Flooded cylinder

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by RotaryRocketeer, Oct 28, 2014.

1. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

'86 700

So the bike had been acting up just a little, starving for fuel and a little down on power and then all of a sudden it got worse. Started running like shit and the exhaust note sounded "muffled." Sounded like I only had power on 3 cylinders. I took the airbox lid off expecting to find something stuck in it, but nothing was there. Proceeded to remove the airbox completely and found that the carb on the right front cylinder (# 2 I think) was full of fuel, so much that there was fuel on top of the throttle plate. I removed the carbs and compared the float level with the one next to it and they were spot-on. Would it be correct to assume that the float needle isn't seating properly? I'm admittedly no expert when it comes to carburetors, but I'm learning. Any and all suggestions appreciated, pertaining to the subject of course. I don't think frame sliders and horse hair boots are gonna fix this one.

2. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    It could be the float tang that the needle hangs on. That whole arm with the tang has to be adjusted to the carb body so the needle only comes off the seat so far. If it comes off to far the needle can angle and jam in the seat tube. By bending the whole area were the tang is you can adjust the angle and distance the needle comes out or off the seat. Hard to explain but if you see the extreme and the needle sticks you get a good picture of what may be happening.

Remember to adjust the float so it just pushes on the little spring load rod on the needle.

3. RotaryRocketeer

Good suggestions, I'll have to wait until after work to put them to use but I really appreciate the insight.

4. RotaryRocketeer

Well I checked out the float, float needle, and seat. They all seem to be fine. I compared them to the carb next to the problem child and all seems well in relation. Haven't found the culprit yet. If only there were some old guy who loved squirrels that knew a ton about 2nd gens to come along and help me out..... Or anyone really, I need more suggestions!

5. NormK

NormK New Member

Ok I'm no squirrel but this would be my way of seeing what was going on. remove the tank and set up a fuel bottle, air cleaner off and give it a run, might have some chance to see what might be happening, should be able to see if the float is shutting the fuel off or not. worth a try

6. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    Check your oil level--you may have added a bunch of fuel to the crankcase if the float needle is not shutting off the flow when full. i've seen cases so full it was hydrolocked and the starter couldn't budge it.

7. RotaryRocketeer

NormK:

Good idea with the fuel bottle, that should let me see exactly what's happening.

Kennybobby:

No fuel in the crankcase. That was actually the first thing I checked when this all started. Forgot to mention that in my original post.

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

Oh, Geezus, i just saw this, sorry if i'm late. With the box top open and the filter out, you have a bad float needle if you see liquid fuel bubbling up under the slide needle. Try simply replacing the one needle (with or without the brass seat), a Kehin K-1 to correct that problem. That plug must be black aNd wet, right ? You can do it, but with any new needle be sure to check float setting.

Also clean the seat with a que-tip laden with metal polish.