Electrical trouble...is it the battery?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by vfracer, Sep 22, 2003.

1. vfracer

vfracer New Member

Any one have a clue about Electrical?
    I had a broken wire going to one of the tail brake lights.
    Can this drain the battery?

What happen is my own fault......I just got done the hour before praising my VFR never lets me down to a follow rider.

I came to a light the bike stalled.....then tried to start ...not enough power to start.
    Poor Girl friend ...I think it was the first time she heard me #$%#$ words like that ...

Good thing there was a small hill. Jump started with a push.

So I humped it home....thinking it was a dead battery.
    Qe: What is the approx life of a battery?

Got the new battery ...FYI...bike battery's need to be juiced for 10 hours before use...Don't trust the kid behind the counter.
    After battery was juiced the next day started no problem.
    Later I found the one of two brake light wires was broke.
    I had the key on trying to find out what was going on for 10 15 min...Would this kill the new battery?

Because wham that's what happen again.
    I'm not also sure If I charged the battery for 10 hrs at 2 amp or 10 amp?
    So I fixed the wire...re-charged again last night at 10 amp.
    Sorry guys for the long ....letter

Hope some one may have a clue or maybe its something I have not even looked into.

I have heated hand grips..air horns...flashing head light for day time riding...also a led lights in addition to bulbs in tail.
    Never had a problem with this stuff before.

Ride safe!
    :eek:

2. Gary_Fulmer

Gary_Fulmer New Member

get a volt/ohm meter and check the battery,s voltage before starting bike (should be btw. 12.6 and 13.2) then check when engine running ( should be over 13 volts and go up to 14 volts as rpm's rise) if voltage doesn't rise with rpm rise then you most likely have a defective regulator/rectifier. See electrical forum - regulator/rectifier failures for more info. FYI 10 amps is way too high to charge a motorcycle battery. use 2 amps or less.

3. vfracer

vfracer New Member

;DHey thanks a bunch....Stealing...hummm borrowing one from work today will test tonight.
    Thanks again

4. vfracer

vfracer New Member

Looks like I join the vfr worlds of failed RR's....for some reason I didn't look at the Electrical section to find the problem.
    I would like to thank everyone that posts... every little bit helps.....great tips!.
    I know also keep a little tester under my seat that test the battery and chargering system.
    "Hey for $12.00 at the local Auto store its worth it......and they are Dummy proof to work."
    Thing I don't under stand is why a bike like this with its nice Display does not already have a gauge for the electrical system?
    So I will one and install myself.

Ride Fast but Ride Safe!

Jersey Steve

5. Gary_Fulmer

Gary_Fulmer New Member

I think a voltmeter installed on the bike would be great. Anyone know where I could get a really small one (about 1" in dia.) that covers the range from 10 - 15 v. ?

6. vfracer

vfracer New Member

My Dad had a good idea to try the local Harley shop....they usually have stuff like this or a good speed shop.

Jersey Steve