Dropped.

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Patrycja, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Patrycja

Patrycja New Member

Map
    Hey there,

I've been riding for 2 years now and finally, I got my anniversary VFR800 07' with only 8000 miles about three moths ago. Although, I've been saving for this bike for over a year and couldn't wait to get it, it's almost like some bad spell is haunting me since I've finally gotten it.I had a crash a month into owning it, after I got it all fixed up, I dropped it on the uphill on the right side and just yesterday, dropped it again, in my own garage while cleaning it on the left side. Of course, I'm getting frame sliders and have to get new mirror but I was wondering how do you, other VFR owners, deal with something like that. My friends tell me it's no big deal and is bound to happen, and that expecting to never drop your bike is foolish because bikes are unstable and we do drop them. How though do I manage feeling like a total idiot after that happens? I feel like brushing it off is almost impossible because I love my bike and want it to be beautiful always, but on the other hand, I really don't want to go through a total break-down every time it happens.
    So, how do you VFR people deal with dropping your machines?

Patrycja

2. davjohns

davjohns New Member

Cry.

Seriously, last time I laid a bike down, I was in such a hurry to get back on it and drive away before anyone noticed, I had no chance to think about it. Sorry it had to happen to you.

3. Patrycja

Patrycja New Member

Map

Thanks. I've been so shocked after it happened in my garage yesterday after I just finished detailing the whole thing for two hours, that all I could do is just sit with my broken mirror in hand and cry. It does help. It's just such an embarrasing thing to happen. Ech:eek:

4. michaels214

michaels214 New Member

Map
    ive yet to drop a bike, knock on wood..sorry it keeps happening to you.

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You will get over it. I've dropped mine 7 times since August 06 when it was new in the crate. First time was only a couple weeks after I got it. One time was a couple days after I put brand new paint on it. Last time Scubalong made me drop it in Long Beach. These things are so top heavy that once they start to go, it takes a lot of umph to stop them from going over. I choose to guide mine down gently and get help to lift it up. This way, damage is minimized and personal injuries are avoided.

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    BTW....welcome to the site. Post up pix even if they show some scratches

7. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    HOW TO PICK UP YOUR MOTORCYCLE - FALLEN OR DROPPED BIKE - YouTube

I used this method to lift an ST1100 by myself. It really works.

I find that cursing works better for me than crying.

:crazy:

8. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    You can make almost anything seem like nothing in your mind when you start doing the what ifs. Like what if I did this in front of a group of amazing super models or it's a good thing I wasn't going faster. It really is just in your head and let's face it, shit happens. This is one of the reasons I like my new bike as it came to me all f*&%$# up and almost anything I do to it makes it better. Even if I dropped it, it would still be better than it was. So the moral of the story is, "buy a beater" and you will always be happy.....LOL!!!

Just kidding but it would be good to see some pics if you have em....

9. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    It is happen soon or later.......So get over it and keep on riding. Many of us have done that especiallyRandy :) I know it suck but the bike can be fix........it could be worse.

10. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I think that your initial reaction is the normal reaction that most of us would have. But at the end of the day, it can all be fixed. The only advice I can give is when you are moving your bike around, always be on it, that way you're straddling it and you've got your legs to save you. I never move mine around while standing alongside the bike. Also, I never use the side stand. Welcome to the forum.

11. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Knock on wood, but I have yet to drop my vfr. Maybe it's because I dropped My old KZ more than a hockey puck in a pee-wee hockey game. :der: :doh: Seriously though I try to double check my foot placement while on the road (avoiding potholes oily spots etc.), and make sure: 1. The parking slope is in the favor of stability, so the bike isn't going to fall over, 2. The bike is in neutral, and 3. The side stand is down.

12. SouthTexasRich

SouthTexasRich New Member

Patrycja, try not to worry about it. Most of us have dreams of keeping our bikes pristine and shiny and perfect when we get them. But they are meant to get used and will incur some wear and tear. I've dropped my bike twice since March. It has a few more scratches than before but is still badass :chaingun:

Some advice:

- Try to be on the bike when moving it, even if you are just moving it a few feet.

- After following the above advice, always raise the kickstand even when moving the bike. This will prevent it getting caught on something and pushing it over (this is what happened to me once).

- Always park the bike on hard surfaces. My bike fell over on the grass because the ground got soft while I washed the bike. Doh!

Good luck, but don't worry about it too much. It's 'character.'

13. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    Sorry it happened, But it is inevitable!
    My 30 yr old bike, has had one slow speed lowside, & when I drop her, I will probably sit down & cry as well, :pout: even though I know it is more likely a when, then an if I drop her, or Lowside her!

14. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    I've always put my bikes in "1st gear" when they are parked, no roll abouts.

15. Patrycja

Patrycja New Member

Map
    Thanks so much guys. It means a lot to hear you sharing your stories. It definitely made me feel better about this shitty series of misfortunes. I guess I'm shopping for a new left mirror and some sliders tomorrow :smile: Once again, thanks a lot. I laughed a lot reading your posts :redface:

16. Patrycja

Patrycja New Member

Map
    Here are some photos of my VFR and me :smile: IMAG0163.jpg DSC_0168.jpg DSC_0180.jpg

17. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

I dropped my bike while parking it in my driveway, I park sideways. I got off, hit my seat cowl, lost balance and it fell. It left a huge indentation on my garage door. The only damage my VFR had was a broken foot peg. But, I took it off of my project bike. The garage door broke its fall, no scratches.

@Patrycja - I screamed silently to myself right after.

18. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hey Patrycja don't beat yourself up - many many of us have done exactly the same thing - just learn from it.

As others have said these things are a bit top heavy. Now you know, that when stopped or at slow speeds they can adopt horizontal parking mode very quickly. Hence it is always vital at slow speeds to read the slope and maybe adopt defensive parking tactics - avoiding dodgy or uneven surfaces and looking to stop somewhere else where its flat or facing slightly uphill so it can't roll forward off the side stand. Also look out for any unexpected dips - otherwise by the time you do find something solid to put your foot on, the bike is tipped over at a crazy angle and moving fast. If you are 6 foot plus and mega strong then maybe you can still save it - but otherwise learn, like I did, to get out the way, know how to check the bike over and how to pick the beast up without injuring yourself. Think of it this way, once 240Kg gets going, there ain't much 70kg can do to stop them.

All I can suggest is fitting R&G frame sliders (you have to cut 2 holes in the fairing) but they really work and help stop you being trapped under the bike. Also adjust the pinch bolts which hold the mirrors so they are just tight enough to keep the mirrors where you want - that way if the bike falls over it may allow the mirror to twist around harmlessly rather than snap off (it takes seconds to check every so often in case they are working loose). Likewise don't overtighten brake and clutch levers - you definitely want them tight enough to stay put, but if you don't go mad, they can still twist around and give little, which may stop them snapping right off if you ever drop the bike again.

Yes it is wonderful to have a perfect bike - but even with a few battle scars, the VFR is still the best bike in the world and those RWB bikes really do look special.

Good luck - now get back out riding and you will be smiling again in minutes. :)

Skimad4x4
    Proud member 6th Gen Militia #218 - European 1st Division

19. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    I got one for you my friend. When I got my '09, brand new, I broke it in and was stoked to take it down to CA from Seattle for my annual trip home. I'd had it for about 2 or 3 weeks. On the way back up I was taking HWY 36 over from I-5 to the coast, a pretty notorious twisty road west of Redding, CA. Coming into a turn about 10 miles in, being used to the old cruiser, I chickened out and tried to brake out of the turn. It was a retarded mistake, as I easily could have just gotten down and ridden through the turn. I ran out of pavement at about 15 MPH and laid the brand new bike down in a shallow ditch on the shoulder. Took all I had to get the thing back up.

Worse than that was a year ago, after getting back from Europe and not riding for 6 months, jet lagged to all hell. I got home and my bike had a screw in the rear tire. I got it out to the shop and had a new one put on, and coming out of the parking lot with a slippery brand new tire, I gave it too much gas and lost the rear-end right in front of the local, small-time dealership. Talk about embarrassing. But you know what? As stupid as that was, the folks there, both employees and customers, were really cool. I had two people helping me and my bike up inside of 3 seconds, and when I got inside the guy at the desk was ready to order me a new mirror at what I'm pretty sure was cost.

Everyone makes mistakes. We learn from it. 1.) be careful on a new bike, no matter how much fun it is 2.) never ride jet-lagged 3.) ride like a sissy when you have new tires

Good luck, be safe and have fun!!

20. davjohns

davjohns New Member

Rats! I couldn't decide whether to stare at the girl or the bike...or which one I desired more. Being a guy can be so confusing. :)

Patrycja: You're both beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pics. Enjoy the bike.

David