Cool...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by swoop45acp, Apr 17, 2007.

1. swoop45acp

swoop45acp New Member

...It is always a pleasure to find like minded individuals in the world......it's then you realize, appreciate and say, "Thank God, it's not just me who is crazy."

Seriously, this forums members seem extremely informative about any and all aspects of the VFR (hence the name). Although I currently own several bikes, some that are Hondas, I am looking to buy my first VFR so this was the logical place to start and get educated beforehand.
    It is a comfort to know that there is a place to find the answers to your questions. Thanks.

Greatly appreciated,
    swoop

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hi swoop!

Remember, just because you are paranoid does not mean they arn't out to get you!

LOL

BZ

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Hey swoop, welcome to the group. Ditto What BZ said. :thumb:

4. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    All different flavors, but there are definitely some interesting Folks here!

they are only out to get you BZ. They are coming!!! the mind police!!!
    I am always referencing the movie Gattaca, and how our New World Order is slipping there...

VFR's Rule!:lever:

5. swoop45acp

swoop45acp New Member

"Perhaps...

... its the result of an anxiety." -B.Z.

Too cool. Thanks for the invite guys. Was just checking it out this morning before work.

swoop

"Joviality is the game of children." - B.Z.
    LOL:caked:

(BTW IMO one of the best movies ever made.):flame:

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map

"Looking for our friend...come in on the train"

Thanks Swoop! LOL Always good to have another Mad MAx fan

Vman and Varollon always have good advice and general things to say on the site, you'll see them alot!

Again Welcome

7. Jaymz

Jaymz New Member

Map
    welcome to the site. Any idea what Generation you are looking for?

These are 2 of my favorites

"speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"- Grease Rat

"Jimmy the Goose!!! As large as life and twice as ugly!!!"- Jim Goose

8. swoop45acp

swoop45acp New Member

Hmmmm.....

........I was looking at a few 2003 VFRs. Reason is that I want a rock solid commuter bike for work, I'm riding about 60 -70 miles. I thought the available saddlebags and possibility of a trunk would be advantageous since I need the room for the multitude of items I carry for work.
    Add that to the reputation of the VFR being a rock solid bike with good performance as well as its comfortability behind the bars and you can see how it became one of my first contenders for my next bike.
    But, I'm open to opinions to educate me more so I can make an informed decision. I have motorcycles but I have never owned a VFR. However, four out of my five are Honda's which I'm partial to.
    Ahh yes I also see there Mad Max fans about. Damn right it's a great movie!:popcorn:
    Love the quotes. I actually own the trilogy. They're in my personal top five list.
    Thanks for your help.

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    OMG, LOL I'm not sure what to say, other than welcome to the asylum.

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map

thought I was the only person who watched that movie... I have seen it like 3 or 4 times... welcome to the site btw swoop. glad to have you here...

11. swoop45acp

swoop45acp New Member

So...

...alrighty then. Apparently there is an almost endless amount of information concerning the VFR. I have been reading, browsing, and asking questions about this bike and here is what I've determined thus far:
    -everyone loves their VFR.
    -not everyone owns the same year.
    -therefore not all VFR's are created equal to everyone.
    LOL:smile:
    For instance I read on a post that a 5G has better power than a 6G.
    Fact or opinion?
    I suppose the difference in opinions concerning these bikes are directly relative to what the rider really wants or hopes to gain from the bike itself.
    I need a solid commuter bike with hauling capabilities. Naturally a 6G seemed a good choice. But, would another generation VFR be just as capable, or better, suited for me? How about if we include ALL aspects of the bike such as regular maintenance, cost and availibilty of repair parts, gas efficiency, insurance rates, etc?
    I have a 1995 Triumph Daytona 900. Nice bike. However, it was a pain in the arse to find parts for it until recently. I probably won't buy another one.
    There are just so many other bikes out there. So before I get yet another bike I want to get all the info I can about the bike so that it may better meet my expectations and needs.
    Also, I appreciate all of the opinions, facts, real life experiences, and more importantly humorous (mind altering) discussions about non related topics.
    BTW (speaking of mind altering) I am listening to Hocus Pocus by Focus while writing this post. Meanwhile the chase scene to get the Night Rider from Mad Max is on my TV with the volume turned down. If you start the song when you first see Jimmie the Goose's KZ1000 it's pretty cool.
    Later y'all...

12. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    Welcome swoop! Where are you at in NC? I take it you own a handgun given your name. Required hardware around here....

This is a wonderful site with volumes of info on any generation VFR you are looking at. Great guys, great opinions, and no little dweebs getting mouthy or making rude or stupid comments during a thread they happen to disagree with. Everyone has thick skin, too, so that when opinions do differ, everyone acts grown up about it, which is nice. This really IS a stupid-free site, unlike many other bike related sites!! You will enjoy it.

I live in Fayetteville. Let me know if you want to link up, I will be happy to show you all the glory that is known as a 5G. :smile:

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    This article will answer a lot of your questions ---> http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/2002_honda_vfr_800_interceptor/

Pretty close I think. I like the 5g (naturally) but would probably have been just as happy with a 6g or 4g. Although now that I have my bike and have read more about the VTEC, I'm not overly impressed. I'm not crazy about the linked brakes that started in 98, but I love having FI which started in 98 also. Fuel economy is so close as to be a non-issue. Parts are getting scarcer the older you go, but I can still buy full plastics and tank from servicehonda for reasonable costs. Mainteneance is slightly cheaper on the 5g than the 6g (judging from the posts about the service costs from 6g riders). Don't forget the gear driven cams on the old bikes, though. Some people are very fond of hearing those.

I'll have to give that try. We're pretty good about chasing a topic all over the damn place before finishing a thought. One thing I have noted about the VFR is the cameraderie that we seem to have. I have noticed that VFRs if in a groups of riders, are usually not alone. That might be just around here, but Tori and I met through this site as did Brian and I and we all get together and ride fairly often. I have met several people through vfrworld and gone riding with them also. It's nice to meet like-minded individuals. In conclusion, I think you'll be happy whichever way you go. It's a great bike, and for what you want to do, it should fit the bill just fine.

14. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Horrible bike, stay away... :spy:
    Alright, it's not.

My daily commute is about 110 miles round trip, every other week I have a 200+mile day. It's no problem at all for the VFR or me (even with the stock seat).

Which gen? That's a tough one... I went 5th gen PURELY for the sound. Fun story actually. Like to hear it?

I was ferrying a plane to Nebraska and got stuck in Albuquerque because of a line of thunderstorms. So my buddy and I were walking around downtown that night and I heard this thunder coming through the buildings... It sounded like a nascar approaching... Couldn't believe my eyes when the source got closer.

A little red bike pulled up to the stop light next to us, then took off and screamed out of the city... My first comment was, "f-n squiddy!" (the guy was in a t-shirt). Then I said, "WTF was that? I need one!"

A VFR nut was born... And that was a 5th Gen with Staintune exhaust...

So a few months later I get a call while in Vegas to go find a VFR and see if it fits cuz my buddy had a line on a pristine 5th gen. Raced across town and sat on a 6th gen and it fit great, so after a few emailed pictures I bought the thing site-unseen...

I think the 5th & 6th gens are just as comfortable (they both fit me quite nice), but the gear whine of the 5th gen is unbeatable...

15. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Swoop - you have a pretty cool fleet. Some real classics.

5G vs 6G? Whoa that a buzz saw! Ive banged on that one enuff.

-Watch out for the people that are a legend in their own mind.....

MD

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like we need to do a 3rd 4th 5th 6th gen comporo test. When and where? I say>

17. cobra919

cobra919 New Member

Hmmm. An extended road trip to the middle of the country to meet up with other VFR maniacs and compare notes, bikes, and more. Could it happen? Waddaya think RVFR? Would Swoops wanna meet this wacky bunch?

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    we've been hashin that out for a year. it's just nigh impossible with all the different schedules, etc. involved...

19. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map

A comparison with all the different generations? Just when we were all getting along so good :lol:

20. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I know. I have been holding it in, but we may as well say it. 5G is the best. :biggrin: It won how many bike of the year awards? Several. Amazed everyone in the magazine industry (almost) that they actually improved on the 4G which was a magazine sweetheart for rideability. I mean every review I read, the worst thing mentioned was that the 5G may be too refined and reliable as to make it seem boring. I almost hate to type that cause I have a hard time seeing how any vfr can be thought boring. 6G was still great just pissed some peeps off dropping the gear driven cam and adding vtec. Also, I think almost everyone agrees, it wouldn't have hurt anyone's feelings if they shaved a few pounds on it at least, but I don't see many of us running out to get a crotch rocket. (they have no soul)