Evap canister

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by GixrFixr, Feb 23, 2020.

1. GixrFixr

GixrFixr New Member

United States
    Ok, this is my first post in years, let's see if i get this right, lol.. I just completed the second oil change on my '15 VFR800, at around 4300 miles. No, i don't ride it that much! I read a few other member's posts on the subject, which i found helpful. I removed the right side lower fairing but left the left side in place, and partially removed the emissions system evap canister to allow more working room. (i'm pretty sure that's what it is, anyway). I also use K&N filters (KN-204) which have the hex nut on the end, negating the need for a filter wrench. So it occurred to me that maybe the canister could be eliminated to make the job easier still in the future. I've done this on other bikes i've owned in the past with no negative side effects. Has anyone tried it? Thanks for any comments, and excuse my ignorance if this has been covered somewhere already..

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't worry about the canister, I would worry deeply about the K&N oil filter. As many others here on this forum will attest, the are dangerous. They offer no better performance than the stock filter, but they do fail on a regular basis, most where the nut is spot welded to the can. Stick to the stock and get your self a good wrench.
    K&N.png
    This is what happens when they let go. Very experienced young lady and well respected member of this forum was able to bring her bike to a stop and it was loaded with luggage too. If you are in a corner, you don't stand a chance. She was lucky, she was traveling in a straight line.

I am about to do my oil change as well, just at the 8000 mi mark. I use Amsoil pure synthetic and follow the manual on intervals. I do mine from the left side and only have to loosen lower radiator and move it a small amount to get the filter in and out.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  3. GixrFixr

GixrFixr New Member

United States
    Yikes, that's serious! And surprising to me. I've used them in virtually all my bikes over the past 18 years or so, and never had an issue. But i'll think about using the oem filter next time. I'd still like to hear from anyone who has removed their canister though.