Considering an '85 VF500F: What do I need to know?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Motographer, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Motographer

Motographer New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey guys, I usually stick to the 5th-gen forum by virtue of owning one, but there's a serious deal near me on a VF500F, and I'm just wondering if it's too good to be true, or if I should go for it. I've always liked the look of the mid-80's Interceptors, and I'm thinking it might be something I could hold onto for my wife after she learns to ride and gets some experience. Either way, the more knowledge the better, so if there are any red flags or known major issues to look for with these bikes. Text of the craigslist ad as follows:

"Im selling my 1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor. I bought this bike from the original owner and have had the bike in my possession for the last 4 years and has always been garage kept. This bike is an icon in Honda's history. The 500cc V4 made a crazy 70 horsepower at the redline of 11,500 rpm. These were some of the first sport bikes produced to the market and are becoming more and more rare. Although my bike is not quite showroom condition, it looks very good for being 28 years old. It would not take much to have this bike looking like it just rolled out of the factory in Japan. It runs fantastic and I just replaced the stator cover gasket as well as adjusted the valve clearances. Just replaced the front and rear tires with Bridgestones battlax bt-45. Brand new rear brake pads and the fronts were replaced within a year. The bike has 23,000 miles on it and is just getting broken in. The seat has a couple tears and there are a few minor scratches on the plastic."

Thanks for reading!

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I would pass and get a Ninja 650 twin; thats a bike that has FI and wont have you stuck on the side of the road...Just my opinion, that 500 might make a good coffee table if you got access to a nice piece of tempered glass :loco:

There are better Hondas to own than that minicepter btw...just my two cents. Cheers.

3. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Impossible to answer your question really. Depends on so many things. Bottom line is if you want it, then why not? They can give trouble but then so can any vehicle if neglected. The VF really doesn't take kindly to neglect so that could be a go/no go for you. In my opinion and I have one btw, I don't think the VF makes for a good learner bike, just because it needs so much tlc.

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Suspension will be shot, valve springs are a ticking timebomb, no way to know if the cam lobes are in good shape without seeing them for yourself.

Fun riding bike if the price is right, you enjoy projects, and have some emotional attachment to the model. Otherwise I'd pass. As said previously, there are better starter bikes out there.

5. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

Here's my 2c after dealing with a finicky one for a couple years. As an only bike, I wouldn't do it. As an add on to your 5th Gen, it could be a distinct possibility. Of course there is no way to ask the guy to open up the motor to look for any fuckery. But have him start it, and let it idle for a few minutes by itself. Listen to the motor closely for any audible problems or major jumps/bogs in idle speed. If you aren't test riding it, give the throttle a few pulls and feel for bogs and bad fueling. If the carbeuration isn't right, it could be a simple tweak or downright torture. Getting the carbs right on mine was a years worth of a combination of what felt like BDSM and beating my head in with a rusty spike. :hangme: But when we FINALLY got the carbs right, the thing was an absolute joy. Yeah, I was always kind of worried about something going wrong in the engine, but I was never hard on the thing. I wouldn't worry about any scratches or tears in the seat, just hidden damage from a major spill. Parts availability was somewhat scarce too at going on 29 years old...

But yeah, it could be a fun second bike/ project bike.

6. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    When I bought my '85 with 14K on it, been sitting for a few years, it needed the carbs cleaned & some 0-rings replaced. Followed the FSM, carbs came out fine with no issues. I pulled the cam covers, everything looked good, adjusted the rocker clearances. Did some minor cosmetic work, paint touchup, painted the head pipes and collector with VHT, put on new brake pads , tires, new chain and sprockets. I have put over 4K on it since with no issues at all, just changed oil & filter & the usual maintenance stuff. I agree with Porkchop that is probably not a 1st bike, but it is an absolute blast to ride, turns heads wherever I go on it.

7. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    70 horse power is factory claimed specsnot actual numbers that is miss leading. I've owned my bike for 7 years with zero problems well other than carb issues but that's the nature of the beast. There great bikes and a blast to ride there some food for thought.

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Don't rev it above 9K. :nelson:

If it's a fine runner it's a fine collector's 3rd or 4th bike in the stable, probably never best as an only bike, and, after all, 28 years behind most current tech, and, maybe, statistically fragile.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  9. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    If it looks good, go for it! You won't regret it.

10. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    How much is much?

11. commrad

commrad New Member

I love mine and it has been trouble free after I fixed everything the PO messed up. HOWEVER they are not for the faint of heart, parts are hard if not impossible to find, they are hard to work on and not a good learner bike mainly for this reason. The thing that's makes them fun for experienced riders and easy to control for beginners is their light weight, it's also an Achilles heal for beginners because it's not as stable as newer bikes that weight the same or less.

with some upgrades it's hard to find anything on the road that will handle as well as they. I've only ran into one bike that would out corner mine with gold valves in the front and fox twincker in the back.