Daily Rider Upgrades to VFR!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by namaishi, Sep 27, 2008.

1. namaishi

namaishi New Member

Map
    I actually joined about a month ago, but haven't had time to introduce myself. I've been riding daily for about 6 years and just purchased my first VFR earlier this summer. After much research, including some from this site, I had been interested in the VFR for over a year now. However, I was really waiting for the right deal. The bike I ended up buying was a 2006 VFR that was dropped once, so had some very minor scratches on the right side, but only had 2,700 miles, the factory warranty, and was selling for only $6300. It also has a custom Remus exhaust that gives it a pretty nice growl.

My last bikes include a a 1993 Honda Nighthawk, a 1997 Suzuki Marauder, and a horrible 1980 Suzuki GN400 kickstarter that was the bane of my existence for a while. As if the kickstarter wasn't bad enough, I was living in Seattle at the time I bought it, so needless to say there were some obscenities when I had to start it in the rain.

I have a lot of people from work that are also daily riders, with a mixed bag of sports, dual sport, and cruiser types. A few of them went to Banff Canada last year and we are tentatively planning a trip to Alaska in 2010. I'd be very interested in anyone that's gone on cross country trips on the VFR. These guys are on VStrom'ss, FS800's, and bikes that will tend to do a little better in the gravel.

I should mention that I am looking for a Right Brake Pedal, Right Crankcase Cover, and Rear Tail Cover for the Passenger Seat (in Nighhawk Black). These are all cosmetic things, so I'm not in a big hurry, but would be interested if anyone had these lying around. I am also selling my OEM Exhaust on eBay right now.

http://http://motors.shop.ebay.com/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__honda-vfr800-tail_W0QQ_nkwZhondaQ20vfr800Q20tailQQ_fxdZ1QQ_ptasZ1QQ_trksidZm38

Happy Riding!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard. You are gonna love this bike for long trips.

3. Britt

Britt New Member

Welcome to the world of VFR ownership! I owned a 93 Nighthawk for 11 years. Never let me down once...

[​IMG]

4. namaishi

namaishi New Member

Map
    It was tough giving up the Nighthawk for that very reason, but the space in the garage was getting a little cramped. Fortunately, I was able to sell it for the same price I bought it for, even after putting 10,000 extra miles on it.

5. whenindoubt01

whenindoubt01 New Member

Welcome to the forum. What I have noticed about these bikes, they don't depreciate that much if you take care of them. I have not gone across country yet, but I have put 7,300 miles on mine in the past 3 months. I'm ready to get off the bike after 250-300 miles and that is with a stock seat. I can't wait to get the Sargent seat. Good luck finding all the parts and I'm sure you have a grin from ear to ear every time you ride the VFR.

6. ralph66

ralph66 New Member

Map
    Nice there is nothing like getting your moneys worth out of something, I did almost the same thing with a suzuki i had owned, i bought it for $500 rode the hell out of it for 5 years and then sold it for $400.

7. SCraig

SCraig New Member

The VFR is a very good touring bike. Mine has been in 11 states since May including one 1,800 mile trip over a 4-day period. The only changes to mine as far as comfort goes are Helibars, a Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen, and a Throttlemeister. I like the stock seat but do add a Alaska Leather sheepskin pad for longer trips.

I'm not sure I'd want to take it to Alaska with the number of gravel roads they have up there but I suppose it could be done.

8. namaishi

namaishi New Member

Map
    I'm glad to hear that. There's a few things I'd like to get before I leave.

Must Haves:
    Saddle bags - I'm toying with getting the OEM hardbags or some other Givi ones. I like the fact that they lock up and are weather proof.
    Framesliders - I've never dropped my bike, but I also haven't ridden a bike on ice. It seems you have to get clip ons or drill a hole through the fender.
    Seat- I think the stock seat is fine for most days, but for a few thousand miles, I might want something a little softer. I'm leaning towards Sargeant, but people seem to like the Corbin too.
    Helibars - I'm not sure I'll need these or not, but I'd like to experiment with them. I already bought a 10 dollar Crampbuster which is nice. I'm on a computer all day, so my right wrist tends to get a bit cramped up from the mouse.

Nice To Have:
    Touring Screen
    Aerostitch Suit

Other than that, I'm pretty good to go. We're still early in the stages, so if anyone's interested in the preparation and travelogue it will be at my friends site:
    Kosher Burrito

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    welcome to the site. I ride a 98 but I can offer a little advice on some of the things you want. I had the givi windscreen which worked well for moving the air up another 3-4 in but looked butt IMO (you don't notice when riding, though(. I have heli bars which feel weird at first and kind of put your wrists at a different angle when hitting the curves hard but once you get used to them, you are golden. I can ride all day with nary a problem to the wrist usually. I did get the crampbuster also which helped a great deal on the 3000 mile trip slovfr and I did a couple months ago. I currently am test riding a corbin and I usually run a sargent but I have put the stock seat on now and again for comparisons sake and I plan on a review of all of the above soon. as far as saddlebags, I went with RKA soft cause I rarely use them and wanted to keep the weight down. I had chase harper before that. The RKA have much more room but are not nearly as streamlined to the bike. As far as the stitch goes, I haven't had one but have only heard good things from everyone I have ever met who bought one. I needs. I have no frame sliders, but have found the stock turnsignals on the 5g does a reasonable job of that. :biggrin:

10. btay67

btay67 New Member

Map
    Now that is funny....:thumbsup:

11. namaishi

namaishi New Member

Map
    LOL...Yep, I did find out the hard way that the mirrors work pretty well as frame sliders. I had been moving all weekend and was pretty exhausted when I stupidly tried to move the bike by manhandling it in the garage. Needless to say, gravity usually wins. The bike slipped off the kick stand and took out the right mirror.

12. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Hello and welcome to the site! Nice to have another SD member. Click the link underneath my name to join the San Diego riders group.

Later...

13. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    welcome to the world of vfrs