Derestrict rc35

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by xclued, Mar 3, 2013.

1. xclued

xclued New Member

Hi there, I have been looking at buying a 1991 VFR 750, which apparently has the 5 speed RC35 engine.

According to wikipedia this engine was from the police spec model, and has been restricted to 75 hp and changed to 5 speed gearbox.

Does anyone know if it will be possible to de-restrict this engine so it will run like the RC36? Other than being 5 speed... can that also be changed?

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    You may have faulty info, i believe. Why would a police bike be restricted ?? Can't catch speeders with 75 hp ! Any evidence on that particular bike that shows police work ?? All VFRs have 6-speed gearboxes.:tongue:

3. xclued

xclued New Member

I also thought it strange to have the police version restricted. The info is from wikipedia.

Honda VFR750F - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The engine number starts with RC35 and I have asked how many speed gearbox and he told me it is 5 speed which confirms this.

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Thats not a generation 3 bike, its a gen 2 bike!!! I have a picture of me standing next to one in japan from the ninties. When I was there, the gen 3 bikes were not even out, believe it was 89 or so...Japan back in 1990 - VFRworld Photo Gallery

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I would pass on that bike, sounds like it has alot of bad Karma with it, you know, some fat, donut eating pig, handing out speeding tickets to hapless nice citizens. You get the idea, they sell the shit out of X-Harley police bikes here, they can run them for 2 years and either make money or break even. Total Trash...Hi Ice-HUnChiNN :smile:

6. xclued

xclued New Member

It doesn't actually look like the police bike at all, i'm thinking maybe it's just the engine from the police bike. Here is a link to the website with it for sale: Honda VFR 750 1991 | Trade Me

7. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    It certainly looks the part and the price is good so far...your lucky I've used up all my trademe allowance for now! Worth taking a chance on I reckon...do it!

8. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    It looks like a 3rd gen to me--has the ducts in the frame and the wrap-forward seat, plus the wheels and SSSA. Couldn't see the motor, maybe it has a 2nd gen motor?

Not sure what they did to restrict the power (carbs, airbox, etc.) but you could always swap out the motor with an RC36 3rd gen based upon that frame.

9. xclued

xclued New Member

Haha, I didn't think anyone else in NZ would see my post! Yeah it seems like a good deal, good condition and rather low km/s.. Please don't bid! :tongue:

I checked out the plate details on this website: 18TAT: HONDA VFR 750 1991 | CarJam And it says engine no: RC35E1050773, and he has also said it is 5 speed, which leads me to believe it is the VFR750P engine (3rd gen according to wikipedia), although its obviously not a police bike. Maybe they had some engines left over so put them in a normal frame so they could sell them to the public? Anyway it sounds like I will have to wait till I own the bike to figure out how it's restricted (or hopefully it won't be!)

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Shit----go ride it and if you like it ---Buy it----didn't see any mention of miles. Has it ever been crashed, how many owners,and maintenance records ????????? for that price and not thrashed???? I dunno, I think I would jump-------------------------maybe---:confused:

11. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map

12. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Could'nt agree with you more, Gen 3 got the best looking aluminum frame and is one of the nicest viffers built...But, I still look at other commuters/beaters to motor around on, my gen3 bike gets the thrown she deserves and only goes out on decent non-rainy/non-rush hour rides :smile:

Cheers :drinkers:

13. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Hey xclued I assume you've seen - but just in case you haven't - the VFR in question is a 6 speed. The owner has corrected himself so I guess it is an unrestricted full noise genuine VFR Gen 3!

14. xclued

xclued New Member

Cheers mate yeah I saw. Unfortunately I didn't win the auction though, Bid right up to 3k but seemed like somebody else wanted it more than me :(

15. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    That's a shame - I'm gutted for you. I promise I wasn't the other person!

16. visx22

visx22 New Member

Just check on your cdi box if it has code MV8a-709B...if that it the case then you need to buy a new cdi and wiring and job done...also if you want to make it rc36...then buy an engine itself....in the long run...it will be more economical and hassel free than actually spend time,money and energy....that will be the best option...