Current R/R thoughts

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by mello dude, Mar 16, 2012.

1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I see R/Rs are still a hot topic and thought I would kick in my 2 cents. This is kinda what I have assembled over the last 5 years or so perusing the the threads of both VFRW and VFRD. I somewhat got roped into this as my first R/R died on my '98 at about 10,500 miles and from reading multiple threads I understand the '98s are damn nasty on the electrics.

R/Rs ----OK -- IMHO - here's the best current thought on R/Rs
    If your looking to go cheap, a used R1 R/R may be a way to go, look for a newer model vs an older one. It should be a part number FH0012AA. -- Some of the earlier R1 R/Rs are NOT MOSFET, dont buy.
    But an R/R is not a part you want to buy used. How do you know its gonna work out? New is better. A couple good choices.
    -Dont waste your bucks on OEM - Why buy an OEM only to be thinking that you need to buy another one for a backup on a trip? Screw that! -

-- MOSFET upgrade from OEM, - a reasonable and better way to go.

Either go with the original VFR electric guy – tightwad (Joshua) at
    Wire My Bike
    Its the plug and play solution

or
    .Roadstercycle-Index

3rd option, but more expensive
    After some heavy research I went with ---
    Compu-fire series # 55402 – last part on the list
    link
    Compu-fire 40a 3-phase Charging Systems Alternators

Compufire is originally made as an aftermarket Harley part. Some people have a problem with that. Triumph, Aprilia, Honda VFR guys have been buying it as an upgrade. This is the best technical solution. It is a series type vs the OEM and Mosfet are a shunt type. Series means that it switches on and off per only the demands of power needed. Vs a shunt, the power(stator output) is on 100% of the time, and the bike is using what it needs and the excess is shunted to the R/R as heat. Its kinda control by throttle as needed (series) or full throttle on and control speed with the brake. (shunt) --- I have converted my ’98 to go with the Compufire. Here’s the link below. I consider this the slam dunk of perma fixes and expect never to screw with an R/R again. The biggest benefit is it reduces wear and tear on the stator, and you get longer life with that too.

link
    Compufire R/R install wrap - up on a 5th gen (finally) - VFR Discussion

A caveat – As a Harley part, Compufire with not back a warrantee if you install it on a Honda. (Just being upfront about it. )

Its not plug and play, but with the upgrade you will need to figure out crimp connectors. Not difficult but extra work.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. irvfr

irvfr New Member

United States
    Map
    Good summary, MelloDude.

I myself ran through the RR headache recently. I chose the R1 RR route. I added VFRness from wiremybike for added insurance. He is phenomenal. Good tech support. Hope I will never face this frustrating headache until my riding days are over :) BTW, I keep one extra RR under my seat from now on.