Does the crankcase vent REALLY puke that much?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Pops, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Pops

Pops New Member

So I've got the VF750 torn all the way down to the frame. From this point it's -clean, paint, rebuild- then reassemble it to the frame. One thing I'm wondering about is the crankcase vent container with it's drain hose. I've had a few bikes, but never one with a dedicated container and drain like this. All my other bikes simply had a vent hose running from the crankcase into the airbox to vent the nasty fumes into there to be ingested and burned. Is this container really necessary? How much oil and gunk really gets deposited in here? How often does it get to the point where it really needs drained? I mean...c'mon man!

2. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    It is a sizable container. The thinking is if there was a complete failure of the motor, any and all puking would be caught in there and not deposited on the rear wheel. The every day vapor is pretty small. It wouldn't even fill the down tube from the catch bottle. If it's never been checked the tube will have some gunk for sure. I got rid of mine and went with a filter.

3. Pops

Pops New Member

Thanks Hop, I figured as much. When I pulled everything apart the container was empty, as was the tube. In fact the plug was safety wired tightly onto the end of the tube - I would have to cut the wire to pull the plug. I think for simplicity sake I'm going to delete the container and rig a T-fitting to run the vent hose into the airbox.

4. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The system is designed to help seperate the oil from the air coming oot of the engine to keep the oil from getting on the air filter. Any trapped oil should drain oot the hose on the bottom of the tank back to the crankcase.