Ducati Ending V2 Production

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by ksoholm, Jul 13, 2017.

1. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
  2. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Truly jaw dropping news, but it makes good sense. At least they are going forward with the V4 design. Too bad Honda doesn't take the V4 more seriously.

3. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Probably a smart move. Same reason Porche went to water cooled engines. Did it hurt Porche to change....nope. Will it help Duc? Yep!
    All Duc needs to do is make a 135 hp V4 that weighs 450# or less, is easy and inexpensive to maintain (that's the real catch for Duc), and that can be ridden all day long at a price of less than $20K and that spells the end of VFR's forever. Another catch, it's obvious that a lot of VFR owners won't pay more than $8K for any new motorcycle so the used VFR market will thrive until they're all worn out.

4. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    James, I disagree with you with Honda in mind. They may step up the anti with this news and go to what we all want from them. They are very competitive and have really never had any true competition on a V4 platform. Time will tell. As far as your comment about price. I would never pay $20, 000 for a bike. No matter the manufacture! If I raced then yes, So I am one of those "VFR owners won't pay more than $8K for any new motorcycle so the used VFR market will thrive until they're all worn out" Value is what it is to each consumer. I will pay up to $14,000 for a bike if it suits me. Honda corporation mantra is value, engineering and dependability. Ducati is just another Enzo Ferrari vs. Fords Shelby in this battle. But in reverse, Honda Comfortable at being on top as a name plate and having a Italian sleeper dropping their go to format to another to compete in this new engine format! Come on in super sport racing V2 Vs. V4 Vs. and lower displacement Incline's from every manufacture. Again time will tell but it will be a few years to see the results IMO.

5. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Can't necessarily disagree with you on any of this. When it comes to recreation, Americans tend to spend sacrificially but that price point is very different for different people. Italian manufacturers have never seemed to want to appeal to the masses. All of my vehicles are Japanese made because I don't like replacing vehicles. They just last and are functional vs. trendy or latest unproven technology.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Imagine if Duc put a liter V4 in their new Supersport?

Bubba Utah likes this.
  7. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    Well now, if it were just as smooth as the Honda...I'd have to seriously consider jumping ship. I LOVED the SS suspension compared to the VFR, sorry Honda. They put a decent suspension on the VFR but it could be seriously better.

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

There's always a caveat....if it was just as smooth as a Honda, if it cost just as much as a Honda, if it weighed just as much as a Honda, if it was just a Ducati with a Honda logo on it. James Bond nailed it with the $8,000 price point. I would pay $14,000....but would NEVER consider $20,000 and then try to justify that position by bringing up a car manufacturers battle at Le Mans is just what you would expect to hear coming out of the mouth of a VFR owner. My position is the VFR is either completely redone or is completely discontinued in the next 3 years.

And just to clarify, Ducati is not completely ceasing to make machines with the L Twin (V Twin). They just see the WSBK rules getting to the point where they can't be competitive at the maximum displacement allowed for a twin in that series. The Testastretta 939 V twin engine will continue to be produced.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Lint likes this.