Dealer Price Rant part two!!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jethro911, May 22, 2006.

1. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Before I even start, I know that I'm wrong to feel this way but they (the dealers) just rub me the wrong way!

My family owned a Honda Dealership from 1972 till 1988 so I know they need to make a few bucks to stay in business but this is just stupidity.

Here is my little story.
    I needed a new set of tires for my upcoming track day at Road America so I grab a set at the dealer closest to my work. A new set of Qualifiers for $215 tax in. Off I go merrily home and I install the rear myself, but it was a real bitch because the Michelin Pilot race tires I had installed were really tough customers. After the battle with the rear, I decide to take the front wheel in and have it changed by someone with a tire machine (5 minutes work max). I arrive at my local dealer and the first question out of his mouth is "where did you buy that?" Does it really matter, says I, acting like this has never happened before. Well yes he says because I charge $35 to install if you buy it from me or $55 if you didn't. He didn't mention the hidden charges like new valve, weights and Haz disposal fees. Why don't you just charge me shop rate for the time it takes to do the job, I ask. Because we don't, he says.

So I change my front tire after all. I hate these games! Bloody installation will cost dam near as much a the tire. It is even better when they charge you to reinstall your own weights that they just removed.:confused:

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGG!

Thanks for letting me vent! Like I said, I know I'm wrong and cheap but I just can't help being peeved.:mad:

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    they bitch about having to compete with online dealers then they bend you over when they get the chance. I don't mind paying a fair price, but I do not like the idea of being taken advantage of. I usually compare online then go to my dealer and see how close the can come. If they try to work with me, I'll buy from them, but more often they don't seem to care. I will do every piece of maintenance I can myself even though it may take me days to figure something out. :) lucky for me, the VFR is pretty dependable. that was one of the things I was happiest to learn when I joined this forum.

3. jev.

jev. over there

Sweden
    I work for a dealership and we charge $16.00 to change a tire off the bike. If you need a new valve stem they're @$2.00. We don't charge for weights. Sounds like they were trying to screw you.

4. veefer

veefer New Member

I think being PEEVED is OK as long as the direction is GOOD!!!!!
    Not to Peeve you off more but I had a front changed the other day and thought $25 was too much including new valve stem and balancing.
    I guess I figure it's OK after all. That guy really is a crook!!!!!!!
    Veefer

5. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    My local dealer will fit tyres for nothing provided that you buy the tyres from them.

:smile:

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    jev, that's a great rate for tire changes. i've never heard that good. is it a national name dealer like honda etc, or like Bob's Cycle World with no brand affiliation. Too bad you're all the way in NC.

7. fairfaxbiker

fairfaxbiker New Member

My local CycleGear shop changes tires for $15 off the bike.

8. jev.

jev. over there

Sweden
    we sell yamaha, kawasaki, and aprilia.

9. ncpaul2

ncpaul2 New Member

Jev
    What dealership do you work at? I live just south of Greensboro and am in need of some new tires. Looking for Metzler Z6's. I ride an 03 vfr. Do you guys have the cone to balance the rear wheel on the vfr?

Paul

10. jev.

jev. over there

Sweden
    I work for Forsyth Motosports, we unfortunately do not have the adapter to balance the rear. But give me a call and maybe I can help you on your tire purchase. I'll do the best I can to give you a good deal. 767-2020 ask for jason.

11. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

Dude, Find a new place to get you tires mounted. It should never be more than $20 no matter where the tire's from.....off the bike that is.