First Track Day With NESBA

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Bubba Zanetti, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    KIT_7449em.jpg

KIT_8003em.jpg

KIT_7416em.jpg

Everyone:

Did my first track day with NESBA at Summit Point, WV this past Saturday. AWESOME is all I can say:biggrin:

I could go on and on about, but instead I wanted to offer the idea and invite to join NESBA and some of us in the area try and meet next year at the track. God willing, my good friend Jeff and I will be back next year anyway. Check out what NESBA has to offer at www.nesba.com

Everyone should do at least one track day on their life. And a tidbit for you 6th gen guys and gals. A guy named MArk kept passing me on the straights on his 6th gen LOL!

Check out some pics!

BZ

2. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Good for you!

I've been using this same line since I started about 2.5 years ago now. You learn more in 2 hours on a track than you will in 60,000 on the street.

I had my 6th gen on the track for the first time last month at Carolina Motorsports Park (Absolute Cycle Performance event). I'd have to say the bike did OK at best. This was my first time on track since January so the rider was as bad as the bike was :biggrin:

Congrats again!

3. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Two4one:

You do learn more in two hours than a person can possibly imagine. Everything I have read about high performance riding came true at the track. The Lee Parks Total Control School helped me too.

Back when I read Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist series much of what the books cover really don't apply to the street environment. But when you get on a track the advice and exercises he recommends really come alive. When I got home I started to re-read them and I was like man that makes so much more sence now than before, and it is amazing the bad habits you shed on the street, well they come back when the speeds get increased, but you focus on what to do correctly because everyone is going the same way, you can see all the way through the turns and the track is totally designed for high speed. It is a total win-win situation as a learning environment.

The 97 performed great, but I am with you, the rider can hold the bike back LOL! The saying "In motorcycle riding its 80% the rider, 20% the bike" I always new that to be true! But when you see it, the line "Its all between the ears" really comes out. I witnessed that in every group that ran. A racer named Brian was next to us in the pits. He rode an SV650 with upgrades only to his suspension and brakes. He rode in the advanced class with tons of liter bikes. Now he wasn't in front, but he was always in the middle of the pack! No engine modifications. There was a kid on a Suzuki GS500 and he was passing many of us in Beginner group! And my friend Jeff was on his Ninja 250 and he was making so much time up in the turns he was keeping up with riders on much more powerful bikes.

Everyone, again if you really want to learn how to start riding...get some training and get into a good track day orginization.

Thanks Two!

BZ

4. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep it's definitely all the rider. I myself went from B to A relatively quick, 12 days I think on my 1997 F3 with suspension upgrades and brakes also. I'll only be going to the track 1-3 times max a year anymore just to keep my skills relatively fresh. I could make the VFR go alot faster if I dedicated myself to it but I'm kind of at the "been there done that" stage. I don't feel I have to prove anything to myself which was a major motivator to me previously. Now I just go for fun not expecting to turn the world upside down (and subsequently brake more ribs, shoulder blade, tear a rotator cuff again, etc) :biggrin:

I could see and feel the immediate positive impact from my one trip the track just last month. My lines are so much crisper, my braking is less frequent and/or harsh and I'm looking where I'm going instead of every pebble right in front of me. Bad habits like that tend to creep their way back into your riding when you haven't been on the track in a long time. The benefits to the track are numerous if approached correctly for street use.

Of course there's always the argument of if you CAN go faster you WILL go faster so are you really better off? Once again the answer is the rider. That's the only person who controls the throttle. It's difficult to turn off the track mentality when you're back on the street after several successful track days full of learning with increased skills and confidence.

I know I'm rambling but seriously I hope the permagrin you have stays with you for a long time. I remember the enthusiasm I had when I first started. Keep it up. Next thing you know you'll be passing someone on the outside with the rear wheel smoking :wave:

PS, one word of caution. I realize you already have the leather suit, etc. If you're going to continue to do track days and if you don't already have it, get yourself a back protector, rib protector and some compression shorts to wear. I could have saved myself a lot of pain if I had ALL the gear from the get go. I had a thigh hematoma that hurt for months. With a pair of compression shorts, I'm sure I would have made out much better.

You can get all this stuff from Bohn: http://www.actionstation.com/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    241:

Thanks for the gear site. I already have the back protector on the Chistmas list! Actually my suit is a full textile suit. I want a leather one too. I am saving my nickels to get the additional gear.

So you still do NESBA track days? Where is Shoemaker, PA? It would be cool to meet up at Summit Point next year.
    Just a thought.

Part of my permagrin is being a newbie again. I love to learn and the track really delivered in the learning department. As an MSF Coach its alot of fun coaching newbies, but I was getting to the point I want to learn more in motorcycling. So the training began with a Lee Parks Total Control School, which certainly helped me at the track. So the plan, God Willing, is do a few more track days next year then attend Keith Codes cornering school and then go from there!

