Corbin vs Sargent vs Stock

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by rtisan, Aug 3, 2010.

1. rtisan

rtisan New Member

has anyone done a comparison test between a corbin, sargent and stock seat for a 02-09 VFR? i only ask because i recently bought a 06 that has a sargent seat on it right now, and i think the seat totally sucks. i cant ride for more than 40 miles without a good amount of pain in my rear end. im thinking of switching to a corbin, but if the comfort level is going to be the same i dont want to waste my money. i bought this bike after reading all the reviews and reports of people who absolutely loved this bike and were able to put hundreds of miles a day on these things with hopes of doing the same. is it just the design of the bike that puts a ton of weight on your tail bone? or is it really just the saddle that sucks. ive been riding a TL1000 for the last 6 years and am sick of being uncomfortable. please advise...

2. tanrush

tanrush New Member

I have a 5th Gen VFR with a Sargent seat and I love it. I can easily do 400 miles a day. The stock seat is ok but the Sargent has much more cushion in the right places for me. I had a Corbin on a Nighthawk and that thing was hard.
    Although I don't have an actual comparison for the 02-09 VFR I don't know why your Sargent would be such a problem.
    What is the rest of your set up? You may want to check further into your suspension settings.

3. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a sergeant. I have ridden as far as 560miles in a day. 200-300 mile days are the norm. My behind was very uncomfortable on stock seat. At 150 miles it started to get uncomfortable. After the Sargent, It has been much much better.

I love mine. You can move yours pretty quickly here or on eBay if you price it right. People love them.

4. rtisan

rtisan New Member

wow, 560 in a day? i wish i could do that. maybe im just not used to it yet (the seat or the riding position). im coming from a bike where all my weight was on my wrists, now on the honda all my weight is on my butt, maybe it just takes some getting used to. i ordered a stock seat from ebay and tried it out last night. my first impression was that the seat was much cushier. it provided a more comfortable ride around town, but i can only imagine that the lack of support in the cushioning will be a problem on a longer ride. ill try it out and report back.

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I used to feel like my ass was bleeding :xxx::ass: after 100 miles of slabbing on the stock seat, but I was skeptical after hearing all of the praise for the Sargent, so I sprung for one, and let me tell you, it was night and day difference for me. I have done over 500 miles in a day no problem. Well, I was still sore of course (with any seat you would me), but with the stocker with anywhere near those miles I was contemplating jumping off a bridge to ease the pain.
    :hangme:

It all comes down to what your arse likes, and it sounds like it does not like a Sargent. I have ridden on all three, and the Corbin was much worse than the stocker according to my ass-O-meter. I was not a fan of them when I was younger, but I just recently tried them again, and oh my lord, I would rather sit on an upholstered cinderblock than a Corbin. A Corbin is just very very hard to me. They say that you need to ride and ride to break in a Corbin, well, I have felt broken in ones, and they feel the same....HARD! Lots of people love Corbin, and that is all good. I am not trying to dissuade you from buying one, they just do not work for me is all. Maybe your Sargent is worn out, or you just need to put some Charmin in your pants for your sensitive arse. heehee. Like BP mentioned, if you do not like it, I would sell it, because they are in pretty high demand.

Good luck in your decision.

6. plasma

plasma New Member

Map
    I have a Sergent seat on my vetec ,its great .I can ride 400 miles no prob .

Plasma.

7. ECHO 800

ECHO 800 New Member

I too would recommend the Sargent. I bought the bike in May, took a 1400 mile trip on her in June on the stock seat. When I returned home I promptly ordered the Sargent and have no regrets!

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    not on 6th gen but I did on 5th gen: http://vfrworld.com/forums/gear-accessories/20631-seat-comparo-stock-v-corbin-v-sargent.html

The people I know who have 6th gens with Sargents like them. I have heard from some corbin people that if you buy the seat new, then break it in for you, it's awesome. I cannot comment to that as I haven't done it. That being said, if you get the Corbin, you can easily make back some of your money on selling the Sargent on here or fleabay. And, if you hate the corbin also, you can sell it for half or more usually. Are you trying them with leathers or jeans or what? That actually makes a diff in comfort also.

9. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I have ridden 1000 miles between a Saturday/Sunday with my Sargent. I decided to get the Sargent after I rode up to Tanrush's place and felt the pain. It's a little over an hour ride.

However, like derstuka said, trust your own ass-O-meter to be the judge. If the Sargent isn't working for you either get a Corbin or have your stock seat reworked by either of those company's. This is assuming you have the stock one. <shrug>