Fifth Gen ground up build

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by notoriousERIC, Sep 27, 2022.

1. notoriousERIC

notoriousERIC New Member

United States
    Map
    I built this entire bike recovering from Diffuse Axonal Injury.
    I started with my favorite motor. A '98 vfr800fi. Stock motor rebuild, except the next size up stock piston, a Barnett Clutch. Cbr1000rr coils. An ST1300 radiator. An RC51 oil cooler. R1 front end. Cbr929rr shock. R1 seat/tail. 6th Gen frame, subframe, tank, swingarm and side plastics.
    I started with the motor. I'm not even a year out of the hospital, still like a drunk ten year old, and I started on this motor. I built it right I guess!
    Then I put a frame on. Then the swingarm. Then I took a stock 929 shock and extended the mount myself. I spoke with Jamie Daugherty, and he advised to extend the shock, not the mount. Plus, a stock 929 shock isn't much better than the stock vfr shock. Its just more tunable.
    Then I machined a stem to press into the r1 lower triple, and the stem to take the vfr bearings and top nuts. Had to shave down the steering stops a bit. Dirt bike bars. ASV levers. A gsxr clutch MC, just what I could get for free. GPR stabilizer. I support most Southern California products.
    Trail Tech Voyager gauge. A Motowolf video system. I have a temp sensor after motor, before radiator, hottest. And one after radiator, before motor, coolest.
    Mesa Hose made me my oil cooler lines, braided SS. He made my fuel hose, braided SS with a port to screw in a pressure gauge. So I can see fuel pressure. And he made me my linked brake de link on the rear caliper. I had to connect the one piston that's on a separate hose to have all three pistons work off the rear MC.
    My st1300 radiator had four vfr upper rad hoses, couplered by the temp sensors. The radiator has two 4" fans on a manual switch. I only see over 200°f in traffic. 185°f normal riding.
    I have a vfrness, my stator was rewound by Custom Rewind in Birmingham, AL. A Shindengen MOSFET R/R. A volt meter. And I use the st1300's battery. The yuasa ytz14s is the same external size as the 6th Gen battery. But more powerful and sealed vs AGM. BUT...I got me a Shorai, and I've never been happier. The yuasa lasted me two+ years. But this Shorai sits at 13v no problem. I started seeing 12.4 in the yuasa. If it was ever cold here, that wouldn't fly.
    My lights are not stock. But tied into the stock harness. This bikes pretty stock in terms of harness, motor and EFI system.
    Since I built it, not a factory, I had a fun time getting it papered up. But Dirt Legal in Oakland Park, FL came through. And I have Vermont tags! I do not, nor ever have lived there!
    I got Michelin Pilot Powers. I use GN4. I use Water/Water Wetter. The clutch cover was done by Sebspeed Customs. And I use 93 octane with Lucas Complete Clean in it at 1 fl oz/gal. Every gallon. My fuel pump is a Quantum Fuel Industries pump. I took each injector apart and cleaned them. New rubbers top to bottom. New FPR. Cleaned out rail. And brand new line. Pressure Gauge. This was the second tank I had. The first, must not have been done properly. Cause a couple studs galled. I do stock procedure, new gasket and a calibrated torque wrench. It was a fifth gen tank too. This ones a sixth gen.
    I can't think of any more. I represent a few California companies. I was a race prep mechanic for an established brand. I also worked at a Honda Superstore. That's where a few of my parts came from. Like that st radiator, came off a cop bike that went down. Nothing was wrong with it, but a replacement was paid for, so I swooped up the rad. I specifically chose the sixth gen subframe to for the smaller battery as well as make more room for the cbr shock reservoir.
    I have 520 chain/sprockets. I wanted to say. Stocks 530 17/43. I started with 520 15/45. Too nasty for average city streets. So I went 15/43. Better. Gobs of acceleration past 90. But it was ringing! A lot of clutch to hold back the beast. So I went 16/43, which is what my boys sixth gen is. This Ratio is my favorite. 520 16/43.
    I did get a Dyno test...102.57 horsepower with 55.73 ft lbs of torque. Done at 15/43. IMG_20220725_114231858_HDR.jpg received_1052441375709510.jpeg IMG_20220702_123811843_HDR.jpg IMG_20220626_100242953_HDR.jpg IMG_20220817_215417736.jpg
    I can't think of anything else.
    I've put under 2000 miles on it. I got my license back just before covid in 2019. My licenses were taken due to seizure risk. Now, I'm in the clear.
    I am in South Florida. And very much miss Southern California (riding). But I am from here, and had to come home.
    So no elevation and no twisties...argh!
    Ride safe my friends. My next viffer will be a 2014... Hurricane and tornado warnings. Hurricane Ian is our threat.
    My YouTube channel is; 1000 Word Adventures
    Thank You

LP Peters and RllwJoe like this.
  2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Hi Eric. Great post!

First things first, have you survived Ian? What type of clean-up are you facing in your area?

Secondly, when you have a chance, start a new post in the Introductions section and introduce yourself. I wouldn't include all of the VFR build info in that post, you can point people to this thread for that, but do include a photo or two.

Thirdly, and regarding this thread.

This would be a great thread of information for anyone who is interested in swapping engines, frames, front ends, sub frames,..... all the items that you have worked on.

Do you have photos and step-by-step instructions that you could share here? Even failed attemps that you tried could be great information to share.

As these bikes age, more and more shade tree mechanics like us are looking for options to keep them on the road.
    And thanks for joining this group of misfits.

3. notoriousERIC

notoriousERIC New Member

United States
    Map
    Ian hit us like a third as bad as anywhere that was bad. So nothing horrible. But some yardwork for sure!
    Introductions, I'll figure that out.
    Step by step...not really. I built it over five years.
    Starting with the motor seeing as how that's the center.

4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Glad to hear it wasn't too devistating in your area.

Introductions is a forum under the heading - GENERAL DISCUSSIONS - on the Forums page. I hope that helps. Loads of fellow VFRW members are looking forward to meeting you.

notoriousERIC likes this.
  5. notoriousERIC

notoriousERIC New Member

United States
    Map
    Done. Thank you, Sir.