Differences if there are any Between years 02 and 13

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Loghan J, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Loghan J

Loghan J New Member

United States
    I have a 2003 VFR 800 and its been a little difficult to find parts for it. The front end got smashed and ive been fixing it up, so far i have everything fixed besides a new fairing. However the front stay cowl braket was bent a good amount and i cant get it bent back into place. Everywhere i look online for an 03 stay cowl braket they want $500 for or they are out of stock, however for an 07 vfr 800 stay cowl braket i can find them from $40 - $100, will an 07 Braket fit my 03? From what I understand the entire 6th Gen 02-13 is vitually the same given a few updated/upgrades with the motor and the elecronics/computers. Im just not sure if any kind of mounting brackets or anything like that changed drastically withing those years, any info on this would be very helpful. Thank you.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Loghan J and Welcome to the Madhouse:Welcome:.

When you get time please add a post in the "Introductions" section and say Hello to the rest of the folks on here. As you will quickly discover the folks on the forum like photos so even if it is not pretty you may want to add a photo of your current VFR project. It is easy just click the "Upload a file" link and follow the prompts to select and upload an image from your computer. You may also want to update your forum profile (top right) to include an approximate location city/state is ample, that way if you get stuck and need help with your VFR you may be luck to find someone living nearby is willing to swing by and offer advice/pick up a spanner - especially if you have a well stocked beer fridge:drink:.

As for the 6th Gen differences, the engine, machine and frame was basically the same throughout with largely cosmetic changes (like clear indicator lenses) made for 2006+ models along with engine tweeks to the VTEC engagement. Otherwise 6th Gen parts remained pretty much the same so a later cowl bracket should be a runner. Obviously if you need a heap of parts then you might be better looking for a salvage yard bargain to source all the parts you need, as new parts on motobike approcahing 20 years old can be costly assuming you can find them. If you do need new parts you may want to check out CMSNL and David Silver Spares as by now Honda dealers will now rarely carry anything beyond normal service items.

Good Luck - let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

3. Loghan J

Loghan J New Member

United States
    Ok i will do that. Fortunatly all ive had to replace so far is the front forks, and front axle and it drives great now most everything else is cosmetic. Such as the cowl bracket, the cluster mounts broke off so one of those, and then a new fairing and should be rtr. I will chech those places out for parts, thanks for the help.

4. Loghan J

Loghan J New Member

United States
    So finally had some time to install the 07 bracket on my 03. And it is 98% Identicall. The one and only difference is how the computer mounts to it. My guess is that the 02-06s all ran the thick long and wide computer but the 07 and up must have ran with a computer that was slimer and a more sleek design because the 07 Cowl Stay comes with a slight bend in it from factory (id say about a 20-30 degree angle) and just seems smaller in general, and my 03 is just one striaght flat peice. I said screw it and just bent the mounting point for the computer enough for the it to sit on the plate well and zip tied it on. Wont know if anything else is wrong untill I can buy a new fairing and get that installed but that was all ive noticed so far. Will update as i go.

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Thanks for the update

If that bracket simply provides a mounting point for the ECU then modifying it to match the earlier design should be fine although I might be tempted to install at least one additional zip-tie as that component is really expensive.

Have fun.

SkiMad