Front end service and coolant/heat issue

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Wands434, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Wands434

Wands434 New Member

United States
    So last night decided to do the front wheel bearings. Couldn't find any info online, but I continued anyhow to make a long story short I broke off a part of rim where the bearing sat against. I added a shim and got it back together.

What is the actual process for bearing removal. I couldn't get my drift in there because of inside spacer collar.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I played around with laser thermos the guage gets up to the max range as soon I hit traffic but it won't recover once on highway. Only if bike is shut down. But you can ride 2h of highway at half temp. So I took some pics. What do u think

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I have thermostat on order as well as a bottle of engine ice I'm going to flush system. It typically gets hotter on guage than it was in the pics. Fan comes on at about 3/4 of guage width

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As far as the wheel bearings go, a bearing puller is what I use, sometimes referred to as a "blind bearing puller". If you don't want to spend the money to have one in the tool box, you could most likely rent one from an auto parts store.
    I grabbed a set from Harbor freight and used their 20% off coupon. The kit looks like this...

[​IMG]

3. Wands434

Wands434 New Member

United States
    Ahh. So like a slide hammer puller. I'll definitely pick one up. I'm probably going to buy a new rim.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I thought I would only use it once or twice, turns out I've used it about 6 times already!

5. Wands434

Wands434 New Member

United States
    I probably should have asked before I started but I have never had wheel bearings kick my butt before. Well lessons learned. How does the grabber grab with the spacer inside the rim. Mine was so tight against each bearing I couldn't get it out of the way enough to hit them from the inside

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Hmm, good question. Although I have used the puller several times I don't recall the spacer being a problem. My recollection is that there was just enough wiggle room that the lip of the insert was able to grab at the point where the bearing and spacer meet. A couple of slides of the hammer and then I readjusted the insert. One trick for removing the bearing, is heating up the rim around the area where the bearing sits. When installing the same can be done, but place the bearing in the freezer for a few minutes and use anti-seize compound on the outside of the bearing. They should slip in real easy.

7. pittmeister

pittmeister New Member

Last time I had issues getting a drift past the spacer I ended up removing the inner race on one bearing. Then you can just take out the spacer and can easily hammer the bearing on the opposite side out. Passably reassemble the remaining bearing and hit it out too. Doesn't take that much more time in the end and is very satisfying after trying and failing to make the conventional way work.

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Don't use any cheap Chinese wheel bearings, including Allballs !!! :eagerness:

Quality bearings are from Japan, Germany, USA, or Sweden ONLY :sentimental:

9. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    A rawl bolt from a diy store works just grand.