Electrical issues with my 99

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by SLOav8r, May 7, 2007.

1. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Need to tap into the knowledge base here a bit.

Battery has been discharging. Thought my 6 month old battery was bad, so I got a new one the other day. Problem only got worse. Battery drops down to about 8 volts overnight. Did some leak testing and found that the problem is in the clock circuit. Will see if it can hold a charge overnight with the fuse pulled.

Next step is to find the fault, but before I tear stuff apart farther (or seek professional help) I wanted to reach out and see if anybody has dealt with this in the past. Is it something fixable in the wiring? Will it require a new cluster? etc...

RR is fresh (Sept 06), started noticing the clock resetting earlier this year, but figured it was nothing since the bike wasn't being ridden that often while I was doing brakes/exhaust and the such...

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Are you sure you don't have a dirty connection or something simple that might be causing it to mess up?

3. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

<bumpity-bump-bump>

4. Rev

Rev New Member

Did it discharge with the fuse pulled?

5. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Funny you should ask, cuz it did. HOWEVER, it was a battery that got discharged bad a half dozen times, so I think I may have deaded it.

I put the battery off another bike in overnight that is in good shape and it did not discharge.

Just to rule out the system on this, I'm going to put that good battery back in and see what happens.

6. hans

hans New Member

United States
    SLOav8r, your issue with the 99 sounds a lot like mine - only i haven't had the balls to dead another battery figuring out if it's the clock. I figured that the clock was resetting due to the batteries dying - but you found a short in the clock circuit? What happened when you installed the good battery with the clock fuse pulled - did the problem resurface. I'm at wits end here! (Been a while since i was down your way - I'm from SF, but moved to NYC 6 years ago.)

I recently submitted this thread: Three mechanics, 4 batteries, a new rr and stator, new lights and cleaned/run wires later - my best friend of 55,000 miles is a battery killer. It started a year and a half ago when I began having issues with my dash (lost back lighting to the right side and the turn indicators on the dash flashed opposite of direction, though the actual indicators do the right thing). I still have the dash issues, but disconnecting the dash made no difference (though i haven't put a new battery in since disconnection.... hmmm). She's a '99 800 and is otherwise in good shape - strong and fast. Dang mechanic changed the rr and stator saying the issue was likely intermittent - though it was charging then and now perfectly."

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    you know, this thread is 3 years old and SLOzv8r sold his VFR so I don't even remember what he ended up doing. I was riding with him when his R/R went kaput put I think that was just before all this. I'd bet your issues are nothing the guy over at wiremybike.com or org or whatever wouldn't help you with, though.