Drop a tooth on front sprocket - questions?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by woodcycl, Jun 7, 2003.

1. woodcycl

woodcycl New Member

After reading about the "grin" factor from folks who have dropped a tooth on the front sprocket -- I'm interested in this inexpensive mod as well. I did this on my first VFR - 87' model and it made a world of difference. Now I have a new 2003 VFR and am considering my options for increasing the "quickness" or "low end torque" of the bike. BUT, I'd still like to ride longer trips at 65 to 70 mph.

Tonight, I rode 2 hours straight at 60 to 65mph and noticed that in top gear -- I'm only at 4250 RPMs. So, if I drop one tooth in the front, what RPMs can I expect in comparison? As long as it's not more than 1000 or 1250 more ... I think that would be okay.

Also -- chain length: Even if I don't "need" a new chain because of the smaller sprocket, should I get a high performance chain simply due to the fact that it's safer and more reliable given the extra torque, etc.?

The only other performance mods I plan are: K&N Air Filter & either Staintune or Laser Pipes.

Thus far, I haven't read where I will need a PCIII or larger jets when I upgrade the exhaust -- is that true? No real performance gains with the PCIII If I have a Staintune or Laser exhaust?

Thanks a bunch from a Newbie 03' VFR rider!

2. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Hello,
    I have a '99 w/ this mod. At 75mph it runs @5000rpm. With the 'stock' sprocket, it runs @ 4800rpm.

I have the 'stock' chain & did not need to shorten it. I ride pretty hard and have never had any chain problems.

No PC11 (PC111 is newer version, I'm not familiar with) needed.

hope that helps...be safe.

RF