Engine Leak!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by field3, Jun 30, 2004.

1. field3

field3 New Member

Hey Guys...

I ran into a new issue this past week deal with the infamous Mobil 1 12W-50 Oil ... I recently went to this brand of oil about 120 miles ago. Since then I carefully looked over the bike and found that there was an oil leak coming from one of the cylinders... I believe it is the front left cylinder if you are sitting on the bike... the oil is leaking from somewhere up on the top of the engine and making its way down to the headers...

I also took apart the air box ... pulled off the K&N filter and found that there was soot (sp) and loose oil around two of the inlets... mainly from the rear right and forward left inlet (again if you were sitting on the bike) ...

Has anyone encountered this??

I was on ebay the other day and found this bottle of sealant...call SealLube (one word) ...

I was thinking about getting this before taking it to the dealer... has anyone ever used this product or anything similar to it??

http://www.newtintl.homestead.com/seallube.html

Also... if you have anysuggestion please feel free to drop a line!!!!

2. Old_Codger

Old_Codger New Member

Check the rocker box gaskets and bolt torgue, try switching back to an all petroleum oil. I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

3. field3

field3 New Member

Status on engine oil leak…

11:30 – 12:30 AM … worked on my bike removing the gas tank, loosening oil cooler,
    left radiator, and removing the air box.

12:31 – 12:45 … inspected suspected area of oil leak and compared with other parts of
    engine specifically comparing grid #2 (where oil leak is occurring) with grid #3 of engine. Removed valve screw (I think that is what they are called - circle screws) from grid/piston/hemisphere #2 and searched for seal to see whether it was cracked… I come to find out that there is no valve seal found… I then unscrew valve screw from grid #3 and find a seal (similar to O-ring) there… I am at this point dumbfounded that the previous seller had his valves checked at 15,000 miles but was never made aware of this issue… the bike now has ~16,700 miles.

12:46 – 12:49 … bitched with my neighbor about this dilemma

12:50 – 1:25 … headed to closest bike shop (Honda House of Elmhurst) to purchase a
    valve seal (~$4.80) …

1:26 – 2:30 … lubed seals with oil and screwed in valve screws, installed air box, gas
    tank, secured oil cooler…

2:45 … headed to work … late….

Total Labor: 3 hours

I was lucky that Honda House had two valve seals in stock... although if I were to have them do this it would have cost me $69/hr labor plus material (~$5) roughly about $210 dollars for a freaking seal. I bought this privately from some dude near me about 2-3 months ago for $5k (16,500 miles on it stock) … what are your suggestions in regards to contacting this individual??? Or should I even contact him at all???

Do you think there were any negative effects in which when this seal was no on the bike other than oil loss??