I don't forsee me picking up the pace on the street. Maybe in some of the twisties in Southern PA, but not by much. The street can't offer me what the track can LOL!

Thanks again!

BZ

6. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Not a problem! Hopefully Santa is good to you.

I haven't ridden a NESBA event this year. I probably will at some point next season. Summit Jefferson was like my home track. I got all my bumps there. For some reason, that track really did it for me and the ol' F3. I won't be riding the track again until the end of January in Florida but I'm already looking forward to it.

I've really grown to love the "open" track format which NESBA doesn't do. Basically these are events with no groups and no riding limits. You can ride as long as you want with whoever you want. Since I have been hit twice on the track by other people, I love being able to pick and choose my track time based on how many riders are on at one time and also who's riding. Not to mention, I started to realize with 20 minute sessions, everyone is in such a rush to get as many laps as they can in 20 minutes which sometimes leads to bad decisions, especially before my experience riding in the "A" group. I know it's rare but being hit twice doesn't help sway my opinion :biggrin:

Shoemakersville is just north of Reading, PA. Not too far from you. There are some great roads up this way! I'm leading a group of 6 today through Berks, Schuykill, Luzern, Carbon and Lehigh counties. A couple of track buddies with new $20,000 Ducati's will be with. I'll feel like Ugly Betty, haha!

Take it easy!

7. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    bubba:

Good to see some scuff marks on the knee pucks. Jeff goes from busa - to - 250 ninja? that is a hoot. Glad it worked out for you with the weather.

Prosit,
    Paul

8. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hey 241:

What happened with the crashes?

Paul:

What's up man? Yeah, Jeff took the 250 because the track we were on has some tight turns and other track riders said the 250 will be more fun. You want to join us nect year?

BZ

9. Docbrock

Docbrock New Member

my VFR got me hooked on track days... [​IMG]

now I'm racing in CCS and WERA on a '06 R6

[​IMG]

10. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Doc:

The flat black and laser pipes are smokin on your VFR! I love that look.

Very cool on the racing, how long have you been doing it?

Yeah, the track day thing is in my blood now and I am excited for this coming season. I live in Delaware and New Jersey will have a track active and its only 2 hours away!!!!:biggrin:

BZ

11. betarace

betarace New Member

Kickin it Old Skool

'92

[​IMG]

12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hey betarace!

I've seen you on the NESBA message board! Welcome to VFRWorld. How long have you had your 3rd gen?

Will you be doing any track days this year?

BZ

13. olivino

olivino New Member

I'm also a newbie to track days and decided to sign up for the Kevin Schwantz Suzuki School this coming March. After that I hope to join a track days club. One question, do most of you ride to the track or trailer the bike? I think it would be difficult to do some required mods and ride to the track.

14. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Olivino:

You will want to trailer your bike or put it in the back of a truck with a ramp and take it that way. Unless you live 15 minutes from the track!

Have fun man!

BZ

15. betarace

betarace New Member

Nesba

Bubba,

I have owned the VFR since new (it's a '92 bought new in 94 off the showroom floor as a leftover) and it has ... 7,983 miles as of today.

others,

As far as track clubs etc, the best is http://www.nesba.com you can basically bring a street bike (minus mirrors and with lights taped up) and go for it. Membership drive is on now, you can get a $25 discount if you sign up by the end of Jan I believe.

As far as trailers etc, you can rent one for $25 or so a day from http://www.eaglerider.com (in most big cities). I got a $500 deal from tractor supply on a 5X7 trailer, and a condor stand permanently mounted.

16. betarace

betarace New Member

right now my sched with NESBA is:
    5/24/2008 Road Atlanta
    5/25/2008 Road Atlanta
    8/25/2008 NJMP-Thunderbolt
    9/13/2008 Summit - Main
    10/19/2008 VIR - Patriot
    10/20/2008 VIR – Full Course

the VFR will be at the Road Atlanta dates and prob Summit main if anyone wants to meet/greet. The other dates will sadly be Ducati ridden ;)

17. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    betarace:

We are going to miss each other.

I have not signed up for my dates yet, but 9/15 for NJMP-Thunderbolt

9/6 Summit Jefferson
    10/27 Summit Jefferson

These are my tentative dates anyway!

Hope to ride with you sometime.

BZ

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  18. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry I've been out of the loop on this thread.

Anyone sign up for dates in '08? I'm looking at the Summit Main or VIR in March. Not sure. I'm closing on a house February 29th so I'm not certain I'll be completely settled.

19. betarace

betarace New Member

when your dates finalize (and not to close to the event as they sell out) drop me a note, will come up and run w/ you.

20. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map

I should be finalizing them at least 3 months before hand!

I will definately keep you in the loop.

BZ