Engine over filled with oil danger and concern! By the Dealer!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Bubba Utah, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    So, I had the dealer do an oil change while mounting 2 new tires ( I would have done the oil change but it was convenient to do both while the bike was there) I gave them my oil, filter and crush washer. 4 quarts of synthetic and knowing this is the direct amount from the manual.

These are the specs for 2014 VFR

ENGINE OIL CAPACITY: 2.9 liters (3.1 US qt, 2.6lmp qt) at draining 3.1 liters (3.3 US qt, 2.7 lmp qt) at oil filter change 3.9 liters (4.1 US qt, 3.4lmp qt)at disassembly.

I gave them 4qts U.S. and I got back a bottle with 1.25-1.50 quarts back so they went with the disassembly route I guess. They tried to fuck with me with the mounting cost, and I had to go to work. When I got home I pulled the bike up on the center stand and the oil is over filled from the marks. It did stand for over 12 hrs. afterwards.

Can I ride the bike with approximately .5 liters of overfill of oil with the last 2 days of good riding or should I loose those days due to possible damage and take it back to the assholes? I also wanted to break in those new tires. I AM SO PISSED OFF.

2. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    that is a lot of oil to overfill with, personally I would drain a bit of it out, better to be safe than sorry I reckon

Bubba Utah likes this.
  3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    How far over the top line is the oil? How do you know it's overfilled a half-quart? You can't really
    judge by the amount of oil they returned. If I felt my bike was overfilled by too much, I'd syphon
    some out, and then go yell at the dealer. Taking the bike back only means you'll be out of more
    riding time.

They'll just syphon out a little oil and send you on your way anyway.

4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Fire it up take it out for a spin long enough to warm the engine up. Come back place on stand go and have a cuppa/ beer then check level. Make sure it’s onlevel ground.

If too high syphon some off if your that worried.

Other reason could be that your using American imperial measurements/ oil in a metric bike. :uk:

Bubba Utah likes this.
  5. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I will, I am just pissed that a certified dealer would over fill per the price paid.

6. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I know just mad I did not do it and now I have to syphon after paying a dealer with certified techs that fucked up. I know it is way over filled. Thanks

7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

I got you. I should have saved $40 buck and done it myself, but as you all Know "I hate plastic and Plastic hates me!" meaning I always fuck up those clips and work on the bike when a dealer is closed to get new ones or any part the I mess up or loose!;-) Good news is that I only need to take off the lower left cowl to get to the plug! 10 mins or if I screw up the clips another great day lost until I get some Monday. Today is going to be 73F and a gorgeous day. but still pissed that I had them do it and they fucked up and tried to get $160 for a tire change on the bike. Ok, Blood pressure is good. ;-)

8. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    You don't need to pull the plug to get rid of a bit of oil. Get some flexible hose and syphon some out the
    filler plug hole. That's the easiest way, and your plastic clips will thank you. :)

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

OK, we get it, you made the mistake of taking your machine to the dealer and they didn't do a great job for you. They overfilled it with a little extra oil, it happens to the best of us. It isn't that hard to rectify the situation. I suggest learning how to win the intellectual battle with a few plastic clips and living happily ever after.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  10. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I know. I actually can get to the drain plug and did without all of that Stupid Humor that I posted. I drained a full half quart to get it right in 5mins. Just got back from a 2 hr. ride scuffing up the new T30 evo's after Brunch. Here Is a pic that I will show to the shop tomorrow. Not that they will do shit or believe me.

:Bounce::Amen: sorry for :deadhorse:.

11. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
  12. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Thanks NorcalBoy! It's not the intellect believe it or not. It is getting over impatience that is my key to move on.;-)

13. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I can not get a pic to upload it asks me for a URL and it is just a jpeg saved on my hard drive. Any help here?

14. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    45B74EBC-0EA1-4CC7-90F3-0A902FB1C284.jpeg Try the upload a file button.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  15. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    IMG_0831.JPG

fink likes this.
  16. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    That's quite a bit of excess oil.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  17. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    bugger me, that is a shitload of excess oil, not very good considering it was a main dealer

Bubba Utah likes this.
  18. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Hey, the head mechanic there did a 2 month school. he is a professional. I'm sure he put in the correct amount. But then again his generation can't even read an analogue clock. lol

I'm serious about the clock thing though, ask a kid to tell you the time from an analogue clock, you will be amazed that they don't know how or have to figure/count it out. And they can't write in cursive! How the hell do they sign their names? Make an X? lol

Bubba Utah and fink like this.
  19. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Well it was a good thing that I did look at the oil window just to see how clear the oil was. I used Seafoam in the crankcase with the old oil. I know that they changed the oil cold and did not let it sit more than 4 mins before filling. The oil is a slightly darker color than new but it was black before changing it.

When I change the oil I let it sit overnight to drain out as much as possible. That is the last shop oil change for sure, but I am good for another 6,000 - 8,000 miles. I have new rubber, new oil, new brake and clutch oil. So I'm good for a year or so as long as the Bike Gods be with me. I also called the dealer and was very nice. I told them to talk to the tech that did the change and let them know that they went off the 3.9 disassembled recommendation and not by sight in the window or even knew it was 3.3 quarts with the filter. I told them with the .5 of a quart that I pulled out- the 3.3 needed in the bike and the remainder I got back pretty much came to 4 full quarts. I asked them to coach the person the correct way to do an oil change. Of course they thanked me and said they would talk to the tech. Damnit I wanted to yell! ;-)

Gator likes this.
  20. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Karma is your best friend and you just loaded your account. Way to take the high road and just chalk it up as a learning experience. Should have told them you would take the refund in plastic fairing clips, hahahahahaha. Just Teasing!

Bubba Utah and Gator like this.