Finally, a test ride...

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Texicans, May 20, 2016.

1. Texicans

Texicans New Member

Had a little free time this afternoon so I took a '14 new old stock VFR800 deluxe for a quick test ride. I really enjoyed how smooth the bike felt and that despite being 100lbs heavier than my current Street Triple, it felt nimble. I didn't get carried away with the throttle, but it felt very manageable up to 9K. The vtec sounds cool, but I just really like how buttery smooth the engine revs.

My quick thoughts:

1. More confident with two feet barely tip toeing on the VFR than one foot tip toeing on my STR
    2. Lock to lock made the bike feel much more maneuverable in a lot at low speed.
    3. Plenty of power for me, but doesn't accelerate as quickly as my STR(100lbs weighth disadvantage
    4. Like both the white and red bikes.
    5. Tip in is much slower than my STR(is this mostly rake?)

I don't know where this dealer is on a '14 VFR800 deluxe, but I think I am going to try to work it into my budget. I've been contemplating a new fun car next year and just can't rationalize the large expense when I currently have two vehicles. I think I'd rather put a few more grand into a bike that I'll want to ride more and actually start riding more.

Thought I'd share my thoughts. The question I'd pose is: Std vs Dlx? And new old stock vs used? Is Honda financing any good?

Thanks for reading this far!

2. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Definitely Deluxe. With some of the deep discounts on new ones, and probably not many used ones out there...definitely new. There have been many listings found around the country for under $10k, so you shouldn't have to pay more than that. I've even seen a few listed for under $9k. And you can get an additional 4 years of extended warranty from Honda for under $1000. (mine was only $600). My OTD price in 2014 was over $17k with bags, shifter, ext warranty, and $1700 service plan. After 13k miles, it still puts a smile on my face!

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

Germany
    Map
    I'm with DriverDave, got nearly 13k too
    on my Deluxe. The extras are worth it, get the quick shifter if you can, makes it a lot more fun!

4. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Is this riding position more aggressive or the same as the STR? It is too easy to turn the steering to mud due to body weight resting on the bars. Next time you are on it, squeeze the tank hard with your legs to remove all downward support on your arms. You should then experience the VFR leaning extremely fast.

Otherwise you may want to check the tire pressure. Never know, the dealer may not be paying attention to this.

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

I agree, Honda dealers are well known for not having tire pressure gauges in stock. That riding posture sounds like it came out of a book on 101 ways to do the missionary position.

6. Texicans

Texicans New Member

DDave, thanks for input. I have definitely seen a number of new old stock '14 models at attractive prices. I bought my Triumph that way. Was there a reason for the extended warranty? Any more costly gremlins or just peace of mind? Is the service discount worth the plan? Do you use the center stand?

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Tires will make a difference on tip-in as well ... Honda often puts shit tires on them from the factory.

8. Texicans

Texicans New Member

Thanks Knight. Being short, I am a little forward leaning on any bike. To be fair, the VFR is the first full fairing bike and has most aggressive riding position that I have ridden. I almost bought a NOS '11 F800ST but the price was all wrong. I really like the styling of the VFR over the BMW.

Thanks for the advice.

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Awe yes the VFR is a great bike, kinda has a Dr. Jeckel, Mr. Hyde thing going on. As a first bike I really can not recommend one, can it be one? sure, but??? It's not that its a VFR, more in tune to the size and what it does, if you haven't had much experience with the manners of a road bike not to mention a sport bike on the road, I'd notch down to something a bit more like a VF500 ha-ha good luck finding one, Honda Really should be making them. just for this sort of thing. That said reason behind this is it takes time to get riding all sorted out, VFR is $$ to repair, still one can, it's your money and life. Now this isn't to say that you can't handle the VFR, just not sure it's the right choice for you I don't know you, but I do like your thinking, but??? I've seen way to many get ahead of themselves is all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIfcvC3e3KY

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  10. Texicans

Texicans New Member

RVFR, totally get where you are coming from. The Street Triple is similar... Lazy commuter when needed but aggressive throttle pulls in a second fuel map. Then it get real interesting. Both bikes have similar 105hp/50''ish ft/lbs, but about 100lbs more weight, longer wheel base, softer suspension and more slack front end made the VFR feel much better and better suited to my riding needs. I wish there were more smaller displacement options other than the <600cc parallel twins. In a perfect world, I'd just own both. ☺

11. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I'm only 3 weeks into owning my beautiful, newish 01 Interceptor. So I'm definitely late to the party.

I just figured out Honda chained the cams on the new ones. That's a kind of a bummer. I neither want nor need TC or ALB. The Suspention upgrade would be nice, but an aftermarket shock would be better still. I need my center stand, tho.

Those new ones sure are pretty! In a year or 2 .......

12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

Germany
    Map
    I can understand not bothering with the TC, as it is not "state of the art", however, ABS is fantastic. No matter how good a rider you are or think you are, there comes a time when someone will do something that requires an instantaneous reaction or some animal or thing suddenly appears and you need to stop in the shortest possible distance, that is when ABS will save your ass. You can't beat the sensors and the computer for maximum traction.

13. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Al, I'm 3 weeks into the Interceptor....... 36 years in Motorcycling. So I guess "my time" is still coming.

Small animals, raccoon and smaller, I hit the gas for stability, not the brake. I know a guy that totaled an FZ1, braking for a rabbit. The last time someone pulled out in front of me, my buddy said my rear tire was 4 inches off the ground. So yeah, I think I'm good enough to do without ABS. Oddly enough, there is one time I wish I had TC. I've since learned my lesson.

Reguardless of what I think or want, new bikes will have more electronic aids. Kieth Code and s lot of really smart men, advocate them.

14. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    As for the warranty, going from 1 year to 5 years for only $600 was a no brainer for me...even if I never have to use it, I won't regret getting it. As for the service plan, it is 3 years/unlimited miles and includes 1 set of tires and a battery. It covers every single service (my dealer even covers extra oil changes so I don't have to use the manual's long 8k mile interval...I do it every 4k miles). I put a lot of miles on my bikes, so I knew going in that I would hit the 16k mile valve service before 3 years was up. That alone almost pays for the plan. FWIW, it already paid for itself by the time I got the 12k mile service done. If the cost of the plan had been over $2000, it would've taken a bit more convincing to get it.

I always use the center stand in the garage, and often use the heated grips in the cold months.

BTW, I don't commute on my bike, it is strictly for pleasure riding...mostly high speed canyon carving on the weekends.

15. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    New VFR's don't come with real twisty tires. Put on a good handling ST tire and they're a completely different bike. I found that out today.

16. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Dave, if your thermostat ever gets stuck open, you will have gotten your money's worth!

17. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Lol, few bikes are as nimble and easy to turn as the street triple, let alone a sport-tourer like the VFR. Apples and Oranges.