Don't call it a recall! ZX-10 "Technical Hold"?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Echo3Niner, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    I woulda thought this was on here, but after a couple searches, I can't find it; so, I'm posting it...

For those of you who don't keep up with any other bikes; Kawasaki was supposed to come out this year with an all new Ninja ZX-10R, that made 196BHP at the crank, to fight off BMW and Aprilia as Top Dog of the superbike wars...

First, they found out that Kawasaki detuned the USA version, to meet EPA noise standards, and it lost 20BHP in the process...

Now, they are actually buying back the 25-50 or so that have been delivered to owners in the USA (way more than a recall), and pulling all other stock back to warehouses... They are also stopping delivery in Europe. Kawasaki has been very tight lipped on why.

Just thought it was interesting:

Don?t Call It a Recall: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Goes on Technical Hold – Engine Problems Suspected

2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R: mo? power, mo? problems | Hell for Leather

Kawasaki recalls new ZX-10R - Update from Kawasaki UK - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN

2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R on "Technical Hold" - Kawasaki Sportbike News - Motorcycle USA

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    have read about this already. very anxious to hear what's behind it.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    What? Only 178 hp? Some kinda fag bike IMO.

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    K & N air filter and gutted can is probably all it takes to fix those stinkin engineers and get yer horsepower back

5. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Not that I'll be buying one, but Kawasaki should've made it as easy as your comments would suggest. Instead, Kawasaki lowered the redline on U.S. models by 750 RPM to meet noise and emmissions requirements, consiquently dropping the HP. This, in my opinion, was the worst possible solution to the problem. A lucid manufactorer would've just designed a compliant, if not grotesque, exhaust for that machine. This solution would've allowed the customer to install a better exhaust and a fuel management system, which many would've have done regardless, thereby regaining any losses without having to figure a way to retreive 750 RPM's worth of range and peak HP. This should've been obvious to Kawasaki being that neither the Aprilia nor the BMW dropped their redlines on bikes that were released a year prior. Aprilia especially, was not concerned about releasing a machine with a pig of a can on it, probably fully aware that most buyers were going to rip that fucker off as the first order of business anyway. Kawi should've followed most other manufactorers example, and maybe now they will.

I wonder if this isn't in some way related to the recall. Maybe a light went off at Kawi sales HQ and somebody realized they'd just put a bullet into their foot.

6. Badbilly

United States
    I want to be the first guy in the door when my local Kawasaki dealer opens so I can sit one one of these sluggish pigs and tell them Just what I think of thier bike and their mammas too. FYI, I have the "vroom-vroom" shit down so please, no more PMs on the how to. TIA.

7. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Too late, I even threw a clump of dry dirt in one of the salesmans face, after I spat on him.

8. Badbilly

United States

I am headed back tomorrow to fart on the seat.

9. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    That's a good idea. It is Cristmas after all.

10. Badbilly

United States
    Cool! I may wait until Monday, rent a santa suit and then go in and fart on the seat. If I was in New Jersey , I could get KC10 to go with me as an elf. Most elves can really fart.

11. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Turns out KC is not superhuman after all, as his knee injury has shown. Now I suspect he'll be forced to hobble down to the Kawasaki store and beat the salesman to death with his crutch. Or maybe remove his knee brace and shove it up the salesmans ass. After all, it is what they deserve. Lousy bastards. Haahaaahaa

12. JEKirby

JEKirby New Member

I called our dealer Tech hotline Monday and all the tech could tell me was that there were no bulletins on the bike and the only thing he knew was that it affected bikes that were used in a 'race condition'. We have one customer who has put a substantial deposit on one and we will not be taking delivery when we first thought.