For you car guys: Opinion on toy for retirement. 87 GN VS C4 ZR-1

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by VFRkat, Jan 31, 2014.

?

Which would you choose?

1. 1987 Buick Grand National

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. C4 Corvette ZR-1

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

Hey all.

I've struggled with this one for years now. I really want to pick up a "toy" car for after I retire from the military. There are a few that really stick out in my head from my teenage years that I have always wanted to own, but are yet affordable. For instance, I would love a 25th Anniversary Lamborghini Countach or 1970 LS6 Chevelle, but don't plan on winning the lottery to be able to afford either.

Between the GN and ZR-1, which would you choose? Both to me have their merits: The Grand National is so sinister. It's understated enough that not everyone has a clue what it is, unless you're a car guy. I like that. The ZR-1 has such a history too, but visually it's not all that different to the average Joe than a normal C4 generation Vette. Which, lets be honest doesn't really catch anyones eye on the street. I would recognize the ZR-1 stature, but that's me. Initial cost is pretty close from what I've seen. Both can be found clean for around the $20,000 mark. As for cost of ownership is concerned I think the Buick would be far less expensive to maintain that the ZR-1. By todays standards I'm not sure either is really considered "fast" anymore. I think both in the 13's 1/4 mile times.

What do you guys think? If you have an opinion please share your reasons for choosing. I want all the information I can. I still have a few years. :)

87GN.jpg
    92_Corvette_ZR1.jpg

2. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I think I would have to go with the Buick on this one. Not as many around and deceivingly quick with the aftermarket parts options available to make quicker and handle better.

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I would go with which ever on has the most appeal to you and the best feel driving it. I had a few sports car when I was young and the one that sticks in my mind & heart was a 1967 Italian Torino with a Hi-Performance Ford 289 (5 main bearing, solid lifters, hot cam, Holley 4B, and Mallory dual point).
    View attachment 25449
    Mine was British Racing Green.

4. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    Grand National! Way more Exclusive

Ride Red!

5. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Kat

Personally I would have to go with the Grand National as they just look a bit meaner, and it certainly can't hurt to have a car with 4 seats versus 2.

I have a customer in town here who brings me his Grand National once a year it seems to get the car shined up a bit and to get any winter snow shoveling INCI-dents removed. He has replaced the stock exhaust with a larger diameter cat-back Magnaflow exhaust and he has done a little bit of extra work to the motor and has added about 100 hp and 120 lb/ft of torque. We talked about the car for a bit when he returned to pick it up the first time I repaired and we got into a bit of a conversation about the car and he has owned it since the car was 4 years old. He also wanted a Vette at the time but thought the GN would be more practical since he had a family and he says he absolutely loves the car. Apparently he has taken it to a few drag races and it does the quarter mile in the high 11's.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Go with an old pimped out El Camino SS instead LOL!!

My cousin used to own a Grand National and that thing was a beast!! I still remember the looks on people's faces who owned sports cars and didn't have a clue what just happened to them right after we left them in the dust. Not really my style in terms of appearance but it was a pretty damn cool car. I wonder what the parts availability is like for a car that is that old.

Rollin

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Sounds like the GN is the car of choice for you!
    Guarantee you my "sports car" would not be left in the dust! Same exact performance as a 289 Cobra (not Mustang)!

8. reverus

reverus New Member

Map
    both are cool, the c4 is sexier, the gn is faster, more rare but also much more expencive both in parts and purchase.

9. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

Thanks for the comments. Wow, the GN is really proving to clean up here!

I have never driven either car, just seen many in person and talked to a few owners. I figured the ZR1 would be more expensive to own than the GN. The LT5 engine is designed by Lotus, and one of not many GM 32 valve, dual overhead cam V8s. The technology behind it was pretty advanced for the time. The suspension is all adjustable. And the rear tires alone are 315's! Just replacing the tires would cost a fortune. At least with the GN the suspension is pretty run of the mill, the tires are a fairly common size and other than the turbo, it's a 3.8 V6.

10. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I know some dudes in Quatar that would trade you a Countach for your wife and daughters. If they are blonde they might even toss in a camel of two.

11. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

^^^ What about just my ex-wife? I can try to ship her over there ;)

12. Badbilly

United States
    Just depends maybe a video first. One guy tried that and all he got was a Yugo and some camel droppings.. ;)

13. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Such an ill way to speak of your ex wife Kat, I'm shocked................... Tell you what, save you the hassle and we'll send them my ex instead. LOL

I have driven both of the cars you have mentioned and would have to agree that in a drag race they would likely both be very close in performance though the Corvette would likely win once the road turns twisty. Parts would be easier to find for the Vette I think since there were a few more of those made I imagine. With the upgrades available in the aftermarket in the way of suspension components these days, I'm sure you get the the GN to handle just as good as the Vette. To all the Corvette purists who read this, you may now commence to curse my name. If there is one thing that I think the GN suffers from it would be the amount of time it takes for the turbo to spool up and produce boost. ONCE it gets up to speed though, well, that is a different story all together.......

14. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

Lol, too funny.

Here are the production numbers:

Total C4 ZR-1 Production = 6,939
    1990 Corvette ZR-1 Production = 3049
    1991 Corvette ZR-1 Production = 2044
    1992 Corvette ZR-1 Production = 502
    1993 Corvette ZR-1 Production = 448
    1994 Corvette ZR-1 Production = 448
    1995 Corvette ZR-1 Production = 448

1987 Grand National
    20,193 Produced

1986 Grand National
    5,512 Produced

Not many realize how rare the ZR-1s are from that era. A pretty special Vette in many aspects. I'm pretty sure either could be boosted to be extremely quick. There was an '87 GN back where I used to live that the owner had treated to some work at Texas Turbo. He was running 10's.

I need to drive these things!

15. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    My first car was a Monte Carlo and just today I saw a Regal with what looked like Mickey Thompson oversize tires on it. I love the look of those large American coupes. Even though they don't handle well, it seems timeless to me. Whereas the vette looked SO dated even when it came out.

There's a grand national in my hood... And my point here is I always notice those cars and particularly GNs.

Big doors, big seats, sleeper looks AND a back seat AND a trunk. No brainer to me and I'm surprised to see so many other fans here!! Thought it was just my own nostalgia!!

However truth be told Id love a Toronado... Even if it is FWD
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

Yeah, every time I see a Grand National it brings me back too. The back seat and trunk would be nice.

That looks like Leno's Toronado. That thing is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Badbilly

United States
    I guess with all this car talk, nobody wants to talk about camels. Well, here is one you maybe weren't aware of. There was an ad that ran for years for Camel cigarettes. It became a slogan. To quote: "I'd walk a mile for a Camel".

This actually was not written by one of the NYC advertising agencies. It is French and was originally a slogan of the French Foreign Legion. ...and ya'll wonder why they have funky cars..

18. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I thought he was being quite respectful of an ex wife. Kinda like how I speak of my ex after she flew off on her broom.

Get the Buick. It screams of attitude and after leaving our Military, you cannot tell me you haven't developed a bit of that. Thank you for your service BTW. If you were out my way, you would be enjoying a few on me for sure.

The pimply faced zit covered little teenaged boys and girls will google all over the vette, but it will be the Buick that gains you the approving respectful glimpses and nods from those who count.

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    A dreadful thought just came over me. That Buick is not from the Montreal Auctions with a cheap pain job on it is it?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  20. Badbilly

United States
    Both those FWD cages were muscle car era rides and were wallowers with way too many ponies. 15 grand will get one into shape so it handles. Then again with some polish and paint ,they look great in a trophy case.

Never let it be said that we are subjective aboot cars and bikes.