Flashing ABS light 2003 VFR ABS

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by arichins, May 16, 2009.

1. arichins

arichins New Member

Map
    Anyone know what it means if you have a flashing red ABS light?

2. porcupine73

porcupine73 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hm not sure about the flashing. I looked at the '07 owners manual and it says if there is an issue, it will come on and stay on. It does imply something about it can come on if the wheels are turned when it is on the centerstand with the key on.

3. arichins

arichins New Member

Map
    hmm ok, I was riding last week when my bike broke down. The ABS starting flashing. My battery was being drained (charging system was broken) so it was not getting recharged. Also my temp was rising and got to 230 before I shut the bike down.

4. arichins

arichins New Member

Map
    This is what I found in the 2002 Service Manual.
    "
    - When the ABS control unit detects a problem, it stops the ABS function and switches back to conventional brake operation, ant the ABS indicator blinks or stays on.

- When the Motorcyle is running and the front wheel leaves the ground for a long time (wheelies), the ABS control unit detects difference of the front and rear wheel speeds and the indicator blinks.
    "

"
    When the ABS is normal, the ABS indicator goes off just after a road speed ok 10 km/h (6mph) indicating that the diagnosis is completed.
    If a problem is detected, the ABS indicator blinks or comes on and stayps on to notify the rider of the problem. The self-diagnosis is also made while the motorcycle is running, and the indicator blinks when a problem is detected.
    When the indicator blinks, the cause of the problem can be identified by retrieving the problem code following the specified retrieval procedure.
    "

5. arichins

arichins New Member

Map
    I just retrieved my last two error codes they were both 14 blinks, so error code 14 (Power Circuit).

Problem Code 14: Power circuit inspection

6. f7jl

f7jl New Member

Map
    After a front tire change my sensor ring was cracked on my 02. This caused th ABS light to flash continously when I hit 140 km/h. To reset I stopped the bike and restarted. I just drove at a normal pace and all was fine. My solution was to replace my sensor ring. The problem with my 2002 is that it was a cast ring and almost 200 bucks. The newer models have a $38.00 sensor ring. Not sure if it wud work on mine.