First good wreck in 4 years...

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by kevito, Jan 30, 2011.

1. kevito

kevito New Member

Victoria, TX (Most of the time), Silver Spring, MD
    Let me start with saying that gear saves.

I had a pretty decent low-speed wreck last night. I was riding a pre-ridden route (to check for unexpected things) before trying to take it at a higher speed. At the final u-turn on the highway, I approached it at 20-30mph, only to see a gigantic swath of gravel covering the entire divided highway bridge-road. I figured out now that the road likes to surprise you, even if you prepare in advance... I slowed down, but it was already too late and I braced. Bike started to go over, back tire came out and the bike fell on me... we danced for about 3 feet and then stopped short of the ditch.

Ruined the left hand of my gloves, scratched up my riding pants, and wore a hole in my shoe (Nike, no riding shoes today)... bike faring is cracked and scratched up, left radiator fan is damaged, handlebar end is ruined, clutch handle is scratched, and kickstand is now shiny. All-in-all not so bad. No bulbs broke and bike still works fine. I went out and continued to ride all night after a quick check of the bike and didn't seem to have any problems.

Wall of shame pictures to come.

I'm not planning on fixing it up until I finish a few more modifications to the bike, so let the damage be battle scaring to remind me of how quickly things can change...

Cheers all,

Kev

I searched this to see if there were some answers to my questions and thus I didn't need to ask:
    Bike Damage from Wreck: Advice Needed

2. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Glad you're alright. The minor accidents are a price worth paying. You hope that they don't happen, but if that's as bad as gets, then so be it.

3. kevito

kevito New Member

Pictures of shame... pic1.jpg pic2.jpg

4. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    awwl helll those will buff right on out....... plus a little bit of the touch up paint...it will all be good..

Glad the bike....I mean your are alright

5. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Glad your ok. Yes shit happens! Doesn't look to bad and you don't have to work on it to get back on the road. Seems like you came out OK. ATGATT for sure, you never know.

6. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Sucks to hear, but not too bad from what I can see. Best part is that you learned some lessons the not so hard way and you're still here talking about them. If you ain't been down, you ain't been ridin I say, now you're in the club!!

7. Comicus

Comicus New Member

United States
    Map
    That sucks. I'm glad you're ok! I had a 63 year old man dump his gold wing in front of me yesterday. I came out of a curve and saw a fence smashed and the old guy and his wing in the ditch. I was the first to get to him. He didn't seem physically hurt but he was pretty out of it. Fire rescue was there in 5 minutes. His wing was trashed but as I was leaving I saw he was standing up. I think he was just in shock. Shit happens. He said he had been riding 40+ years and this was the first time he had been down.

8. kevito

kevito New Member

Definately not a good age to experience the joys of being dumped...

9. Comicus

Comicus New Member

United States
    Map
    I know the day after I totalled my rc51 I felt like I got the sh@t beat out of me. And I'm only 30. I can't imagine what he feels like today.

10. omnivious

omnivious New Member

Yea, the thing about a wreck is that you don't really feel it until the next day due to all the chemicals that your brain releases like adreneline and endorphine, when your brain stops, your body realizes your body's damage. Even if you don't have any physical damage, your body tensing up will make your muscles hurt for some time...

11. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    and here I got excited thinking Nike started making proper motorcycle footwear.

12. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    We interrupt this thread for the following special announcement:

Gotta be careful with Nike, especially in England. It seems that buying fake nikes, even accidentally, may get you sued.

Da CLIK!

We now return you to your original programming...