F'n HOT weather gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RedMenace, Apr 14, 2010.

1. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I have a problem that is nice to have. I have been offered a job overseas. Two, in fact, in which I am the finalist. One is in Vietnam and one is in Qatar. I plan to buy a cycle and commute in both countries. Since I sold my car in anticipation of the move, I have money to buy a new set of gear. All of my current riding gear is focused on staying warm in cold weather. The Vietnam is 95 degrees and 90% humidity for 7 months of the year. Qatar is +100 AVERAGE in J,J,Aug. Does anyone have direct experience with riding in that kinda heat? Long day at a Georgia track? I am familiar with perforated leather, but I don't want to be scooting around in the 3rd world with 3000 USD in flashy leathers. The best strategy for Americans to avoid animosity overseas is to blend in.

Is there any jacket and pants and boots that are focused on staying cool? Should I just get off the boat and look at what the locals wear? Finding, paying for, and shipping an item to these countries can be difficult.

2. cogs69

cogs69 New Member

Here in the houston area, we have 90+ all summer with 100% humidity. We see 100+ on many days as well. I wear the joe rocket honda mesh jacket without the liner. Granted, nothing you wear is going to be cool sitting still, but it is comfortable moving. I don't sweat or get hot when moving. Good luck.

3. humvee

humvee New Member

I wear a Cortech Air Series 2 jacket out here in Phoenix. I was just in Qatar last August and yes, it's hot. And windy. And HUMID. Vietnam will also test you're ability to counter swamp-ass.
    You make a good point of blending in. Unfortunately you'll find that a lot of locals in both countries don't take PPE quite as seriously as we do. So unless you buy a scooter and ride around in sandals, you're going to stand out.
    Good luck and be safe in your travels.

4. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    I've ridden a few 100+ days in my TourMaster Flex Air pants and enojyed the ride with the two liners out and the outer covers unzipped to expose the mesh. It was quite nice while moving but when at a standstill was a little warm. Gold Bond will counter any amount of swamp ass you will ever come across.

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Vietnam.......Damn I want to go.....
    Any way it is hot and humit there. No one wear any protection there. My suggestion for you is mes jacket or better yet get the body arm. from Icon or Alpinestar. These will allow air to cool you down.

6. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Just a thought and I certainly don't want to insult, but wouldn't any type of gear along with a sportbike be flashy. Mesh jackets more often than not are more gaudy in appearence than leather, not to say that leather can't be gaudy too. I would also think that a mesh jacket with all of it's labeling, Joe Rocket especially, may come off as more hip and desireable to a young thug, compared to say a simple perforated black leather. In my experience perforated leather breaths better than mesh anyway, at least mesh that has a modicum of protection.

7. Comicus

Comicus New Member

United States
    Map
    My guess would be that the locals don't wear any gear. Its hard to ATGATT when your trying to make enough money to survive. Anyway, completely off subject, do you watch Top Gear (it's the great's show in the WORLD. It comes on BBC America) because they do an episode where they ride scooters across Vietnam. It's a must see if you might be moving to Vietnam.

8. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Trust me when I tell you, you WILL NOT blend in, period, end of story. There is no way on earth for an American to "fit in" in Qatar. I've been there more times than I care to mention.

That being said, if you're looking for a set of gear that isn't flashy in an attempt to blend in, check out the Olympia stuff. Most of it is extremely plain. I would also mention that I've never seen a local wearing gear on a bike in the middle east. Most bikes are 250cc or smaller commuter bikes.
    Olympia Moto Sports - Home Page

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

9. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    I live in 95 deg, 95% hum area three months of the year. I wear a mesh jacket, draggin jeans, Sidi air boots, and light natural color deer skin gloves. The light color gloves don't have perforations and work better than black perforated leather gloves.

I took a trip to Tulsa last July and experienced 100+ deg temps for hours at a time. The gear worked fine, I had to make more frequent stops to hydrate.

Ron

10. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    All great responses- (I just got e-mailed notified today of a response. RunnerHiker must have juice) In the Vietnam they have restrictions on licensing and even selling any cycle over 400cc. I would put my VFR into storage, and buy a scoot over there. Bohn body armor under loose jeans and a shirt is my first idea. The armor pressed close to the skin should be a bitch, but may be the best option. I've heard the most common accident with the crush and the chaos is catching a footpeg from an oncoming cycle. Shin and boots need to be armored.

In Qatar, there is a western cycle riding community and the roads are supposed to be up to American standards. I hope to get a KLR 650 used (maybe a smaller 450 dirt), and maybe I can afford streets and knobbys on different rims. I've never really thought mesh jackets looked stout enough, but found a good review of a Vanson product. Just like my old gear, I'll buy something that looks promising, give it a shot, and then don't be afraid to move on if it doesn't work. I'll check out a couple of the brands mentions above.
    Thanks All!

11. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the Bohn armor pants and Id swear by them...but. If you stop for a while to enjoy the scenery or for lunch or dinner, I wont say they are unconfortable but you do notice it. If you are rideing and stopping for gas, you hardly know they are there. Good Luck!

12. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Joe Rocket ballistic mesh jacket is great during summer time.

13. vf750j

vf750j New Member

A great warm weather jacket is the "Fastlane" jacket by Bates Leathers. It has some protection in the liner and also keeps you cool.....looks cool too.. Check it out at this link:

Bates Custom Leathers