Fork conversion to 7th Gen forks?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by sfdownhill, Oct 4, 2016.

1. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Has anyone tried using VFR1200 triples and forks for their Gen 3-6 front end conversion?

Does anyone know of any significant reasons not to use VFR1200 forks and triples on earlier gen VFRs?

JZH wisely observed "Most people would say that if no one has ever done a particular VFR mod, there's probably a reason. Oh. Yeah, that does make sense..."

In searching and following numerous fork upgrade / fork conversion threads on this and several other websites, it strikes me as odd that no one has mentioned or posted a conversion of earlier Gen VFRs to 7th Gen USD triple clamps and forks. I did see one person [JZH, as quoted above] use VFR1200 triples on his Gen 3, though he did not specify whether he intends to use VFR1200 forks as well.

JZH stated pros and cons of VFR triples pretty clearly:

Pros:
    - sturdy upside down configuration
    - radial brakes
    - 35mm triple clamp offset [Closer to Gens 4-6 40mm offset than most sportbike USD triple clamp offsets which are 30mm]
    - Honda steering bearing compatibility
    - Usable steering stop tabs [With slight modification]

Cons:
    - to use the VFR1200 triples on the RC36 Gen 3, the upper fairing bracket needs to be cut and modified
    - the lower VFR1200 clamp is an unusual 55mm diameter [Almost all other USD forks use a 54mm bottom clamp]
    - the upper VFR1200 triple clamp is not a true gull wing like the popular CBR929 upper clamp, so it does not provide extra space to mount handlebars above the triples when using forks shorter than stock.
    - it's not easy to find VFR1200 triple clamps

And one more downside I've noticed:

- Only the Deluxe Model VFR1200 forks have rebound adjustment