@#*%$*%@ Electrical issues. 99' owner needs direction.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by hans, Oct 20, 2010.

1. hans

hans New Member

United States
    Hi there.

Three mechanics, 4 batteries, a new rr and stator, new lights and cleaned/run wires later - my best friend of 55,000 miles is a battery killer. It started a year and a half ago when I began having issues with my dash (lost back lighting to the right side and the turn indicators on the dash flashed opposite of direction, though the actual indicators do the right thing). I still have the dash issues, but disconnecting the dash made no difference (though i haven't put a new battery in since disconnection.... hmmm). She's a '99 800 and is otherwise in good shape - strong and fast. Dang mechanic changed the rr and stator saying the issue was likely intermittent - though it was charging then and now perfectly.

Can anyone give me some ideas, or especially to steer me to someone that's dealt with this before. I'm not in the position to spend much more on it - but would sure love to have it for another 50,000. I read in a separate thread there was a possibility it was the clock circut. Others have said a full replacement of the harness. Idiot mechanic said his next move was to replace the computer - yea, the computer.

Thanks very much for your time,
    Hans

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    try the vfrness from Wire My Bike I don't know him personally and I haven't used his product, but many of the guys on here swear by his products and service. Popular opinion says he knows his stuff and he'll likely be able to help you with your issue. We also have several more knowledgable(sp?) members when it comes to wiring that'll be along shortly to help out I'm sure.

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Almost forgot my shameless plug for what I did to lower cost and improve performance of my R/R failure. (Mine was the new 'upgraded' honda version) I swapped out to a Yamaha R1 R/R that cost about $40 on eBay. Here's how: http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/30845-making-yamaha-r1-regulator-work-5th-gen-vfr-how.html

I realize you have already changed your R/R so this may not really help you, but then again browse it and maybe something in there will key you in on something you missed with yours. who knows.

4. OTTOMAN

OTTOMAN New Member

United States
    Map
    "Computer" is for fuel trim...wont fix an electrical issue. I agree with Reg, also w/o having dealt personally, see wiremybike.com Great reviews from all. Good luck.

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    VFRness would deal with charging issues but not the dash or turn signals. I haven't read of this issue yet but I would also question the logic behind replacing the computer. Sounds like the guy is just throwing things at it because he doesn't have the skills to properly isolate and diagnose the problem.

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    more i think about this, and if I understand your description of the problem; it sounds like a bad ground connection/circuit on the dash. Would have to see a wiring schematic to figure out most likely failure points. The key is that the dash is flashing opposite the turn signals. Without having a good ground, the voltage may be backfed down another circuit.

Consider a trailer - if you don't hook it up to the truck (the hitch), plug it in, but disconnect the ground wire - your running lights will work but not at the same time as the brakes or the turn signals. Also, activating a turn signal will make the opposite running light flash on/off. This is because the voltage doesn't have a way back to the vehicle when power is being sent out on all wires. Connect the ground wire and everything works great.

Hard to describe but anyone who's fought with crappy trailer lighting enough has experienced this.

7. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    Many electrical problems come from poor grounds.
    The new computerized systems work on + or - 1 volt.
    First I would find the ground that goes to the engine. Make sure it is clean.
    Take it loose and sand it.
    ALSO make sure there is another ground from the frame to the battery.
    Make one up if you have to.
    Many bikes ONLY have a ground from the harness to the engine mount.

Make ONE change at a time. Very important.

For instance if you think a clock is a problem - Disconnect it and wait for the result.
    CHECK that one off of the list.

ALSO you said the signals do not work right .

READ that again.
    Get those to work right. Could be a source of your problem.
    A switch or turn signal relay.

Don't pass things by.

8. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I don't understand the exact problem from your description (besides the dash issues); do you mean that the battery goes dead when the bike sits and hasn't been started? Or do you mean that the battery goes bad in normal use after a short period of time?

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Try a current leakage test: ammeter placed between battery + and main red wire that attaches there.

With key OFF, you should not see any current flow except maybe a few milliamps.

Use a test meter also to get a reading of DC volts across battery terminals with engine at about 5000rpm, where anything in the 14 volt area is good.