Electrical issues

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by hynzy, May 12, 2020.

1. hynzy

hynzy New Member

Australia
    Hi ,
    I own a 2010 VFR 800, recently the battery has been losing it's charge overnight and I have had to jump start the bike.
    I purchased a new battery thinking that was the problem however while riding over the weekend the bike lost power and upon inspection had blown a main fuse. I replaced the fuse under the magnetic starter switch and jump started the bike but the charge was not holding. I took the battery out and recharged it over night and put it back in the bike. The bike started and I was able to ride for about 30 mins before the bike again lost power, this time it did not blow the fuse.
    I had to get a trailer to get the bike home. I have inspected the fuses and the wire connector to the magnetic starter switch seems to be melted. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what could be causing this to happen and how to fix the problem
    Thanks
    Hynzy

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

I fear your problem sounds very familiar. Without testing it is difficult to be certain but I would suspect that you have a burnt out stator and/or Regulator rectifier. This 20+ page thread will explain how you can go about determining what needs attention. The thread began with 5th Gen VFRs and pretty much the same issues can affect the 6th gen models.

https://vfrworld.com/threads/how-to-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.39277/

If you are not confident with a multimeter - you could take a more basic approach - recharge the battery, inspect the charging system wiring - especially connectors and fuses and if that finds nothing remove the stator cover - if that reveals burnt windings you have your problem if not its probably a faulty RR.

Basically all 4 elements of the charging system (RR, Stator, Battery and loom) need to be in good order and a fault in any one can damage some or all of the others.

Let us know how you get on, and when you get a chance please swing by the introductions part of the site to say Hi to the rest of the folks on here - tell uis a bit about you and your riding history and pehaps add a photo or two - its easy just click the "upload a file" link below to select and upload photos.

Take care

SkiMad