Faceshield fogging up

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Maliboost, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

you guys use anything to stop the facesheild from fogging up?? I just bought some plexus stuff to clean it off & the guy @ the bike shop had some "anti-fog" stuff. I specifically asked him if it worked, & he said "Yea it works good". well................ it was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse than having nothing on there @ all. not only did it fog, but it would not clear up. by the time I was @ work I was REALLY pissed. anyway, you folks put anything on your shield to keep them from fogging up??? I tried holding my breath, but passing out on the freeway does not sound like a good plan. LOL>

thanks
    Bob

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    ABSOLUTELY NOTHING helped me worth more than tits on a boar's :ass: Trust me, I have tried.....only thing I can do is crack my shield open....and in the winter I freeze my eyeballs, but I have a clear shield at least.

You did not specify your helmet make and model...I have a Shoei RF1000. They have tight seal, and based on other owners, they love to fog up. I have tried Scott's, Zooke, some other Fog stuff I got at Cycle Gear, fog city insert....all garbage.

Wait a second....you mean you actually got out and rode your bike Bob??? When??? Just messin' boss....hope to ride with you sometime.

3. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    what stuka said....crack the shield open a tiny bit.

4. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Check out Webbikeworld LINK. Scroll down a little and they have reviews on some anti fog treatments. Your best option is to try and find a shield with an anti-fog coating. Shark visors come with them and mine has never fogged up.

Action

5. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Arais have a setting to lock the shield close or lock it in a "ventilation" setting.
    I love it. I don't use anything else to prevent fogging.

6. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

Well shoot........... I figured after 20 years, someone would have developed a product that actually works. I guess not.

Action, thanks for the link. It took me to a few other "anti-fog" tests, & in short........... nothing works. there is "sucky", "more sucky" & "dangerous sucky". It looks like that SalClear stuff seems to be promising, however as Dr. whats-his-name pointed out plastic is a difficult material to try to prevent fog on so................. ARTICLE

Frank, I have the Shoei RF1000 & it really does not have a "1/2 click" Ventilation setting, like my last Shoei did. Honestly, Im pretty disapointed with this helmet. even though it got good reviews for wind noise & whatnot, Im not real happy with that or this vent setting thing, but I wont get on my soapbox.

Jason, Yea, I got this anti fog junk @ Cycle Gear in Kearny Mesa. I also bought thier version of the plexus for the outside & windscreen, seems to work pretty well. I like the shop, but was pretty tweaked about this thing. Oh well, $6.00 down the drain. maybe I will take it back, when I go back to order a bike cover. Im looking for one of them 1/2 covers to keep the dust/sun/exh off of it while Im @ work. & yea, Im riding it. in fact, I rid it pretty much every day. I commute on it. I just dont get to go out & have some fun on it very often. Ive been out to El Cajon for the car show once, but thats about it. :(

thanks guys
    Bob

7. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I use a Scott "No Fog Cloth". It is usually sold at the counter at most bike shops. It is nothing more than a small terry cloth rag, with magic stuff on it, in a zip lock baggie.

The key to making it work is to put your helmet on with the face shield down, thoroughly fog it up by breathing heavily, and then wipe the inside of the face shield dry with the cloth. That's it. It might still fog a little bit, but it eliminates 80-90% of the problem for me.

You will have to repeat the exercise every time you clean the inside of the face shield, and occasionally even if you don't clean it.

8. Britt

Britt New Member

I had Fog City film on my RF800 for years and I do have to say that it really helped a lot. If there was too much moisture in there it would bead up into large droplets, but it never fogged on me.

My RF1000 came with the breath guard that I think is mainly used for snowmobiling. When it gets cool out, I pop that in and it really helps a ton.

I was told once by an old timer to wash the shield with baby shampoo and to be sure to leave a film of it on there. He claimed it worked wonders, but I have never tried it...

9. Seamus07

Seamus07 New Member

I wear a Shoei RF-1000 and use a special faceshield that supports a pinlock lens. It works better than anything else I've tried. I wear it every day now that the mornings are in the 40's and it keeps the fog off the visor even with all the vents closed sitting at intersections. The area around the pinlock lens still fogs, but it is liveable. My wife gave it to me for father's day to keep my riding safe. It was costly, but necessary for riding in early spring and late fall around here.

Here's a link:

Pinlock

If you choose to go this way, note that these pinlock lenses scratch very easily. Clean it with care.

10. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

I will see if I cant find that fog cloth thing.

