Dunlop Roadsmart

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by WhiteKnight, Aug 10, 2008.

1. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    This is thelates Sport/Touring tire by Dunlop. If I have read the specs correctly (and more importantly, remembered correctly) this is a dual compund-type tire. I have about 500 miles on them and I replaced both front and rear at the same time. My main purpose for buying these is I wanted a sporty tire, but also one that I could use for my 2 hour slab ride up I-75 from Williamsburg to Lexington.

First impression after installation:

Wow. a 15 minute ride from Lexington, KY to the Valley View Ferry out Tates Creek Rd. and then about a 5 minute wait reveals that this tire stays sticky. It was still a litle warm and quite sticky to the touch.

Last weekend I took my bike to a track day in Nashville. The tires still look new, and for all intents and purposes they still are. I put 58 miles on them at the track. They did slip once, causeing me to crash, but this was NOT due to the tire giving up, it was due to the sealant at one of the seams coming out of turn 6 onto the back straight and my lean angle.

I used all of the tire, meaning there are not chicken strips. Tire PSI was 30 lbs, a little low for the street than I would normally run. I usually run about 35 PSI. Like I said, the whole day this tire never slipped, or gave the impression that it was going to, other than the one incident.

Pros:
    Did I say Sticky?
    Reasonably priced (when I bought them, $114 shipped 120/70/17 front, $141 shipped 185/55/17 rear.

Cons:
    None yet, still need to put time in on the tire.

I actually like these a bit better than my Qualifiers. These seem to, at least they feel it, stick quite a bit better.

2. skivfr1

skivfr1 New Member

Thanks for the info! Just used up my D204's after only 3200 miles. I ordered up a set of the Roadsmarts hoping to get more miles out of them.

3. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Where are you finding the good deals for your tires?

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Motorcycle Tires and Accessories

Has the best prices on tires. Unless some other place is having a sale, you can pretty much bank on them having the best prices. Dennis Kirk will pricematch any website. If you use them & like their service, it's an option.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

5. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    I got mine through bikebandit.com, but AMA members also get a 6% discount.

You can also try swmototires.com or the site(s) KC mentioned above.

6. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

Keep us posted on the Roadsmarts and what you think of them. These are the exact tires I'm looking at getting at the end of this season or next spring to replace the OEM POS's.

7. vfrredneckchic

vfrredneckchic New Member

Map
    I just put these tires on in late June. I LOVE them! I'm up to around 1000-1200 miles and they still look great. They don't take long to warm-up & they really do stay sticky.
    Well worth the money right around $250-$300 w/ shipping from Motorcycle Superstore.

8. Wesley J

Wesley J New Member

Map
    I got about 7000 kms out of mine and they're done. 75% of my riding is multi-day tours with bags, 25% day trips and commuting.

9. Superceptor02

Superceptor02 New Member

5000 miles on mine and they are still slicing. No doubt an excellent tire. 75% back road carving (once a week Deals Gap) and 25% touring with 40lb luggage. Saw an article the other day and they were the fastest of the sport tour tires and the moderate sport tires. Two to three seconds faster around the track than the Rosso.

10. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    How many miles......

White night, How many miles you have on the tires so far. Can you give us an up date? I have Pilot road and it last around 8k to 10k depend on riding style.

11. shaynej

shaynej New Member

I've had my RoadSmarts since March. 95% canyon twisty riding... 5% was the 1000 mile trip up to Reno and back.
    Just replaced the front after 5500 miles, the rear still has a good bit left (mostly in the middle!) but I'd recommend them and will be continuing with them again...

ps. also have a spare set of rims w/Dunlop Qualifiers on them and I've gotta say they are pretty darn close as far as grip to the RoadSmarts. It seemed the turn in was quicker on the qualifiers but seeing as how they won't last past 3000 miles I'd opt for the RoadSmarts over them...

12. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Just ordered a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts for my bike. I've seen quite a few favorable reviews of these tires here on VFR World. I don't have that many miles on my new bike yet, but the vibe I keep getting is that the original stock Dunlops that came with my bike are not all that great, especially compared to some of the better tire options out there.

