Electrical problem

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by EricGDR, Jul 28, 2018.

1. EricGDR

EricGDR New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello

My high beams aren’t working, and more recently, the turning signals appear to only work intermittently.

I replaced my battery as that was not holding a charge - however, the bike would stay running when I push started it.

A knucklehead at AutoZone said the battery was fine; another knucklehead at advance auto parts said the battery was shot. It was pushing 12 volts, however the cca was very low (exact number escapes me at the moment).
    One guy was super old while the other appeared to have just smoked a blunt. Not very confidence inspiring for someone with limited knowledge in this regard...

Anybody have any wisdom for me? Blown fuse? Shoddy switch? Faulty relay?

I’m in the midst of moving, so I’m trying to avoid dropping a ton of money in the Viffer if I can help it... thanks in advance! I really appreciate any feedback folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hmm

I hope I am wrong but those symptoms could however be linked to the infamous charging system problems which afflict VFRs and many other Honda models. If the RR fails depending on which diode fails, it could be sending 40+ volts (or even AC) into the charging system - that can swiftly blow bulbs, melt wires and boil a battery dry and eventually see the stator windings melting - I know that happened a few years back to my 800 vtec.

So the simple first step is to check if BOTH bulbs are blown - if so I fear you probably need to get your head around "the Drill" the following thread explains pretty much all you need to know. OK it started out for 5th gens but the same issues affect 6th gens.

Does the bike have a voltmeter? It may not prevent problems but a voltmeter can reveal if there are charging system issues before they get costly.

http://vfrworld.com/threads/how-to-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.39277/

SkiMad

wiremanjon likes this.
  3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Just as SkiMad has said, the place to start is THE DRILL which is the ninth post in the above thread.
    If the charging system checks out as OK, then you may have a, or some poor grounding connections.
    Start with THE DRILL!

4. EricGDR

EricGDR New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the info guys.

Approximately 20k ago, the r/r fried the fuel pump. $800 later....
    I didn’t know better at the time..and the Honda dealer most likely put an oem r/r back in.
    I’m so sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dannll

dannll New Member

United States
    Map
    Quote:
    It was pushing 12 volts, however the cca was very low (exact number escapes me at the moment).

"pushing" 12 volts is NOT a fully charged battery by any means, should be at least 12.5, more like 12.7 for these type of batteries.
    If it will not hold above 12.5 when rested after a charge, it is marginal at best. A 12 volt maintenance free battery showing 12.0 actual volts is only 25 percent charged.

6. Bertye

Bertye New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    There was a recall for the front part of the wiring loom. The earth wire in the connecting plug is just to small for the load,though when it go's all the light go out. But you may still have an earthing problem. My 2003 modal was imported to the UK from the USA and Honda would not sort out the recall as it was not Honda UK's problem. I have soldered in an extra earth wires to each head light plug unit and earthed straight to the frame to prevent a future problem. I also fitted a heavy duty fuse holder which has it's own thick wire to the battery and cut out the rectifier plug and soldered the wires together. The one in there was already starting to melt with only 12,700 mile on it. Hopefully that should be it, but will keep a eye on it all.