Front Wheel Conversion - Top Triple Clamp

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by blairmac, Mar 24, 2020.

1. blairmac

blairmac New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hello all - hope you are all keeping your distance and avoiding COVID in the garage... a great excuse to make progress on some projects.

I'm doing a front conversion on my '86 VFR750 and noticed that the new top triple clamp isn't the same configuration as my stock, so the fuse box won't mount up - anyone else experienced this? Is there an exact year of F2 or F3 that I should have grabbed for a direct fit?

I also have a Euro spec set of triples, but the top yoke is different as well..

Thx
    Blair

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    There's not a "direct fit" for this application. You are going to have to relocate the fuse box somewhere or have some tabs welded, drilled and tapped on your top triple of choice to try and mount in the original location.

There are some options. I mounted mine down to the left on the RC26. It would easily clear the stock bodywork and hide under the left inner cover for access. I actually used the bracket that holds the Evap Canister on a Cali model, the holes nearly lined up.
    [​IMG]

You could also source a fuse box from a Euro 88-89 VFR and mount remotely. I got one for the build I'm starting now with a 1994 F2 front end.

(not mine, just a picture)
    [​IMG]

I've also considered a 1984 VF1000F top triple clamp. It is 41mm with the correct geometry and houses a fuse box under the cover. It would not be plug and play due to the VFR ignition switch plugging into the fuse box leads, not the main wire harness. But certainly doable.

[​IMG]

The 1985 VF700F fuse panel is a blade style version that bolts right into place under the cover. (which reminds me, I need to order this style for my 1000F)

[​IMG]

The cover can be trimmed down to give the cables more room and look a little more modern.
    My 1984 VF1000F with 1990-93 VFR bars.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    blairmac likes this.
  3. blairmac

blairmac New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thank you Captain 80's.... some excellent options and advice. Much appreciated!