counter shaft sprocket question

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by wilburj, Jan 28, 2010.

1. wilburj

wilburj New Member

I want to drop a tooth on my 04 counter shaft sprocket to get a little quicker acceleration. An acquaintance said that dropping a tooth on the front can cause excess torque on the counter shaft and has seen bent shafts because of this modification. That would be a very expensive fix. Any ideas? I would love the extra kick a dropped tooth would give but not so much on a bent shaft. thank you wilburj

2. steven113

steven113 New Member

Quite the oppisite... dropping a tooth on the front would actualy be easier on the crankshaft because of gearing down. However because of the smaller diamiter of the front sprocket it will be slightly harder on your chain.

3. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

you can always go + 2 or +3 in rear

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Go +2 on the rear sprocket, I don't recommend dropping a tooth on the countershaft sprocket for a couple of reasons.

1.) Dropping a tooth requires the chain to travel a tighter path over the sprocket, and contrary to what was posted earlier, it does put excessive wear and tear on the chain, the sprocket, and the output shaft.
    2.) Going smaller on the front also changes the chain line angle, in relation to the swingarm pivot. This has a negative effect on the rear suspension.
    3.) If the chain becomes loose, from stretching associated with wear, there is the potential that the chain will cause unneccessary wear on the swingarm chain slider.

It's not worth the accelleration to cause so many other negative effects. Go +2 on the rear and avoid the negative effects.

5. wilburj

wilburj New Member

I think the +2 is probably the way to go. I have been looking for bigger sprockets and can not seem to find any. Any ideas? Also going up 2 on rear will I need a longer chain? wilburj

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    chain is OK but you'll need to rotate adjuster forward to set tension.....

avoid alloy sprockets as they wear FAR quicker than steel.

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Now i'm not going to do all of the necessary research for you, but I will tell you that the sprockets are out there. A modern, good quality, hardcoated, alloy sprocket, used in conjunction with a good chain maintenance program will last a long time. If you want to run steel, go ahead. But the idea that just because the sprocket is alloy, doesn't mean the sprocket is going to last 5k miles. Modern technology has come a long way and a good hardcoated sprocket will have an acceptable lifespan and less mass.

Also, it isn't a good idea to not change the chain, as you will need 112 links for a +2 conversion. By just slamming the eccentric all the way forward, other things take place, like shortening of the wheel base and also the fact that you will be changing the chassis geometry. The eccentric is designed so that the chain can be adjusted within a specific range without causing many adverse effects to the chassis. By slamming the eccentric forward and using the stock 110 link chain, you are taking the adjustment out of this "happy place". You can do whatever you want, but I would use the correct length chain. After all, you should be changing both sprockets and the chain at the same time and a 112 link chain is no more expensive than a 110 link chain.

8. wilburj

wilburj New Member

NorcalBoy thank you for the info you have been quite helpful, but if I ask real nice --perhaps beg and plead would you do all the research for me PLEASE? just kidding I found a very good supplier at Drive Systems. Lots of good stuff there, so I spent some money there. Not that it matters because it's 10 degrees and icy outside again and again and again and again. I got used to some mild winters the last few years but this year it has been cold cold cold since before Christmas. wilburj

9. steven113

steven113 New Member

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

You are the man! I didn't want to come off as a dick, but I firmly believe that you are now exponentially more empowered by doing your own research. By searching out and obtaining the knowledge you required, you have now achieved motorcycle gearing zen! Congratulations!

11. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Nicely done, both of you.

12. wilburj

wilburj New Member

What? you are talking way above my head man with all this zen stuff---does empowered mean my bike will go faster? wilburj

13. wilburj

wilburj New Member

Well I just received my 45 tooth rear sprocket from drivesystems and it is quite nice. I did not realize it would be powder coated black but it is and it looks great. Now if the temp would just get above 10 degrees I would like to try it out. Oh it cost $45.00 delivered. wilburj