Cornering speeds

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by CharlesW, May 21, 2011.

1. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

Having recently read a post about taking 25mph posted corners at 80+mph, I was wondering how many of you are doing this on street tires. Pilot Road 2 or something similar as an example

Most of the corners on the few twisty roads available to me have 35 and 40 mph posted speeds, but very few 25.
    It also seems there is some difference of opinion among the people posting those speeds. There is quite a difference in the radius and the camber between some corners that might both be posted 40 mph.

Anyway, 20 over is quite comfortable, 30 over is doable with no problem, (Usually), and 40 over makes my heart beat a little faster.

Am I just a wuss? Man, 80+ in a 25 is getting into the 60 over range and myheart wouldn't beat faster, it would stop.

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    In my experience you can't tell the severity of a corner by the speed posting. I've gone around 25 mph corners at double that and barely leaned the bike, other corners I've gone around at 10 + and felt barely safe. A well banked, smoothly radiused corner can be railed around if the pavement is good. If the corner is off camber, decreasing radius, lousy surface, etc. then the cornering speed will be waay down from corners that are like the former.

A 25 mph corner in Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, is at least a 45 mph corner in South Carolina. :smile:

3. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

As a general rule, corners in Iowa are not really banked.
    It seems like the back roads I usually ride are crowned with a slope to each side from the center.
    This does make for a slight bank for right handers, but it is quite common to have the left handers with an off camber towards the outside of the corner.

4. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    Experience has a huge roll to play. I've rode with some guys that would make you say HOLLY SHIT!

5. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Those corner speed markers/signs rarely show a speed that is determined by the severity/sharpness of the curve. It has more to do with sight distance and speed you should take to give yourself plenty of time to see an object or hazard and properly avoid it while coming around the corner.

Given the same curve, the more your vision is blocked because of trees or a cliff on the inside part of the curve, the slower the posted speed will be.

6. camo

camo New Member

Map
    There is good advice in the previous posts. Here is my take.

Doing 80 in tight corners on the street, you are a squid. No trophy for being first on the street.

Go to a race track. Much more fun, better traction, people there to tell you of crap on the road. A chance at the same corner every minute or two. I raced WERA for some time in the 80's. Road pavement is not designed for high traction. You won't believe the difference.

I don't go into blind corners too fast. Always at a speed that I can accelerate and see ahead at the speed I am going. Nothing worse than finding an obstacle on the road and have to be on the brakes before you have to ride it off or into another vehicle.

7. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    It's all about site lines for me, if I can see I am free. If I can be confident then I can go for it, if not, then you better be prepared to deal with what is coming and who knows what is coming but God.

8. Parker VFR

Parker VFR New Member

That was probably this ol' squid. JK - Not a squid or anywhere close. For me - the road was uphill (which seems to give me a lot of confidence knowing I can stop sooner). The road is old mining road that nobody uses - so nobody around for miles (which makes me feel a little safer). The section of road that I rode has been recently paved with no bumps/ holes/ etc. Plus my line of sight is pretty good with no blind curves at all. It only lasts about 1 mile, but it's fun. You just have to run it several times. It reminds me of Blood Mountain in GA - but just really short. I think the posted 25 probably is there due to the mining trucks working there during the week. Maybe should be higher IMO. But - the run was the most fun I've had in a while. Probably a good thing it's so short. Kinda takes your breath away - but not the grin. :biggrin:

EDIT: Oops - my bad on the mph thing. I had a video and after reviewing it, the 80 was in the straights (the only time I glanced at the speedo). The actual curves were more like 65 mph. Sorry 'bout all the hoopla over that. Just a senior moment I guess.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  9. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    Link Please: to the thread with the , "I can do 80mph on a 20mph corner" Personally, I only know a handful of "triple the limit" corners. Quadruple??? I gotta see this $#!+...

10. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

The posted speed was 25 not 20 so it's only a little over 3 times the posted speed.:smile:

The intent of my post is not to debate just how fast anyone can corner, but rather to find out just how many members do corner that aggressively.
    (I don't):redface:

11. MiddleTBabb

MiddleTBabb New Member

United States
    Map
    This one time, at band camp...

but seriously, guys, for our own good, let's not fly through BLIND corners. If you can see the other side and it's clear, have some fun. otherwise, be safe!