I have that nose guard thing for my helmet & used to put it in with my old Shoei, the thing is with the new one........... it rids right on my nose & rubs it raw. I guess Im just a crotchety old man & need to get over it. LOL.

Bob

11. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

Seamus,

what is that PinLock thing?? it looks kinda like a coating that goes inside the lense of the helmet??

thanks again guys
    Bob

12. Seamus07

Seamus07 New Member

The pinlock lens feels like a piece of silicone. You attach it to the faceshield by flexing the faceshield until it is almost flat, then you place the pinlock lens on the inside of the shield between the pins. When you allow the faceshield to curve back to its normal shape, the pinlock lens adheres to the faceshield and is held in place by the force created between the pins. It creates two layers of faceshield, sealed around its edge to the Shoei faceshield. There is a layer of air between the pinlock lens and the faceshield. I'm guessing that air pocket cuts the temperature differential between the outside and inside of the faceshield to prevent condensation, but I'm no physicist.

Looking through the thing, the optics are surprisingly good. Not quite as clear as looking through that terrific Shoei shield, but not distracting enough to bother you.

I hope that explanation makes sense!

13. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I would say Fog City is a moderate success. I've had it for one winter season and it works though it still does fog up slightly but at least I can see through the visor. The only problem with Fog City is that the material is extremely sensitive and if you touch it lightly you'll ruin it.

IMO the best bet is to get a specially treated visor for your helmet. My scorpion helmet has anti-fog material and I have to say it works really well, much better than Fog City.

14. Joe Foe from Buffalo

Joe Foe from Buffalo New Member

United States
    I have two words to say that will make cost the least and work just as good as any Anti Fog crap...."Shaving Cream" Yes it works and I have been using it for years with no problems. Check this post out for some details
    Shaving Cream the best Anti Fog - Paintball Forums

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Well guys, you can take it from someone who commutes year round on the wet coast. Don't buy any of that expensive shit out there. I've tried many of them and at best, they make a very slight difference but not nearly enough to make it safe. Can't say I have tried that clothy thingy though.

The shave cream is a likely candidate. But I smear dish washing liquid on the inside and clear off most of it leaving a film. You will have to get used to a shield that looks a little dirty but you will do that fast. Even in the driving rain, right at freezing temperatures, this works very well.

You can crack the shield a bit but you want to ensure you do not get any rain inside the helmet. Even a few drops buggers things up. The only time I opened the shield, was when I was at a stop, then only enough to allow the breath to escape. Make sure your face and hair is dry when you put the helmet on.

If you are purchasing a new helmet, a breath guard should be a feature you insist on. If the helmet does not have one that comes right up over your nose, then move on. My Shark has one. The nose sheild also vents directly out the sides.

So there you have it. The best and cheapest is a film of soap, being shave cream, baby shampoo or dish washing liquid. I have even used bar soap but it was a lot of work rubbing that stuff in.

And for chrissake, stop whistling while you drive.

16. Chewa

Chewa New Member

Another vote for the Pinlock lens. I got my Arai Viper Gt and it comes with Pinlock as standard. Just like Seamus07 says it's a secondary visor which fits inside and is sealed with a silicon like edge. It "double glazes" the visor.

I can run with all vents closed (even the Arai 1/2 click vent) and it doesn't mist up. If I'm wearing sunglases under, with all vents shut the sunglasses fog, but the visor doesn't.

You can get pinlock in clear, and various tints. Well worth a try. Cost £15 over here (about $20 - but that will be changing as the pound collapses lol)

17. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You are... now suck it up Bob. My Shark has an interchangeable nose shield and the winter one works quite well. But you still have to del with some condensation . The mask does however have some molding capabilities and I can make it feet; quite comfortable though.

I am going to look at that Pinlock system though. Always looking to improve where I can.

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    LOL you just need to breath differently is all. or quite breathing all together.;)

19. DashCrasher

DashCrasher New Member

Take some shampoo or dish soap, mix a few drops with a tablespoon of water, and then dip your finger in and apply to inside of visor. let it air dry and it's the best anti-fog out there. Tried and tested on lots of hockey visors, better than any commercial product. Easy to do, just try to avoid heavy areas...make sure you have an even thin film.

20. pm_wizard

pm_wizard New Member

Map
    I use a Respro Foggy neoprene face guard that fits inside the helmet. Basically it directs your breath out the bottom of the helmet so there is no fogging. I bought it from TopEndz Home

It works very well.

John