F1 light on or flashing

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by jasonbrownett, Dec 16, 2017.

1. jasonbrownett

jasonbrownett New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi guys I've fitted an injection control box (orange box in picture) to connects between temp sensor and ECU, basically connects to airbox temp sensor and temp sensor lead connects to box. Anyway since fitting the F1 light comes on or flashes but bike rides perfectly fine, any ideas or just don't worry about it. Thanks Jason.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    The FI light is trying to tell you that it is not happy with an input from a sensor. The flash pattern is a code that can be read to determine which sensor. You need a copy of the service manual to do this but it is a very simple procedure. With the FI in fault mode, the ECU will often drop into a mode that ignores the faulty sensor if it can, which (if your mod has affected the temp sensor) might mean the bike assumes a default temperature rather than a real measured temperature.

jasonbrownett likes this.
  3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    So it sounds like you just want to stop the code flashing..

I guess you know how to read these FI Flash codes. If not this video shows how to read them and how to clear them.

If the code being displayed makes sense - ie relates to something you have been messing with then you can probably clear the codes and that may get rid of the codes. If it relates to something unrelated then its probably important to investigate further. These codes are designed to draw attention to problems so should not be blithely ignored.

Hope that helps

SkiMad

jasonbrownett likes this.
  4. jasonbrownett

jasonbrownett New Member

United Kingdom
    The bike runs fine so I suspect it's the injection box that is causing it, but seeing as bike runs fine I will try a reset. I'd rather keep injection box on as bike has full stainless exhaust and I don't want it running lean. Thanks for info

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, so you realize that the box is simply telling the bike that the engine is cold and in essence you're riding around with your choke on. Not tuneable and honestly not that advisable due to this. It needs the temp sensor to send an altered signal to your ECU, that is outside of the parameters of your computer's mapping.

Why not get a device like a Power Commander, or Rapid Bike and have the ability to tune it to your desired results, vs just dumping extra fuel down it's throat?

6. bigbadbass

bigbadbass New Member

United States
    Map
    Isn't it easy enough to determine precisely what code the bike is throwing first?
    THEN presenting that info to the vendor or manufacturer of the "injection box" to see if a proper fix exists?

Is this "box" actually intended for a Gen 5 VFR?

7. jasonbrownett

jasonbrownett New Member

United Kingdom
    Right the code is temp sensor I've checked connections and all good, my injection box is adjustable and id rather it was running slightly rich than lean as I have a full race exhaust on bike. Also contacted manufacturer about it but no reply so have bought a a power commander pc3 usb and have downloaded map for for my bike. Just waiting for postman pat to deliver now.

8. jasonbrownett

jasonbrownett New Member

United Kingdom
    It's for gen 5 and it's adjustable.

9. jasonbrownett

jasonbrownett New Member

United Kingdom
    The box is doing that but it's a bit more advanced than that and it is adjustable. Bike runs lovely but have ordered power commander.

Lint likes this.
  10. ivicabb

ivicabb New Member

Croatia
    HI, I need some help, how to reset the FI red flash light on a VFR 2006. I have a a red 4 pin connector under the front left plastic cover, in the manual that I downloaded from the net is not described witch one of the 4 wires shut be connected or jumped together, please help

11. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    If you mean you want to clear the stored codes then just carefully watch all the video linked above which explains what you need to do for 5th and 6th gen 800s. Take your time but its pretty obvious.

12. ivicabb

ivicabb New Member

Croatia
    Thanks for your time, I did it like in the video buth with no success , so I believe that there must be a nother Kombination of the wires to connect , but witch one ?