Forum Folder to Discuss Other Motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by SammichTheStout, Apr 5, 2015.

1. SammichTheStout

SammichTheStout New Member

Can we have a folder to discuss other motorcycles? Maybe right beneath "General VFR Discussion"?

2. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    What are your thoughts on Ducati's new Scrambler? I think the Urban Enduro version of it is dead sexy. I would love to get one, but it comes with the Ducati cost and maintenance.

ducati-urban-enduro.jpg

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

You do realize that the maintenance on Ducati's isn't what it used to be. If you can do your own wrenching, you don't have to pay for dealer service cost. As for any "special" tools needed to work on Desmodromic engines, there are several places on the Internet where you can get what you need. I just did a service on my 95 900SS, took less than a day and that was changing timing belts, checking valves and oil change. Although I had a helper doing the valve check while I worked on a carb issue. All valves were in spec after 6k miles.

BTW, this is from the Ducati website
    "The enjoyment of riding, reliability and maximum containment of maintenance costs are among the main criteria that drive every engineering project in Ducati. We have spread out services to intervals of 15,000 miles and on some models the main Desmo Service is not necessary until 18,000 miles. Even the simplest services, the Oil Service, have been spaced out to 7,500 miles or 9,000 miles, values that represent an absolute reference for high performance engines."

So the myth of being too costly to maintain or ridiculous maintenance schedules has been busted IMO.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

Sounds like some dude at a dealership is protecting his turf. Kind of like Pasta a la Putanesca without anchovies or garlic at a Godfathers Pizzeria in the middle of Nebraska.

What does the cookbook on your Duc say aboot the intervals on your 95?

5. Badbilly

United States
    We discuss Harleys on a regular basis like Fox News, fair and balanced.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    love FOX, Kelly and Dana are dream-boats. I am sure I could impress them with my mechanical knowledge and excellent martini mixing skills :pound: Every time I would order anchovies I would get chit about eating poosy. I mean WTF?

I do oil changes at 2000 miles on my bikes, they run synthetic, to my horror, I just discovered that I went 1200 miles over on my new 93 "Mach-One" heaven forbid doing a 6000 mile service. Its like the car manufacturers going to higher oil service so your cars burn up and you have to buy a new one. Just my two-cents CHeeRszz

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    That ducati looks cool, but if I was not with my wife, I would take a date with Dana or Kelly over owning that bike. :loco:

8. Badbilly

United States
    Start messing with those "foxes" and you could end up not only with no garlic or anchovies, but having your weiner schnitzeled, stirred or shaken.

9. SammichTheStout

Well then, off we go... I wouldn't mind having a scrambler in my garage. There ain't a maintenance item in existence that deters me from doing it myself! Oh, right... I just got back from the dealer yesterday... Anyway, before I sprung for the 2014 VFR, the other bike I was considering was the CBR650F for a little over half the VFR's price tag. I still want to see if there is anyone willing to let me ride theirs...?

10. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    The VFR is pretty much out of my price range. The CBR650F is an attractive, affordable alternative. But the bike that's standing out both performance and price-wise is the FZ-07. I looked at both the 07 and 09 yesterday. Reminiscent of an angry hornet, the look could grow on you but with next to nothing in front of the tank (e.g. fairing/headlight), it feels like your sitting on a unicycle with handlebars. Not sure I like it.

11. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    It's a little squatty too.

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well 20 years ago, the 2v motor belt and valve inspections was at 3k miles and belt replacement was at 12k miles or every 2 years. Later model years that was changed to 15k miles or every 4 years with the introduction of better reinforced belts, which actually applies to earlier models as well. I believe it was somewhere around 2000 that they changed the valve inspection to every 6k and in 2007 went to 7500 miles, but in these cases it was meant for engines produced after those dates. Based on even more current information, this has gone up as well. I have chosen to do the valve inspections every 6k or if I am feeling like they need to be looked at, as past experience had shown 3k seemed a little too frequent for what was needed.

Although there are "special" tools to make the job go easier on the 2v motors, which is what I understand the Scrambler uses, these tools are not necessary. We did the valve inspection using most commonly used hand tools, metric sockets, Allen wrenches, screw drivers and feeler gauges. The only caveat is when removing the valve bucket, you'll need/want a set of locking forceps or similar tool to hold the valve stem. The only other tool that comes in handy is the crankshaft turning tool, but if you do not have the belts attached it wouldn't be needed. Some aftermarket manuals and how-to videos show doing the valve adjustment sans timing belts. As long as you know "which way is up" when you're doing it this way, it's pretty simple and a little quicker. You just have to be sure the exact location of the timing marks before putting the belts back on, otherwise it could be very catastrophic!

All that being said, the more advanced Ducati engines have a little more to them than the 2v ,motors and would probably require more mechanical aptitude do some of these maintenance task, which would be more similar to doing them on a VTEC motor, i.e. more valves, water cooling, more condensed motor and working parts. But since the intervals are more inline with those of some Japanese bikes, the amount of maintenance isn't that different, the actual cost of parts and labor would be where the difference is and here, shopping around for the right shop/mechanic comes into play.

13. Badbilly

United States
    Well done but finding a cheap Duc dealer might be like asking for Jo-jo's at a fish&chips stand in Brighton.

14. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    It would be nice to actually have a brand spanking new bike instead of someone else cast away. Do not get me wrong, I love the VFR and it is a fantastic bike and I am glad that I purchased it. There is just the allure of taking a virgin bike of the show room floor and making it your own. I have always loved Ducatis and planned to make the 2004 Monster 620 Dark as my first bike, but then I heard about all the valve adjustments that you had to do and it just turned me off of them. I still love them and would love to have one, but as a college student it is still just out of my price range. I got to see the basic Scrambler model at NoCo Eurosport dealer (Ducs, BMW, Triumph) and it was already, but then they told me about this so I looked it up. Seemed ideal for most roads around Colorado that I would venture in on the back country, but they did have a really nice GS650 for $5k that was an old CSU police bike that would have made a great commuter and play around bike.

RobVG, Did you look at the FJ-09 or just the FZ-09? I heard the the FZ-09 was undersprung in the front and has throttle response issues (being not so smooth). It was reported that the FJ-09 fixed all that was wrong with the FZ. Albeit, it is starting at 10,500 compared to $8,200, but I figure you'd spend that much upgrading the stock suspension of the FZ.

15. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

That FJ-09 comes standard with abs and traction control, also besides the improvements that were mentioned, they increased the fuel capacity by a bit more than a gallon and increased the length of the sub-frame to accommodate there hard luggage. The FJR bags also fit, plus more than 30 accessories available! Pretty nice for $10,500 IMO.
    John

16. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    Another couple things that I did not know about, Thanks John! It almost seems like they are attempting an inline 3cyl version of the VFR, but with an already more upright seating position and coming in at $2k less than a new viffer, it seems like something to really consider. I know that there is nothing comparable to the lovely V4 sound, but an extra 2k to spend on farkles or a set of factory side bikes is nice.

17. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    So many motorcycles, so little time and money . . .

18. Badbilly

United States
    Aka, wish in one hand and........

19. SammichTheStout

I really would have liked to ride that little CBR650F. I suspect that until I do, there will be that little bubble of curiosity in my brain that just won't leave it alone.