cruise control

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by tbtapper, May 29, 2003.

1. tbtapper

tbtapper New Member

Just wanted to get some input on what folks have done re: throttle locks like Vista Cruise. VC seems to be the least expensive alternative on the market.
    All I'm really interested in is when I'm droneing being able to get some hand relief for a few seconds w/o speed dropping off too much. I really need the model number if anyone remembers it.
    I'm not really interested in the bar end kind because of the cost.

tbtapper

2. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Hey tbtapper-

I am currently using a throttle lock on my '98 and it work great for short period hand relief. I don't know the model number but it is one of the universal kind that fits most Honda models. It will lose/gain speed on hills because it is exactly what it is called...a throttle lock. So if you are on hilly terrain, it is not much use. However, I do live in a hilly part of the country and I can always find a flat spot for at least a good minute or so to rest my hand. It is amazing how 30 seconds of relief can give you another 30 minutes of riding time.

3. spencerl

spencerl New Member

I agree with Vifferchick, it is amazing how much right hand relief you get from a few seconds of use of throttle lock. I had one on my previous bike.

You may also want to consider the Throttle Rocker. It is easily removable/adjustable as it attaches to the grip and it can provide relief by using your thumb or palm of your hand to maintain pressure on the throttle, I think abt $8-10.

Good luck

4. tbtapper

tbtapper New Member

Thanks for the inputs. I ended up getting a Vista Cruise for a Honda.

Took some serious filing to make it fit between the switch housing and the "ridge" on the throttle. Fit in fine and worked ok.

Promptly scratched my tank (ok very slightly but there none the less it's brand new after all) with the thumb lever when on full right lock.

Fixed that after the fact by removing the part that sticks out from the base and using safety wire to secure the VC rotated clockwise a little.

I know it sounds funky but you can't see the wire and the thumb latch is in a much better place to use.

The thing actually works great, sure it speeds up or down but so will all the other vastly more expensive options.

tbtapper

5. Patsfreak

Patsfreak New Member

Map
    I have a Throttlemiester on my VFR and LOVE it. Worth the extra cost for the fit & finish!

6. usaf_VFR

usaf_VFR New Member

Map
    Just put the Throttlemeister on my 03 ... it's awesome! Now that I have it, I can't imagine riding w/o it. Installation was a breeze.

7. Motonut

Motonut New Member

Hello Viffers,
    I'm new here...and very interested in VFRs...
    Relating to the throttle lock question, those who have not added anything might consider adding a large fat O-ring placed between the bar end weight and the grip. If you're on the cheap, it's great. You can roll it into place wlith the heel of your hand and roll it out of use with the same maneuver...one revolution does it. If sized right it gives just enough stiction to hold your speed just as well as Throttlemeisters do. And, has about the same resistance to rolling it "down throttle" as the T-meister. Lots of BMW folk do this, but the T-meister is most popular. I like my T-meister just fine, but have used the O-ring with the same functional satisfaction.

8. woodcycl

woodcycl New Member

Throttlemeister Users -- BIG Question!!

I've had mine installed now for about 6 or 7 weeks. The few times I've tried it on long Highway rides, it seems that I can never get the throttle locked in a position where the speed/accelleration stays at a constant speed ... without slowing down or speeding up. As soon as I think I have it just in the right place ... a little time will pass and it will slow or speed up. And, it is locked "tight" in place. Not sure if it's me or the unit.

Thanks for your help.

Brian