Crushed Rock Roads?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by CharlesW, Jun 6, 2011.

1. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

Most of the unpaved roads in Iowa have a crushed limestone rock surface.
    Any one have experience with how much damage is caused to the lower cowl from the rock debris that would be thrown at it by the front wheel?

Since it seems likely that quite a bit of cosmetic damage would be done, I avoid riding on the crushed rock roads completely.
    This sometimes requires a U-turn and backtracking to keep off of that type of road.
    Am I being paranoid?
    Anyone have actual experience with how much damage does occur?

2. abner malidy

abner malidy New Member

no experience, but your query brings 2 thoughts to mind:

1- i REALLY liked the rough textured black finish on the 4th gen lower, for that reason

2- i REALLY want a bike that instead of wondering "whats down that path?"
    i could just go find out without thinking about the nice shiny bike finish.

3. funnybusiness

funnybusiness New Member

I got some chips out of my lower fairing, just from driving around my area when they didn't clear the roads completely after winter. So i don't think your being paranoid, but its not a whole lot of fun riding on those roads anyway.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Try some of this stuff:

Google

Also good for protection from riding places where it's so hot the asphalt grabs tires and tosses it up onto the paint and for newly paved roads.

5. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    My driveway is 3/4 mile crushed stone. In the 9 months since I got my VF on the road, the lower fairing is getting chipped up somewhat, mostly on the nose and just beneath the nose, not very noticeable from a few feet. When it gets bad enough, I will refinish it and cover the nose with some type of paint protector film.

6. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

I have considered buying a dual purpose bike for those "What's down that path" moments, but decided the situation doesn't come up all that often for me.

I usually just run into the gravel roads when a paved road ceases to be paved. I seem to find a lot of those "Pavement Ends" signs.

I have considered using the 3M film, but I probably would make such a mess of the installation that it would look worse than the rock blasted paint.

Unfortunately, your experience is just what I was afraid of.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I think I will continue with the U-turn, backtrack policy.
    (FWIW, The VFR isn't the easiest bike I have owned to make U-turns with on narrow backroads.)

7. camo

camo New Member

Map
    Our house is about 2.5 miles from pavement. Baring crashes you will get mainly only stone chips. It is a price we pay to keep the rif raff out. If we get a lot of rain it packs down into adobe.

My wife and I usually ride our dirt bikes if we are not planning on riding pavement. We are legal as long as we stay off the blacktops.

So in my opinion you are being over cautious.

8. ictghost

ictghost New Member

I've ridden a lot of crushed-rock roads over the past year and although I don't look forward to it, sometimes it's the only way to see things you wanna see. I haven't noticed any rock chips at all, so far, but I just take it easy and never follow other riders very closely. I bought the bike to enjoy it and that means riding it....everywhere.

My bike ended up with a little paint damage on the lower left fairing, so a local custom shop shot the black at the bottom. They used an "epoxy-paint", as they called it, which also may help with the rock chip problem.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014