If the new Roadsmarts are indeed a remarkable improvement over my original stock Dunlop tire, then I sure look forward to experiencing the difference! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

They arrived! Boo-yah! I can't wait to get these rubber soles mounted!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  13. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    I only hve somewhere between 1 - 2k on mine. I did not get to ride as much this year as I usualy do but during the times I did get, I never felt that the tire was going to slip. In fact it stuck well enough that on one ride, I felt that the bike was just not set up correctly suspension wise. I should note, that running about 30 psi front and rear results in pretty sticky grip and i have been to teh edge on the both sides of the rear tire and pretty close to the edges with the front.

14. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I got the Dunlop ZRoadSmart tyres in January of this year when they first became available. I was running the Avon Storm St tyres when I switched to the Dunlop RoadSmarts. The Dunlop Roadsmart tyres warm up quickly (even in winter temps) and the tyre profile is pretty flat. The ride on the Dunlop RoadSmart tyres is kinda plush but firm and the tyres work well in the rain and going over groved surfaces. I really like the Avon Storm ST tyres, but the RoadSmart tyres get warmer quicker and provide a more softer ride while still being confindent inspiring. You can check online at Motorcycle Pro (Dunlop Roadsmart Motorcycle tires) for the Dunlop RoadSmart tyres. The ship fast and I have used them for all my motorcycle tyres. I still have the Avon tyres and run them in the summer when it is warmer. I really like the Dunlop RoadSmart tyres on the VFR.

15. skivfr1

skivfr1 New Member

I've put several hundred miles on my Roadsmarts since I put them on in August. Very impressive! Hardly any signs of wear, great handling and very compliant. My goal is to get 5k miles out of 'em! I would definitely order them again, at this point. This is no :bs: !!!

16. Britt

Britt New Member

I decided to put a pair of RoadSmart tires on my 01. Only 5 miles on them so far, so I can't give a review, but I'm hoping they turn out to be a "smart" purchase. :wink:

Here's a review of them on Motorcycle.com (and they even show a glimpse of a VFR in the video!).

Dunlop Roadsmart Tire Review

17. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have been using the Dunlop Roadsmarts for over a year and love the tires - best sport tourer tires I have owned. I also have a Yamaha YZF 600R with Avon Storm STs which are great tires and not bad on the track (great tires in the rain). Hey guys as far as online tire deals go MOTORCYCLE PRO SHOP- Compare Motorcycle Exhaust, Motorcycle Tire, and Motorcycle Accessories is hard to beat. Check MOTORCYCLE PRO SHOP- Compare Motorcycle Exhaust, Motorcycle Tire, and Motorcycle Accessories - Dunlop RoadSmart Set $262.00; Dunlop Qualifier Set $254; Avon Storm ST $259.00 and shipping is free. The Avon tires carry a puncture warranty and I have had the rear tire replaced twice (got flats from nails both times). I have had stock Bridgestone tyres (do not like them at all), Michelin Pilot (wear too fast - great tire), Avon Storm ST (great tire on all surfaces and great in rain), and Dunlop RoadSmart tyres (excellent tire, great feedback and excellent in the rain and on different surfaces, somewhat flat profile which provides a plush kinda ride with excellent feedback and great on groved surfaces - favorite winter tyres for riding in New York on the VFR.

18. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    OK - I'm convinced - gotta try em for my next set of donuts. I've been running Qualifiers.

MD

19. jaimev34

jaimev34 New Member

Map
    I have a Roadsmart rear tire with about 3k miles on it. I love this tire! Confidence-inspiring grip with a harder center. I know that if I had the Qulifiers, the center would probably wear out much quicker than the sides. I'm hoping to get about 8-10k miles out of it. I have a Pilot Road 2 on the front with about 12k miles. I'm almost at the wear bars on the sides. I've heard bad stories about Roadsmart front tires cupping, so I think I'll stick with this combo. I run my tires at 36 and 40, front and rear respectively. I do about 50% canyon carving and 50% commuting/city.

20. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    12k is a lot of friggin miles for one tire.