Free-new fender eliminator

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Webber, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Webber

Webber New Member

AAA 6TH GEN>anyone interested... YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY (ANY) FENDER ELIMINATOR FOR 6th GEN. YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE INSTALLED ON 2002-2009 VFR. :biggrin:First take off the seat and set it aside. Use a 10mm socket and remove the two bolts at the back of the storage area and two more behind that on the bottom of the frame gently. The back two can be a bugger to remove if you don't have a magnet to retrieve them.

Second, unhook the wire that runs down to the light that illuminates the license plate, should be a coupling that you press on a release lever and pull em apart without damaging the wires.

Third get on yer back with a 12mm socket. Undo the two bolts on the underside that the fender connects the frame to. Then gently pull the Fender off without snagging the lamp cord.

Fourth step is to remove the license plate and turn the fender over on its back. Undo all the bolts on the back of the fender and you should have several pieces left over. Put aside all the plastic and rubber pieces. You will need to scrounge up some bolts and washers to hook the frame that holds the light fixture + plate holder to the metal frame. Once together, reattach the metal frame to the underside of the motorcycle in reverse order that you took it off. You do not have to put on the front 2 bolts if you wish (ones in the cargo area) they don't help hold up the frame.

Fifth, run the cord for the light up through the hole you pulled it from when you originally removed it from the bike and reconnect the couplings. Then reattach your license plate.

Sixth - turn on the bike without starting the engine. The light fixture should turn on unless you damaged the wires by yanking on them like a gorilla. Give the license plate frame a gentle tug from all angles, it shouldn't wiggle at all. Double check your work and make sure everything is snug.

It is also easy, free and reversible.. HONESTLY, YOU WILL SAVE BIG BUCKS AND IT LOOKS F*KEN AWESOME :cool: (THANKS TO SEA OTTER for his previous post) Once you start, don't rush and it will be clear as you go along !!! GOOD LUCK

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Did it - easy - awesome

3. jetdoc

jetdoc New Member

Can you post a pic? Idlove to see how it looks!

Cheers
    John

4. AussieLuke

AussieLuke New Member

Map
    This is what mine looks like after doing similar mod.

IMG_0150.jpg IMG_0152.jpg IMG_0153.jpg Hope this helps. Cheers

5. jetdoc

jetdoc New Member

Very nice looking! Thanks! I did away with the tail light and used an led license plat surround. That helps too! I think I will do your mod!

6. AussieLuke

AussieLuke New Member

Map
    'specially when the price is right, LOL

7. dougk35

dougk35 New Member

Cut off the excess length of bolts.:smile:

8. Fizzer

Fizzer New Member

Fender Eliminator

I'm about to go ahead with this eliminator advice. I've been looking for months how to do this, because in Western Australia the plates are 254mm x 100mm, we can't use the Competition Werkes model.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted.

9. AussieLuke

AussieLuke New Member

Map
    It won't take long, and if you leave the bolt lengths original, you can always undo it ;)

10. Fizzer

Fizzer New Member

Hey Aussie Luke!

I'm patiently drilling two new holes a little further up, on the bracket so the license plate will sit closer to the bike, just off the Staintunes. Should be good. I'll take a photo.

Wish I had some proper metal drill bits, it's taken an age!!!

11. Fizzer

Fizzer New Member

Hey there Aussie Luke again, job done, really pleased with the result. All this time I've been looking around for a solution to the hideous mudguard, and it was there all the time! As I said, I drilled a set of holes (took ages) further up the bracket so the assembly sits closer to the pipes. Looks great and shows off the Pirelli. I also decided to take off the grab rails; what a difference. Pictures should upload with some luck in a minute.

Thanks very much for your very welcome tip mate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  12. AussieLuke

AussieLuke New Member

Map
    No problems mate

13. AussieLuke

AussieLuke New Member

Map
    Wasn't mine originally tho, was Webbers'

14. Fizzer

Fizzer New Member

You're right, sorry Webber, thanks for the help!

15. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Just did this on my '09 without a hitch, though I will say getting those two back screw out without a magnet was a pain (albeit possible). The only thing I would add is as follows: on the front of the assembly, directly underneath the license plate light, there are two screws that attach the plate frame to the ugly plastic thing and the metal bracket that attaches to the bike. These two screws use little sleeve/washer/spreader thingies that I had to remove and set aside. You'll figure it out anyway, as the frame won't screw on snugly to the bracket if they are there, but maybe this will save someone 5 minutes...

Super easy regardless, thanks again to the original poster and discoverer.

16. jayburls

jayburls New Member

Thanks for the detailed break down on how to be rid of that huge mud flap. :) thx to tyarosevic[SUB][/SUB]h also, got rid of those spacers to make it tighten up perfectly. Just wish I'd read the whole thread first.lol.
    I replaced some bolts with slightly shorter ones so I wouldn't need to cut them or leave them sticking to far out also. No need for washer/spacers either. :biggrin:
    image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  17. styx

styx New Member

ok, so the fact that this mod is free, completely reversible and seemed easy convinced me to try it out.
    First I'd like to say that I spent about 1 hour on the bolt under the seat, next to the taillight because I didn't have a long enough socket that would fit through the hole in the frame :frown:
    So if you start this project make sure you have a good tool kit or you'll end up in despair.

Below you can see a set of before-after pictures.
    I'm not really convinced by the current looks of the mod, but I'll re-spray paint the frame black and hopefully that will do it.
    If not, then I'll also try to mount the light fixture back on to mask the (imho) ugly frame. Most of the SS bikes here run without a light for the license plate so removing it altogether will probably not cause me any issues with the authorities.

Any suggestions or pointers are welcome!

[​IMG]

Yes....that is a fairly new Sebring Carbon exhaust and I love it :tongue:

18. styx

styx New Member

ok, so painting the frame did it for me and I'm now quite pleased with the end result :wink:

Fotor0821101657.jpg

19. Webber

Webber New Member

hEY gUYS ---BEEN A WHILE *****Do ya homework first COZ size of the number plate and original mufflers will have huge bearing on cosmeticSSSS. SEE ATTACHed. Another gain is the original pipes weigh a ton compared to these aftermarkets and the NEW sound is SWEET AS YA NANNA.....the hotter they get. I hope this cool photo of mine translates tthe appeal factor, so far no COPPERS bitchin. Australia has small plates and my NEXT best move is to stick on a small reflector tho. GOOD LUCK ....
    :cool:from WEBBER..........p.s. this is my 08 old bike the new one 010 is pract. indentical

Attached Files:

20. Webber

Webber New Member

This is my 010 latest (2 years old now) on trip over to Philip Island in 012. Did drill two extra holes to bring everything higher up of course which are totally invisible if done carefully and homework done. ... DONT RUSH........ WEBBER*********:smile::cool::smile:

Attached Files: