly prefer a 650 just for the better highway ability, but I don't think I'll have any problems if I get the 250...it'll do what I need it to do!

7. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    Too bad they don't sell them in the US, Euro market they were called Dominator and now FMX. They used the bulletproof XR650L engine.

Attached Files:

8. derstuka

Map
    I would not recommend a 250 (enduro) for highway duty. You are gonna be ringin' her neck....and forget about it if you have to accelerate out of the way of something (trucks, semi's, etc)...you are already tapped out. 400cc + is my recommendation. 600cc + if you are gonna do extended highway duty.

Look at XR's, DR's, and KLR's. There is a lot of stuff on the market right now. The more common and readily available bike you get, the cheaper it will be, and cheaper the parts will be if you should need to fix it.

What is your height by the way?

9. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    During the mid 80's when I first got my motorcycle license I bought a Honda XL350 just like the pic below. I loved that bike and have many good memories on it. Riding it off road definately made me a much better street rider. Now 20 years later I am seriously considering a dual sport too so that I can hit some of the forest service roads in North GA. I really would enjoy having a buddy to ride with in case I get stuck out in the woods and am sure I could find one in a dual sport forum. The decision to get means selling either the Anniversary Edition 800 or the mint condition pearl white 3rd Gen with only 10,700 miles on it. This Saturday is open house at BMW of Atlanta so that means demo rides and free brats! Maybe I'll go test ride the 1200 Adventure again.

[​IMG]

Rollin

10. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

I wasn't saying that I was going to have the 250 out on the highway, but it would be nice to have a bike that had that ability. A KLR 650 would be perfect, but I'm having trouble finding one in my price range.

I'm 6'2 by the way, and my first bike was a KLR 250, and it was just fine around town for me.

11. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Perhaps this?

97 KAWASAKI KLR 650

Its not a Honda, but these bikes have a cult following of their own...not to mention plenty of aftermarket opportunities.

12. derstuka

Map

Who cares if it is a honda...long as it has a good rep. DR's, KLR's, XR's, they all work just fine.....all have lots of aftermarket duties. Talking stock, XR's are better offroad, KLR's are better long distance, and DR's fit somewhere inbetween. Watch out for '08 KLR's though, they go thru oil (consume) like the exxon valdez. Kawi seems to have remedied this for '09 though.

I misunderstood, as I was under the impression that you were going to see some highway duty. Sounds like you know what you want and have it covered. Good luck in your search.

13. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

The search continues...

I am still looking for another bike to putt around town on, to try and ease the workload on my viffer. Local craigslists aren't abundant with options right now, but I did run across this bike -

http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/1924564827.html

I really like the looks of this bike, but does the seller want too much? I am having trouble finding a kbb or nada value of the bike.

Also, I found a nice man with an 88 Honda NX 125 for $750. He hasn't sent pics yet and wasn't sure how many miles were on it when I called him on Friday, but he said it was in good shape and ran strong. My only concern of this bike is that it would be too small for my frame. Thanks for any input!

EDIT: The bike in the first link must have sold quickly. This link is just like it, just doesn't look as clean.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  14. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

15. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    You never stated what your price range is. This info may help to narrow the search field properly.

I think that knobbies would look great on a VF500. Then you would have a nice set.

:crazy:

16. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Sorry, thats my bad.

I'm looking to spend no more than $1,500 on this second bike. Something at or under 1,000 would be awesome. I realize that I probably wont find anything too fancy, but I just need a good running bike that looks decent. I have my VFR to look pretty.

17. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Attached Files:

18. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Talking to myself...

Heres some pictures of the XT550 from a few posts up. Looks really clean!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  19. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Professional Opinions Needed!

If given the choice between a 1999 Suzuki DR650se or a 1997 KLR 650, what would you buy?

Both bikes are super clean!

My main concerns are part availability and durability. I'm leaning towards the KLR right now, but the newer Suzuki is tempting.

Both bikes book below my budget (new and improved at 2k), but the owner of the DR wants 2700 for it (books for 1,995).

So you dual sporters...any thoughts or advice for me?

20. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I was trying to find where I read that the KLR is essentially the same bike unchanged for like the last 15yrs. I know they are very popular around here.