Front fender

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by chris.neale, Jun 6, 2020.

1. chris.neale

chris.neale New Member

United Kingdom
    So I’ve got a cracked front fender in black and want to replace it, it’s only a small crack so not the end of the world. Unfortunately the new market seems to have run out and if there were one it would be ridiculously expensive so into second hand and all the black ones I can find are badly scratched.
    Don’t fancy painting/having one painted so that got me thinking.....
    Are there any other fenders in black (or yellow, red etc for others) that will just bolt straight on

And over to the collective brain .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LauraM likes this.
  2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Depending on what the crack is... I have repaired plastic with Permatex Plastic Epoxy, it is tough, can be filed/sanded/painted, comes in black or natural. Perhaps create a little V on the back side, clean it and the surrounding area well, helps to scuff up a bit, and paint it on... you have likely 10 minutes working time before it starts to set up, so you can smooth it out, whatever. A little thickness coat added second time around (or first) can spread the strength out on the back where it won't be seen.
    Face side will always show the crack, but in black and depending where it is and how close you can squeeze it togther...... well, let's just say you can't see it at 30 mph so get over it, LOL.

LauraM likes this.
  3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I have cracks on my fender, and I made patches with some 1/16 inch thickness poly sheet and glue with plastic glue over the cracks on the inside of the fender.

Well the cracks are still there, but not growing any more...

LauraM likes this.
  4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I have been using Permatex Plastic Welder epoxy on the ABS fairings on my Silverwing and that stuff is incredible. If you want to make it more incredible you can get some glass fibre tape used for drywall joints and press that into the adhesive as well.

5. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Acetone is the solvent to use, ABS is 60% styrene and acetone, used with a syringe, will dissolve the edges, hold them in place and in minutes they’re welded .... rebuilt the fairing on my RC24 recently from a collection of cracks and missing chunks

There is of course ABS cement available from builders merchants where it’s used to solvent weld pipes .... Home Depot do this

A2C26394-CC1D-45CF-A787-ECDC2E48DF85.jpeg

mello dude likes this.