flooding

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Guest, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

:( I have an 1998 VFR 800. My first bike was a 1987 vfr700. I love them. I got this bike and a VTR1000 for 5500 for both. When I start the VFR it floods 8 out of ten times. I check the back plugs and they are soaking wet. Do i need to start the motor diffferent since it is a FI motor. Or do I go ahead and choak it everytime. Help!!!!!!!!

2. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

I have a 98 and have never had this problem. When I start the bike, I move the lever to full and thumb the starter switch. I do not give it any gas at all. Within seconds the engine will start to speed up and I start moving the lever back towards the off position.

When you hit the starter, does the engine sound like it is spinning fast enough or is it kind of chugging like the battery might be a bit weak?

If the bike is in fact flooded, I have been told that the solution is to hold the throttle wide open and thumb the starter. Be ready to let off the throttle if it starts so you don't over rev the engine. This seems counter intuitive to me, I would think it would flood worse, but maybe it has something to do with the FI.

For questions of this sort, you might have better luck hitting the main VFR mailing list. There are tons of techno geeks that know everything there is to know about VFR's. See the LINKS section of my website for the address. Good luck.

Adios,

3. Jake

Jake New Member

Sounds like it could be an injector stuck open...

My '98 fires right up with the choke applied and a quick twist of the throttle even when it's below zero. I start it and let it warm up every so often during the winter to keep the battery charged...and to listen to it. ;-)

HTH,
    Jake