First time owner of a 2004 after testing it back in 2005 :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by fz6yamaha, Oct 9, 2019.

1. fz6yamaha

fz6yamaha New Member

United States
    Hi all, nice to be here, see a lot of activity and passion about the VFR,
    just wanted to introduce myself, I am Luis and the new to me owner of a 2004 VFR..I tested this bike, well I believe it was an 05 or 06 with ABS back in the day and really liked it, it was a bit on the heavy side for me 14 years ago, but now feels alright..I loved the ABS back then but could not get one with it this time. I was able to get this one for 2k from a gentleman that was about to purchase his first house and needed to sell this bike.

Bike looks and rides ok, still the steering feels heavier to me compared to other bikes, but I am coming from lighter bikes, this new baby has 30k on the odo and it feels great, bought it to tour around and visit a friend up in Toronto, it is about 900miles there from where I am at....but as with every bike, you get it and start getting goodies for it, bought a nice set of givi bags that are almost new for 200, a rack set for like 90, changed the oil, coolant, chain, and off course after riding it, I am on the helibars or something more comfortable, this baby seating position felt a bit like my track bike, I thought the seating will be a bit more like a SV650 I had before, but when you are excited about the bike and buying it from a good price is kind of like srewww it, I will fix it later :)

Now I want to get some Apex clip ons 3" rise, and I believe that's about it that I need/want for now, but interesting enough, when I bought it, it is "black", well at least that is what it says on the title, but it is more like Graphite dark grey to me, long story short, it is a 15 year old bike and the paint looked decent, couple of scratches here and there, not from falls but regular use, some spots on the tail is where the clear coat wants to leave town, but around the side fairings I spotted some red'ish tiny spots of paint, and I asked the gentleman "Hey, Did she wanted to be red at some point, or did you have the fairings replaced?" which he said "no that I know" but he only had it for 2 years, no accident history, no damage anywhere and the bike does ride great, BUUUT... while I was cleaning and playing around, I saw the color code under the seat, and the code on it was R157, which of course I turned to the internet, here, there and found that is italian Red, so, mmmmmmmm, the title says black, the sticker says red, the fairings looked like they were painted and have some traces of red, I am just wondering if the title was changed from red to black, or whats the story....

Since I wanted to painted and have it better looking, I am just wondering which route to go fully red, which I loved, or fully Dark Graphite Black grey or whatever the color for 2004 was called :)....but none the less i was a bit odd.

Another interesting thing on this bike is that vtec thing, I recalled it from 05 but did not quite remember it well, we did some riding this past weekend over the GA mountains and the blue ridge area and I was, what that heck, leave me aloneeeee :), it is just different getting use to it, but at the end of the day was ok. Is the vtec technology still on the newer VFRs?, it is just annoying and probably unnecessary in my opinion, but that's just me, the annoyance lasts for a split second so I can live happy ever after :)

I tried a Councourse Kawasaki before, and that thing was just too big for me, well at least it fell that way, it was not hard to control and it rides nice, but the bars were a bit out there, tall bars but this bike was so large that I could just reach the bars stretched out, not the best position for me to tour around, thats when it clicked, heyy what about that bike I liked back in 05 and the search started :)

Glad to be part of the forum, hope to share a bit of knowledge here and there while having fun..I will keep you post it if this new little ponny makes it to Canada from the South East :)

I apologize for the long introduction, promise I do not extend to long or chat this much :)

Thank you all for your tips and knowledge, I have been able to get a lot of info as soon as I started this journey with this bike.

2. fz6yamaha

fz6yamaha New Member

United States
    20191009_162313.jpg 20191009_162325.jpg

I forgot than an image says more than a 1000 words :)

Thumbs and Samuel like this.
  3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Hey Luis, welcome to VFRW! I think you got a great deal for the $$. Did it come with the Corbin seat and the ZG windscreen? Color looks good to me, however, the red ones are the fastest by far.

4. fz6yamaha

fz6yamaha New Member

United States
    Hi RllwJoe thanks, yeap, corbin seat and all, after further discovery phase, yes she was red, and the day when I decide to paint it again, she is going back to fastest red :).
    Today I just changed the oil and the filter and boy, did those engineer at honda had a great time trying to decide how to screw us up with the filter placement, after fuzzing around a bit I decided to stab the bastard with a screw driver and remove it, it worked out ok.

Now I am up with the coolant and some clean up. The price worked out, 2k there, and now buying add-ons little by little, at the end I believe I will come to 2800 when I am done, want to replace the chain, the clipons and the rear tire do not like too much the way it looks, guy said he had 2500miles on it, but that thing is almost flat in the middle, just gonna get a dunlop roadsmart 3 and see how long would that one last.

RllwJoe likes this.
  5. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Flat in the middle is best - gives you both sides to wear out...

6. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Agreed! Just make sure that you only ride on the sides of the tire.