DTC 77-1 Help Please 2010 VFR1200F

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Peders, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Peders

Peders New Member

United Kingdom
    Hey guys, hope yous all safe out there.

Been riding my 2010 VFR1200F for 3 years with no bothers, she's now got 16k miles on the clock.

So here's what's happening.
    1- Turn the bike on in the morning with no issues whatsoever.
    2- Take her for a run with no issues whatsoever.
    3- Stop the bike after the run still no issues
    4- Ignition to off position again with no issues

5- Turn the ignition to the on position and (SOMETIMES) the MIL flashes 7 times slow intermittent and 7 times fast intermittent which is code 77-1 (TBW return spring failure).

Now, this does not happen every time I ride the bike, it doesn't matter if it's a short or a long run, sometimes the MIL comes on with the above code and sometimes doesn't...

As she was on the 16k mark she had a full service inclusive of valves setting, also got the throttle body checked and cleaned per the service manual and did not note any issues with the TB, it all moves freely.
    I've noted she's running smother with the valves correctly set but the code still comes on once in a while.

I've been hearing that these bikes can have battery issues that can cause electrical bugs?
    I have in fact replaced the original battery by an aftermarket one last year but could it really be the battery causing these issues?
    This issue is bugging my mind and before I go spend money on new batteries or throttle bodies would like to have your input please in case someone already went thru the same issue.

Many thanks

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021