Front Fork Swap Question

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Bubba Zanetti, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hey, I just read I can swap a CBR F3's front forks with my stock 97 forks.

Anybody heard about this and what, if any other parts I might need if I did such a switch?

Thanks all for any information.

BZ

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If you want to sell the front off your VFR i think i could squeeze it onto my VTR 250......

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Actually they do, But because I couldn't find any good ones, I just swapped out the insides then added in Race tech goodies. so now I have rebound dampening which helped a lot. Next is compression damping off a F4, but just found out the fork legs have a different lower so now it's time for a bit more research. Did find out the fork legs of a NSR 250 look to swap out, but yea right, who's going to have them setting around. Ha.

4. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, but I would keep the stock set for back up:smile:

BZ

5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    RVFR:

Thanks for the confirmation, so the forks will totally swap and I don't need a different axel or anything?

BZ

6. waldrm

waldrm New Member

forks

F3 forks will work with a 1KG spring set added. The best option for the VFR is to use forks from a late model VTR1000 Superhawk to get the rebound and damping adjustment but retain the stock front calipers. Superhawk weight is comparable to the VFR so no spring changes are required.

7. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Waldrm:

Thanks man, that's what I am looking for! I want to be able to just swich the forks without having to change brakes, etc. Just swap them out!

BZ

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    The other thing that IMO needs addressed is the front wheel issue in which one are you interested in using, yes the swap works when you use all of an F3, theres the rub for me I would rather use my front wheel, so I never went the full on swap, I also have heard that the VTRs swap too. But you sure there's compression damping? and again I'd be doing some research on that wheel fitment with brakes too. Hmm all good food for thought.
    What I'm about to do now is the whole F4i thing, and I am in the middle of finding out whats what, as those axles are different and if a bearing switch will be able to work so I can use my front rim.

9. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Well, I was looking to avoid complications, so depending on some other information I am waiting on it looks like I will be purchasing stronger springs from race-tech and some heavier oil and that's all!

Thanks everyone for you input. The budget may not allow for the F3 switch.

BZ

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I had good feed back from going to a 7.5wt. fork oil. I also have .95 springs with a shim stack. If I was to do it again I'd go .90 springs, as great as they are, on the open road They're a bit taught. figure thats the price I pay for being able to hold a good line in the twistys.

11. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Just got off the phone with race-tech and for what I want they recommended the spring rate and their 5 wt. oil.

All said and done around 150.00.

Sounds good to me!

BZ

12. fotomoto

fotomoto New Member

Having owned two VTR's and a moderator on the superhawk forum, I can tell you those forks ain't so great. Plus you don't get compression adjustment. You also need to be concerned with length when doing leg swaps.

I've put F4i units on both my VTR and 96 VFR. They are about 1/2 inch shorter. You get full adjustment PLUS larger 43mm legs (need triples, axle and spacers, and clip ons) and can upgrade the brakes (can't use 4gen calipers). Depending on your weight, you may need new springs.

Probably more than you want to do but not only would you have a better, stiffer front end, you'd also have MUCH better brakes; a benefit many folks end up appreciating more than the forks.

13. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Bubba - a better way to go is to grab some super hawk forks - or like I did on my 5th gen use the super hawk lowers and vfr uppers and then use the super hawk guts. You would have to but I ended up getting the entire assembly respringed and revalved. --- A least add some stiffer springs to it.

Of course with the super hawk lowers you need the brake calipers or fotomoto suggests using 2001 -2002 GSXR 1000 front calipers - they will be a bolt on.

Having been thru a job like this - you need to plan out the stuff. You wont believe all the crap that comes up, the one thing that leads to another and then another. :eek: :crazy:

To help out read the delink saga ---
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/brake-ti...ad-s-delinking-brake-saga-interceptor-ss.html

MD

I guess I should add that I went kinda bassackwards on this thing - who knows why but I had zero info when I started. I was just bent on trashing the stock brakes. That lead to the what about the forks and on and on. If I had found more research or bumped into fotomoto earlier I may have gone a different route. For now I'm outta bucks.

- Still the bike works pretty damn good, I am fairly happy with it.

14. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Damn Moto & MD!

Thanks for the love all LOL!

I really do appreciate the suggestions. And MD you hit the nail on the head, I don't want the project to turn into...now I need this part and that part and those parts!!!! Screw that. I just want to upgrade my front a little. I have been learning how to set my suspension and, as you guys know, when you start to push the VFR in a track environment the front is well...not so good LOL! Its fine for the street and general mayhem, but I want it a bit better. The 97 is going to have to do double duty as a street/ track bike. If I go crazy with mods all that cash will eat up my track day funds. I'd rather be getting some seat time at the moment. So that's the story.

I hoped the F3 swap would be painless, but apperantly not :).

Well again, I thank you all for the info. Helps with the decision.

BZ

15. fotomoto

fotomoto New Member

Going to the track huh? Well you didn't mention that. :) Going with a full front end is definitely money better spent IMO:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999...013QQitemZ230199411968QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...001QQitemZ110201723167QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

all for less than $400 shipped. Only need spacers ($10) and clipons and maybe springs (sonic $80) down the road if you find them too soft.

Edit: crap, forgot about front fender. Hard to find good cheap ones but the 99F4 is the same red if that matters to you. The F4i red has more orange in it although most don't notice (see my avatar).

16. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Well - for a get away cheap, try some stiffer springs in the front and an aftermarket shock for the rear. Its not whole hog but its still an upgrade to get you to the track. Then later if you decide to screw with the front, the rear is set and you can go from there. I remember from my 4th gen it was softly sprung like a poko stick and drove me nuts. :wacko:

Now take those saved bucks and spend 'em on the track day.

MD

17. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Update:

Well the 97 is with the mechanic I go to here in Delaware.

Race-Tech .95 springs and Honda F3 internals will be installed with 5 wt. oil.

Along with some general maintenance I do care to do LOL!

The F3 parts are supposed to be here today!

BZ

18. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Sounds cool - ya gonna do a rear shock?

MD

19. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    At some point MD I will do a rear shock, but probably not until next riding season, god willing, anyway.

I really need to pick up a back protector and some other gear.

So the rear will have to wait.

BZ