dropped bike 3 times in 2 weeks!!! please help

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by hollenbeck, Apr 14, 2013.

1. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

Hey everyone it's been a while since I posted on here,but I just got a new paint job last month and I've dropped here twice since then and my friend once,he's burried in the back yard,all times were parked and I can't find frame sliders for my 5th gen,I found 1 but I have to cut a hole in the fairing and I really don't wanna do that with the custom paint job,so do the mushrooms really work? Advice please!!!!! thank you

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Mushroom is junk.....Your only option is to install crash bar like police bike.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

The only company I found that makes sliders that you do not have to cut your fairings is called 'Oggy Knobs'. They are from Australia but from the website that sells them only list the 2002-2008 models. You may reach out to them and see if they offer something for the 5 Gens. Promoto Melbourne - Frame Sliders - Axle Oggys - Oggy Knobs

From what I know about sliders, they help prevent damage in a tip over, but that they typically don't do much for low sides or other speed related "falls". But that sounds like what you are looking for any way. Post a pic of your custom paint job if you don't mind.

4. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

DSC00212.jpg DSC00220.jpg DSC00211.jpg DSC00218.jpg do you know anyone thats customised one there selfs? I know the mushrooms are junk but would it help for now till I can find something better?

5. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Quick sell your VFR before you hurt it anymore, buy a dirt based road bike that doesn't mind falling over.

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I feel your hurt. I dropped mine a day or two after I painted it. Then again after I put the graphics on it while I was down in Oceanside Ca at Scubalong's place. Actually he pushed me over) Then once more time here at home a few months later. I am over it. But nice work on the skins.

7. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

no sir,that bike is a part of me,without my bike I would be lost,there are plenty of bikes out there but not one that has my personality and I know every inch of that bike,not too mention I've done all the work to that bike myself.I would never get rid of her,just gotta make sure she's safe,thats all

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Please repeat..."This is my VFR, there are many like it, but this one is mine!. Without me, my VFR is useless, without my VFR, I am useless!":wink:

9. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    .......:potstir:Oooopsi. Didn't mean that!

10. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

I guess I'll get some mushrooms for now and get axle sliders until I can figure out something better, I'm going to try and find a longer bolt for frame and maybe I can fit another slider on there, I like the t-rex sliders but they don't make for my yr, so if anyone knows a place they carries really long bolts let me know, I need a 12x whatever a inch is to 365mm,thank for all the replies

11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Do we have to put you in the corner again?!

12. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

Spend a yr or so working on your bike and customize it to the exact way you would want and wheel and deal for parts, and do all the work yourself and get to were it matches you perfectly and let me know if you would sell yours and if your answer is yes than you truly don't realize that the vfr is the best bike in the world and each one has it's own personality, other bikes are just bikes

13. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't know your location but try Home | Fastenal they are all across the US maybe there is one near you. Or look up industrial supply or fasteners in you local phone book.

14. troutkiller

troutkiller New Member

Map
    how is doing all those things and selling it any worse than doing all those things and then pushing ur bike over three times?lol.
    i mean, do frame sliders "match your personality perfectly" or do you just need to quit dropping your shit? just sayin

15. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Arggh - thats pretty unlucky, but at least you are OK. Check for similar posts on here and you will see you are not alone - these things do have a habit of horizontal parking especially at very low speeds, and a patch of diesel can unseat the most experienced rider.

I know many riders routinely carry a strip of Gaffer(duck) tape and a touch up paint stick tucked under the seat - just in case they need to deal with on the road problems.

As Long says, dont waste money on mushrooms which don't fix through to the frame - as they won't help. On a heavy bike like this, they are mostly for show, and could make any damage worse as they just attach to the fairing mounts which are not designed for impact loads and tend to break off, along with a large chunk of fairing .

The right answer is a proper set of frame sliders and bar ends. Such as these here -

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Honda/VFR800i/2000.aspx

OK proper frame sliders are not cheap but they provide decent protection to your bike if its sliding down the road or simply tips over at slow speed..

Hope you have better luck.

16. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I guess you did drop it! Looks like it bent the metal pretty good.......................................:jaw:

Nice paint by the way. Looks good

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Riding on mushrooms is just as stupid as texting at the ton.

18. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    OK, I'll be the dick and say it: Putting frame sliders on because you keep dropping your bike is like putting spray paint over rust. The underlying problem is still there.

Look, I know we all have our bonehead moves. Every one of us knows somebody that has dropped their bike, or we've dropped our own. Some people more than once. But 3 times in 2 weeks? That's either some horrible luck, or there's a problem.

So the burning question I have is: Is there some reason you keep dropping your bike? Are you too short for bike? Did you "armor All" your seat? Something???

My suggestion would be to find to underlying cause of WHY you keep dropping it, and address that. Maybe you have some sort of a bad or "stupid" habit that you're not aware of? (I'm not criticizing, I'm just thinking out loud).

Its a great looking bike and paint job.

19. Valentino Robbie

Valentino Robbie New Member

I have R&G crash bumgs on mine (fairing drilled yes) and I dropped mine on gravel at a near stop. The bungs and the Givi pannier stopped ALL damage to the bike. The pannier touched down (I think) but didn't have a mark on it, and the bung has a tiny dent on the end.

The crash protection that goes around the fairing rather than drilling is worthless, they can cave in and do more damage than a drop without them.
    I am so so glad for having the bungs on my bike. They paid for themselves.

I do agree with Plisking though. I'm sorry but I don't know how you ride or for how long and your experience but the first thing that comes to my mind is 'are you pushing it right?'
    How did you drop the bike? Getting it on the stand? Pushing or pulling backwards?

I know how you feel after dropping a bike. Glad you not hurt too.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  20. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map

I wanna answer that. Pick me! Pick me!

Lost track of how many times I dropped mine. While I cannot speak for hollenbeck, I can only speak for myself. All my drops have been after I have brought it to a stop. My circumstances are not unique, but probably a bit different than most others. These bikes are heavy and SOmetimes I load myself up pretty much too. I have a history of injury that when the bike starts to go over, I will try somewhat to stop it from dropping, but will not give it my all to prevent the drop. I would rather guide it down, and get help lifting it back up. That way I get back on and ride it instead of taking a trip to ER, maybe never to ride again.

I have already gone through a few days with no feeling below my waist and kinda did not like that. Besides, if we don't drop these things once in a while, how could we post up for others to learn from our mistakes. Just that some of me is a slow learner. I was in school too.