cracks in near new tyre

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by madmax3022, Apr 26, 2009.

1. madmax3022

madmax3022 New Member

Map
    hi i've had a tyre on the front for about 2000kms now and recently noticed cracks on either side of the centre, about 1-2cm either side of the centre, this prompted me to check the pressure and i found that it only had 25psi when the manual reccomended 36. I pumped it up and now it seems that when i go into a corner it feels a bit snakey and moves around a bit, is this just due to pressure or has the tyre been damaged from low pressure? The tyre still has the little rubber knobby bits on most of it so its not old. Should i reduce pressure? it felt a bit unsettled before i had the new tyre but now it seems more noticable

2. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Bizarre, what type of tyres is it ? whats its age has it been sitting in someones garage the last 10 years ? Have you pictures ?
    36 PSI is perfect for the VFR for most tyres so looks like your issue is most probably your current front tyre.

Note - Tyres have their date of manufacture cast into the sidewall, the last four numbers give the week and the year the tyre was made eg (2104) will be the 21st week of 2004. Also tyre makers usually recommend a tyre be replaced after 4 years regardless of mileage.

3. madmax3022

madmax3022 New Member

Map
    hmm ok, i'll grab all of the details and photos and post them tomorrow, thanks for the help. I'm new to the vfr and have absolutely no idea about suspension setup but i spoke to another bloke about this bit of unsettling handling and he suggested that due to my attempted wheelies and resulting heavy landing once or twice that i have either moved the fr shocks 2-5mm on one side up through the clamps or done something internally? how do i check?

4. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    So, your new to a VFR but attempt wheelies? To each his own, I suppose.

My 2 suggestions, and not necessarily in this order:

1. If your tire is cracked, replace it. Its only a matter of time before it blows.

2. Invest in some nice gear if you haven't already.

Good luck.

5. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    to check fork height you can measure from the triple clamp to the bottom of the fork or from the triple clamp to the top of the fork

if either measurement is not even side to side, fix it.

6. betarace

betarace New Member

the weediness is prob due to a flat spot from running 25psi, would replace for that reason alone... the cracks make it a no brainer...

7. madmax3022

madmax3022 New Member

Map
    the tyre is a bridgestone battlax bt54f, VJD2608 26th week 2008? is that right? i tried to get a photo of the cracks but they are so small they would not show up on the photo....... could i take it back to the bike shop and get it replaced as it is practically new? would it be classed as a product failure or would it be caused by me? sorry i could not supply a photo and i realise it is very hard to give advise without seeing it, all advise is welcomed :)

8. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Guess so not having a BT-54's before not sure how the the date is presented or what the VJD might mean, thought the V might be V rating ( > 240kph) but a BT-54F-J is an OEM tyre for a Hayabusa which is Z rated or 240kph + ?

As previously indicated if it has cracks best to replace them, if you are a Brigstone fan the BT-21 seems a suitable ST tyre for the VFR if not the Michelin Road 2's ( 2CT ) are most excellent. If you must wheelie a motorcycle buy a dirt bike to practice off road, please don't bugger up your beautiful Black VFR. :wink:

9. madmax3022

madmax3022 New Member

Map
    thanks for the input john i have come to the same conclusion re: attempted wheelies, i now do not watch things like ghostrider or dvd's like "12 o'clock streetbikes" before going for rides with mates haha i'd much rather find a nice windy road on which to cruise and enjoy.......... man this tyre thing is such a headache....... will have to slip a new tyre on without the handbrake's knowledge hehe she will not let me forget this....